3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• aimeejolene
    Options
    I had my thyroid tested about two years ago and it was perfect, but I am planning on going to see my doctor again just to double check.

I appreciate all of your help.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hi, at 205 lbs and 1500 calories, you're right, you should be losing weight. It's not undereating, though you could likely eat more and still lose. You don't need to give up your french fries, either. If you are having a huge portion, cutting back a little may help, but it's hard to imagine that you are eating so many french fries as to eliminate your deficit.

If you are weighing/measuring and not losing weight, you should probably see a doctor. You are right that you should be losing at 1500 calories.

Do other scales put you in the same weight range?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I re-read and it says you measure. Do you weigh your food? (I have been finding it even easier than measuring since I got my food scale a few weeks back.)
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    I actually tried that, thinking my scale was busted. No dice - the scale in my workout facility at work says the same. Doh.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For those eating at TDEE -20%, do you eat that amount of calories even on the days that you are not exercising? For example, I am starting TDEE -20% tomorrow 10/16. Scooby states I should be eating 1571 cal per day. On my non-workout days should I eat at 1200 calories?
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    I don't weigh anymore, I've gotten pretty good at knowing by looking since I was weighing at the beginning. I thought that might be my problem, that I was underestimating portion sizes, but I really don't. I tend to be generous with protein since it keeps me happier and full, but I don't eat a whole steak or anything.
  • msmonique46
    msmonique46 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would add more fruit to get your fiber content up, even if it puts you over your sugars daily. Natural sugars from fruits are a good source of energy which should help to boost your metabolism. Also, I would watch my proteins. I too have a very high protein diet and have begun to think that might be counterproductive to my weight loss. However, I love turkey, chicken breast and nuts. It has taken me 2 1/2 months to loose 10 pounds. But, like you, I've seen only a slight difference in the way my clothes fit. Now, this week I've added cardio. I plan to do just 45 minutes 3 days a week because I am anemic and have to control my heart rate, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, the point is slow and steady. I am currently 178.5 and started at 188.5. I want my weight loss plan to be my life long plan. Therefore, unlike times in the past, I am not going to kill myself with exercise and restrict myself from any food. All in moderation and I can maintain this for a life time. It took me to the age of 46 to figure this out, but I think I have it now. (smile) Feel free to friend me, if you would like to be motivation buddies. God bless!!!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I would try weighing again for awhile and see if that makes a difference. Portion sizes can easily mess up your deficit to maintenance.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anymore, I've gotten pretty good at knowing by looking since I was weighing at the beginning. I thought that might be my problem, that I was underestimating portion sizes, but I really don't. I tend to be generous with protein since it keeps me happier and full, but I don't eat a whole steak or anything.

There is a good chance you are not estimating correctly. Go back to weighing everything every time. Good luck!
  • njbh86
    njbh86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am OCD about my caloric intake. I DO measure, I DO count everything that goes in my mouth. Sorry, but it is not "end of story."

If I need to be eating back my calories, then I can do that. I was under the impression I needed to be KEEPING that deficit, not counteracting it entirely. Everything that I have read (and I have read all over the place trying to figure out the problem) says that to lose weight you have to create a deficit, not create it then eat over it.

I am so confused.

By eating 1500cal a day you ARE creating a deficit most likely (You really can't know that for sure without calculating your Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR). Google for BMR calculator or TDEE calculator. Put in your stats, work out your sedentary TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and then set your basic calorie intake to 80% of that number (a 20% cal deficit). Then, when you work out, eat back 80-100% of the cals you work off. Too great a calorie deficit will impede healthy weight loss, and if you're just picking a number (1500 cal) out of the air, there's no science behind it and you could be eating too much or little (although too much is unlikely if you're truly sticking to those numbers). Work with those figures for two weeks. If that isn't working, reduce your intake by another 10% or so.

If this still doesn't work, then you need to do one of two things: 1) see a doctor, because there could be an underlying health issue stopping you from losing. If not, then you need to do 2) - be more honest with yourself about what you're taking in/working off. Calorie counting isn't as easy as people make it sound even if you're a fastidious logger. People put incorrect calorie amounts into MFP all the time (seriously, the fact I can find 6 or 7 different sets of values for the same product that don't agree is proof of this), and it's possible you're just working from bad information. Equally, some people don't like to be truthful with themselves (not saying this is you necessarily) and will get cognitive dissonance when they think they are being good but are occasionally sneaking extra or cheating in little ways. Because they think they're being good and the little extras are just rewards or something, they can't accept that they are over-intaking or whatever - their worldview just will not accept that this is possible, and thererfore something else must be in play.

tl;dr - calculate your BMR and TDEE online, eat 80% of your sedentary TDEE. Eat back your exercise cals (but don't stop exercising!) If this doesn't work, reduce intake by a further 10%. If this doesn't work, you're either kidding yourself or you've a health issue.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Right here. This is your problem... bust out the kitchen scale, be serious and don't just rely on your eyeballs for measuring. My guess is you are not guesstimating as accurately as you think you are. I can eyeball cheese, and meat and that is about it. Pasta, fruit, veggies etc. throw me for a loop every time I think I am correct put it on the scale and guess what I have over guessed and would be eating way more than I should be.

You said you had your thyroid checked - it came back fine. than it is fine. Trust me as someone with a thyroid issue you do NOT want it to be your thyroid. You just don't.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Your diary is closed, you don't weigh food. You are not burning 300 calories in HALF an hour lifting weights. Likely you are over estimating your burn, over estimating your portions and blowing the rest of your deficit on your cheat day.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    I agree, I don't want a thyroid issue! At least then I would know what the heck is going on, but not at that cost.

I checked my BMR. I should be at 1333 calories a day. I should still be at a deficit with the amount of calories I burn working out. Gahhhhhh.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Lifting weights AND cardio, like I said. I circuit train.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great article.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    For 1 lb a week, sedentary, with your stats, MFP says 1490 calories a day, so you are pretty right on. You could also eat more because of your exercise calories. My best guess is portion size and if not that, a hormone issue or something else to check with your doc about.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Go back to weighing your food. Even if you think you're being pretty accurate, more than likely, you're eating more than you think.
    Make sure you add in spices and condiments too! Those all have calories that quickly add up.

Also, eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. You're not eating away your deficit. MFP already calculates your deficit for you. Follow it the way it was designed.

I'm 5'2 as well and started at 211 lbs. Doing the above has all worked for me, without fail.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    For those eating at TDEE -20%, do you eat that amount of calories even on the days that you are not exercising? For example, I am starting TDEE -20% tomorrow 10/16. Scooby states I should be eating 1571 cal per day. On my non-workout days should I eat at 1200 calories?

Yes. But make sure your TDEE calculation is as accurate as possible. If you're sedentary, like me, you should use that calculation. Don't base your TDEE on what you think you will do, but on what you actually do, and adjust it AFTER you change your activity level. You should recalculate your TDEE fairly often, as you lose weight your TDEE will change.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

No, eat as close to 1571 as you can EVERYDAY, regardless of exercise. What I have found that works is to eat within 50-100 calorie of that, either way, EVERYDAY. Consistancy really pays off.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Where one person can have a snack day and eat fries, I can not, the scale tells on me when I do that, I can gain a pound doing that and I know darn well that the fries I ate did not weight a pound before consumption!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut?hl=why+you+gain+weight