Browsing for foods?

MaryMBacon
MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm new to MFP and I'm having some frustration finding foods. For example one restaurant is not in the database but the food is, however I can't see the calories it seems until I add it to my plan. yesterday we ordered out so I KNEW my meal had 380 calories from the restaurant website. and I had to select foods and enter them and see if they came close ~ took me 3 tries to find a 6 oz sirloin that was close to what I had eaten. I certainly don't expect every restaurant in the country to get added (but would be nice) and I try to order simple things without a lot of "special sauces" in general but is there a browse feature where I can look for what I want. When I put in pork ribs and #6 the calorie range was up over 1K calories ~ IDK what was in the 2k calorie ribs but OMG I hope those weren't the ones I ate. I don't eat a LOT of processed foods, I get eggs from a farmers market and so the bar code scanner ROCKS when I can use it but quite often I don't have a UPC code on my food. Adding a food manually is not a great option for me at lunch meetings at work so if this feature where I can browse works it would rock because I could also use it to make my shopping list and meal plan.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    If you want to see the nutritional stats for an item while using the website then select it in the white box on the left of the page, and in the grey box on the right side click "nutrition" it is in blue below the name, should bring up the info on the food do you don't have to add it to see it.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    If you know what the calorie content is, but you're not all that worried about your macros then I sometimes just quick add calories. I do that sometimes when I eat out or somewhere where I can't control what's in the meal.
  • MaryMBacon
    MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
    is there a way to do that from the phone, it's usually when I'm not home that I'm having this issue
This discussion has been closed.