Fresh Cranberry Recipe- Please Help!

Options
ReneeDawalga5100
ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
My husband knows I LOVE fruit and brought home a bag of Cranberry's. I have no idea what to do with thiem instead of a sugar packed cranberry sauce. Can you eat them out of the bag???
I look forward to any suggestions on how i can eat them.
Thanks!

Replies

• Chiefkeef420
    Options
    I just throw a few packs of sugar twin on a 2 cups of Cranberries and microwave it for 2 minutes, I think it tastes good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cranberries are extremely tart .....even Craisins have added sugar. You can experiment though with adding fruit juice instead of water and then adding less sugar....or using Splenda or Truvia.

The basic recipe is 1 bag of washed berries, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar. Boil in a saucepan until berries stop popping (a couple of minutes). I find the 3/4 cup of sugar is plenty. If I used apple juice instead of water, I would cut back on the sugar even more.

I like a raw berry relish using grated orange peel and then adding the berries plus the rest of the (peeled) orange in a food processor....after everything is chopped up, add sugar. I start with 1/2 cup. Refrigerate for a couple hours, sample the relish and then add more sugar if needed. If your orange is sweet enough....you should be good to go.
  • jen076
    jen076 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Check out this recipe for Cranberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip‏. It has a lot of weird ingredients but it is so good.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/12/cranberry-jalapeno-cream-cheese-dip-sugar-rush-reinvented-7.html
  • hanksroommate
    Options
    You could try baking them into scones or muffins or maybe pancakes like you would with blueberries.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This cranberry sauce is delicious, and really easy to make:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/cranberry-pineapple-sauce.html

ETA: I don't chop the cranberries first, I just toss them in the pan whole and it works out just fine, and I use canned crushed pineapples in juice (the recipe doesn't specify which type of canned pineapple to use - crushed, chunks, rings, etc...)
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You could try baking them into scones or muffins or maybe pancakes like you would with blueberries.

I like this idea. I would be looking for a Cranberry-Orange quick bread recipe and sub some Whole Wheat flour, cut down some of the sugar, use skim milk, add some walnuts for fiber and protein, etc.