Seasonal Depression..

Options
Anyone?

I know im not the only one. For the first 18yrs I didnt get this but thats because I lived in Florida where we have sunshine practically year round. Now I live in the midwest where it can get really dark and gloomy out. Blah!! It is starting.

I have noticed I had been more tired and eating more sugary stuff. I normally can keep that stuff to a minimum. So I busted out my light box again. Hopefully in a few days I will be back to normal. For those that dont know light therapy works wonders for me. I got mine off amazon I was apprehensive at first when I bought it two yrs ago but I was desperate and didnt want to take meds.

I wonder how this will affect my weight loss....April is a long time from now. that is usually when I can put the light box away.

I exercise 4x a week and even tho I was feeling tired and blah I still went to the gym. But in the past exercise was not enough to overcome the SAD. So if anyone else suffers from this look into a light box!!

Replies

• Mommyand4
    Options
    I don't think that I get the depression but I have noticed that I will tend to get anxious and scared when the colder season comes along. I haven't gotten it this year yet but I think its because I have been really busy at work to notice and because it hasn't really begun to get dark yet. I don't like the changes in the season because I don't like to feel afraid. I would say to you to keep on exercising and you are not alone. A lot of people get that and its great that you have your little light box. I thought of purchasing it also but never did. When I go through times of sadness or stress I just try to deal with it by exercising, yoga, meditation or just reading. I will also overcome it by spending quality time with my children and playing with them. Seeing them laugh works wonders for me. It makes me happy to see them happy.

I hope your sadness goes away and if you ever need a friend. I am here.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    grew up in florida myself... 25 years and i was happy but i get that kind of depression now. It started when i moved to NC in 2001 and i still get it here in PA. I love the Fall but when Winter hits and its hard to get out and about I start feeling down. In fact, I am starting to feel it creep up on me again already but I refuse to let it happen this time. I will do whatever I have to to stay off the damn meds they usually talk me into taking. NO NO NO... add me as a friend and lets get throught this Winter together. We'll, rant, cry and ***** to each other and then have it out of our systems so it doesn't fester and grow.:flowerforyou:
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I usually get depressed around Jan-Feb timeframe. That's the middle of Winter and when I start saying "Enough already with the snow. cold and darkness!!!" I dont have to take Meds I just normally exercise more and that helps put me in a better mood. I also try to do more weekend things museum, movies, go out to events to keep myself busy and out the house.

Now that i am thinking about it I am the one who have to open the blinds, drapes anything to let the light in. I love bright colors. I never could understand why my sister keeps her blinds closed and every time I go to her house I am in a bad mood or I start feeling depressed! LOL!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I don't get full on depression but do get the blahs. I try to get outside as much as possible while the sun is out. I sneak in a few minutes at lunch or before I get in my car to go to work. On the weekends I try to be outside, doing yard work or walking.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am looking into getting a light box. What kind do you have? I'm originally from Sunny Southern California. Now I live in Utah. Ugh. I hate snow!

It has been pretty bad in years past, but it has been improving over the last two years as I've figured out what works for me. Being active is key for me. I keep busy doing as much as possible. My house is near immaculate in the winter time because getting up and cleaning for hours me so much. Instant gratification and just being active and busy.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression and anxiety in general but the winter does make it worse and I have a lightbox... soon to be that time of year again. Sigh.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Ohio with severe, undiagnosed SAD! I've been in NM for 11-12 years where it isn't a problem so long as I get outside every day. That even helped in OH, though not enough. Frankly, I hadn't even considered the SAD this year but you are right, we are going to have to be more vigilant if we want to maintain the lifestyle changes we have started.
    Maybe I should get a lightbox for my office. I'll look them up.
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am a mental health counselor and I am seeing a lot more people with depression this time of year. It is a very real thing! I usually recomend a vitamin suppliment for those struggling with depression, but only seasonally. My two favs are St. Johns Wart and SAM-e. Of the two SAM-e is my favorite. They have been using SAM-e in other countries for years!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    When I started noticing that tendency in myself, I did some research and ended up taking mega-doses of Vitamin D3, like 100,000IU per day for a while. I had my blood tested and found out I was SERIOUSLY deficient. My doctor was very surprised about all of this, but went along with it and was surprised - again - at the dose I needed to take to get back to 'normal.'

That, of course, is the vitamin your body produces naturally when exposed to sunlight.

...of course, that was all before I learned that what I *really* needed were actual antidepressants. (facial twitch, nervous giggle)

I still take 12-15k on days when I remember. I hate the short days.

Anyway, go google Seasonal Affective Disorder and Vitamin D. See if it might suit.

[edit]

I should mention that I bought myself a light box as well, when things were really looking...well... dark. My plan was to bring it to work and use it for a while there, since I went in before sunup and came home after sundown 5x/week. The first day I had it, I set it on top of my car while I was unlocking, then got in and drove away. (picture coffee mug, etc) When I finally realized it was missing, I retraced my steps (driving) and could not find the thing. It was dark, snowy and disgusting out and I seriously almost lost my mind right then and there. My wife never quite understoood, she thought I was overreacting, but... let's just say it was a bad day for me.

Do not underestimate SAD.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Its weird for me. I dont get sad or feel down. Thats why I was not onboard with taking antidepressants especially since it goes away come spring time. I just get so freaking tired. Like cant keep my eyelids open. I could sleep all day and it wouldnt matter I would still feel tired. Not good when you have 3 kids 4 and under. That plus the sugar cravings. I tend to not notice Im feeling off until its been well over a week. I have been dealing with this since I moved here 12 years ago. I just wanted to put this out there in case others were dealing with the same. I spent years not knowing what the heck was wrong with me.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Isn't this caused by a lack of Vitamin D or is that a myth?
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am looking into getting a light box. What kind do you have? I'm originally from Sunny Southern California. Now I live in Utah. Ugh. I hate snow!

It has been pretty bad in years past, but it has been improving over the last two years as I've figured out what works for me. Being active is key for me. I keep busy doing as much as possible. My house is near immaculate in the winter time because getting up and cleaning for hours me so much. Instant gratification and just being active and busy.

I got the suntouchplus I found it on amazon. I think its around 80-100$ Very worth it I got it a few years ago. Just use it in the morning. Plus keep all blinds open and lights on. It gets me going in the morning. I do try and get outside. Today is just rainy and cloudy but at least its not cold yet.
  • AlishaKellert
    Options
    IT happens for me! Last winter, I gained 10 pounds and cried all day because of our long winters. I decided this summer to make a change so I would never have a winter like that again. Taking vitamin D supplements, eating healthy, and the biggest thing for me is to be active everyday. I've already had days this season where I feel blue, but I'm not letting it happen ... so I got active and drank a glass of water and felt better. I'm sure I'll still feel blue, but I'm doing my best. Hang in there, and feel free to message me if you need support. We can do it!

PS - Light therapy is another awesome idea. I don't have a ton of extra money right now, so I can't buy one, or else I would. From all I've read, they do help! So good luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i get the same way. just lose my *spark* when the days start getting shorter. :( i take a lot of vitamin supplements in the winter and hope for the best. i do usually put on 5-10ish pounds. one thing that has helped me continue to exercise is always having a race to train for each month. otherwise, i think i would sit on the couch and turn into a (fat) zombie.
  • eleblanc999
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire, and winter is right around the corner! Luckily for me, Autumn and Winter are my favorite seasons.. however I also tend to want to eat more, and a lot more sugary stuff. What I usually do is just buy cereal that has sugar (i LOVE cocoa pebbles) it kills my sugar craving and it fills me up. I'll eat a bowl without milk and it makes me feel like I'm eating a chocolatey snack. Also, I use my Wii Fit a lot because it keeps me from being bored (and eating out of boredom) plus it's burning calories! If you like to read, reading usually takes my mind off of bored eating and if I want to munch of something, I make some popcorn and I don't eat it out of the bag I keep refilling my bowl so that I can kind of keep an eye on how fast I'm eating it.
  • charltonspinney
    charltonspinney Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hate the low light levels in the winter time , so any tips gratefully received!
  • embaudin
    embaudin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I spent 18 years living in sunny South East Asia - it was summer all year round and going to the beach was a normal weekend! 8 years ago I moved to the UK, and for the first 5 years I could not fathom why every winter I wanted to copy the hedgehogs and go into hibernation till spring! I lost my usual 'zest' for life (I can be quite a hyper person when the occasion allows), I wanted to do nothing but sleep, cry and lose myself in comforting sweet foods. When someone finally told me about S.A.D.S, it was like a light came on and I could finally understand why I felt that way.

I must admit I have never tried using a 'light box' (they are extortionately expensive and difficult to find in the UK). But I do make myself go out a lot more in the winter time and I bundle up more than most folks (8 years and I've still not fully acclimated to the cold). But as a result I ended up feeling hotter when I was out than when I was at home, so when I would get hope I was able to better appreciate the 'nicer' side to winter: curling up under a blanket with a book and huge mug of soup; having scented candles everywhere that made the house smell like cinnamon and gingerbread, I started to keep a 'seasonal garden' (have always loved cooking - my own personal 'therapy' - so being able to change my eating habits to work with the seasons helped a lot). I still have to keep myself in check sometimes and always keep my cupboard stocked with a bottle of vitamin supplements just as a precaution. But its something that can be overcome, you just need to give yourself a change of perspective about winter in order to help the process.
  • njbh86
    njbh86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a mental health counselor and I am seeing a lot more people with depression this time of year. It is a very real thing! I usually recomend a vitamin suppliment for those struggling with depression, but only seasonally. My two favs are St. Johns Wart and SAM-e. Of the two SAM-e is my favorite. They have been using SAM-e in other countries for years!

Be careful if you're thinking of using St. John's Wort and are a female taking the contraceptive pill - St John's Wort will mess with it and make it ineffective!

Just a heads up :)

As far as SAD is concerned, I recommend the natural light lamps you can get - an hour or so of an evening with the lamp on while you read or something is all you need and it'll really help. Although nothing is a substitute for getting outside! :)
  • VeganGypsie
    Options
    Yup, wanting to hibernate now. Eat, sleep, eat, possibly cry, sleep more, make it through work days somehow, usually with lots of caffeine, then eat some more and go to bed by 8. What do you mean its time for a holiday party? Oh well at least there will be carbs.

My husband just ordered me a light box. We shall see.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    S A D - seasonal affective disorder and it's real. Very real. I have it, get it every year and I'm in the midst of it right now. Go to work when it's dark, go home when it's dark. P.J.'s warm comfort dishes and snuggling with my little one's and hubby. I love Spring/Summer!