someone smart sort this one out? fructose and body building

Options
is it another of those BS things that eating fructose whist trying to build muscle is a bad idea?

in other words, cutting fruits and all that jazz.

Trying to cut through the amount of fake information on the net is a killer. Anyone got the truth?

cheers.

Replies

• ktrites
    ktrites Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    4th year nutrition student here:)

So, to start out, I would like to say that most nutritional science is theory, and there is rarely any hard facts with this sort of thing. But, I found an article that describes exactly what I would have written out for you
    http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/public/491.cfm

Summarized, it pretty much says that the sugars in fruit, namely Fructose, are metabolized differently in the body. And unfortunately, muscle cannot break down fructose for energy. this is not to say that fruit makes you fat...it just may be in your best interest to cut down all the major carbs you are eating.

Oh the other hand, as much as I am a strong believer in fitness.....be aware that the long term health benefits of eating fruit on a moderate basis (especially low carb fruits like berries) is worth the cost of a couple extra pounds. Cancer and heart disease are real things people!
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    that is perfect, thanks very much Ktrites :) really great of you to reply to this, will take it on board!