A new pizza question

Options
The only other dieting I ever did was several years ago with the atkins plan.

IT WORKED.

The first week I lost ten pounds! Then... it stabalized and I got "stuck", nothing more came off and I was discouraged and abandoned the whole thing.

My question is... I'm still thinking like an atkins dieter... meat, cheese, egg, etc... = GOOD...

So, now my pizza question.

Is it better calorie-wise to remove the crust and just eat the topping? Will it save a person any to skip the crust?????

Sorry for the odd question.

The pizza was from a place called Prime Time Pizza and was cut in squares on delivery. I ate two squares (about 3x4) then found myself with another two... oh, dear oh dear!!!!... but pulled off the topping and ate it like that. :-/

Wondering... did I completely mess myself up today??? AND... did it help to skip that crust??????

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The only other dieting I ever did was several years ago with the atkins plan.

IT WORKED.

The first week I lost ten pounds! Then... it stabalized and I got "stuck", nothing more came off and I was discouraged and abandoned the whole thing.

My question is... I'm still thinking like an atkins dieter... meat, cheese, egg, etc... = GOOD...

So, now my pizza question.

Is it better calorie-wise to remove the crust and just eat the topping? Will it save a person any to skip the crust?????

Sorry for the odd question.

The pizza was from a place called Prime Time Pizza and was cut in squares on delivery. I ate two squares (about 3x4) then found myself with another two... oh, dear oh dear!!!!... but pulled off the topping and ate it like that. :-/

Wondering... did I completely mess myself up today??? AND... did it help to skip that crust??????

Carrie
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This is what I do when I'm hungry for pizza.

Whole wheat tortilla, brush one side lightly with olive oil. Put oiled side down on a baking sheet to keep from sticking.

Top with pizza sauce or marinara sauce (find the kind without sugar)
    Turkey sausage (make sure to remove casing, crumble and cook in a pan first)
    Sliced mushrooms
    Sliced green peppers
    Shredded low fat Mozzarella cheese (the fat free kind don't melt right)

Bake at 375 until the tortilla is crispy.

Yummy!!
  • NatashaJanzen
    Options
    I guess it depends what the topping consisted of...
    Pizza crust contains quite a few calories...but so does cheese...cheese is good for you...and bread is good for you too (although some people think otherwise)
    I guess what it really comes down to is what you ate for the remainder of the day...if you had already consumed quite a bit of grain products in the day, then skipping the crust probably was a good choice...
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    Thinking of carbs as the bad guys is pretty common, but when I went on the low carb diet, my LDL went way too high. Keep remembering BALANCE. If you look at the old food pyramid, the bottom level is for cereal and grains. Don't avoid them like the plague, include them with all the other stuff. They fill us up and help us to stay on our reasonable diet! I just try to make most of my breads, etc. whole grain and/or high fiber. Well, I should say, I INTEND to do that!!! :tongue:

What I did the one time I had pizza was to eat the slices of pizza but left off the big fat crust. It ishard to figure the calories, but I just made my best educated guess.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    carrie,

dshandt is right about the low carb thing. Carbs are not the enemy, processed carbs are the enemy, or more specifically simple carbs. Simple carbs break down VERY fast in the body and are transformed into glucose faster then the body can use them, this raises blood sugar levels and insulin levels, which triggers fat storage. Complex carbs (along with fiber, protein, and healthy fats) take much longer to break down then simple carbs, this allows the body a chance to use the fuel that it is generating, that means your blood sugar doesn't spike, this not only keeps you from storing extra fat, it also keeps the LDL cholestorol and triglyceride levels lower.
    A diet high in protein and low in carbohydrates causes the body to shed water weight fast, thus your very fast early weight loss, your body was stripping cells of excess water and electrolytes (which it needs). Various studies suggest that yes, for the first 3 months or so an Atkins diet will help you lose weight faster, but over a 6 month period the plan worked no better then other diets that use regular calorie counting. Add this to the fact that you are eliminating a whole host of foods that are normally good for you and healthy and you really run into the issue of difficulty in keeping on the diet.

read this article on webmd about "diets" vs healthy lifestyle.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20070411/diets-dont-work-long-term