Hypothyroidism and Whey Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for advice.

Cutting out gluten is difficult but I can try. But cutting out wheat is quite difficult as most of my meals are roti, chapathi (wheat bread). Here in India, we literally live on wheat, that is more of a staple food in our meals. However, I avoid rice and try to take only brown rice. Also I try to eat broken wheat porridge which I was told is healthy, but now I even doubt that :sad: .

Any other suggestions are welcomed :)
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take advice about medications from a doctor or a pharmacist and not a forum....:huh: why do you think certain stuff needs to be prescribed????

Because I have a degree in being an internet doctor from the college of medicine @ the university of google, your opinion is beneath me!

:laugh:

I have had hypothyroidism for 12 years, I take 150ug thyroxine a day, do not use protein shakes as I feel my diet is Ok for protein and I have lost about 36lb since last summer, at around a pound a week (if we don't include Christmas!).
    My advice to OP is to not over-think this, just exercise more, weigh your food to make sure your portion sizes are correct and be patient, weight loss is definitely slower with an underactive thyroid but it can be done!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    take measurements... I've seen people with hyperthyroid issues that don't lose on the scale, but they'll lose inches off their body.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Yes, soy, di and trivalent minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc.) and fiber all interact with T3 and T4 absorption. It's not a huge interaction; all you have to do admin your thyroxine in a fasted state upon waking a minimal of 30 minutes before eating.

Your dose may increase in 12.5-25mcg increments initially every 6 weeks based on TSH until you reach a Euthyroid state of 0.4-4mIU/L...the dose increases will likely have nothing to do with drug-food interactions as long as you space them. The dose increases will take a while before you reach a steady dose usually around 100-125mcg for most due to the long half life of T4 of 7days.

Take home message: just space your protein away from your T4 dose!
  • tracysmuts
    Options
    I have suffered with hypothyroidism for over 20 years. I have been to many doctors and have found that the best treatment keeps my TSH at a 1 or lower. A TSH of 3 would have me very tired and overweight. To say that a "3" is normal means nothing. It matters what is normal for you. Also have your free T3 tested. You might be very low in T3 and need a supplement for that as well.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have hyperthyroidism (Graves), so I'm on a thyroid suppressor. Your doctor needs to be checking your T3 and T4, as those are better indicators of how you should be feeling (and losing weight). I agree with others that TSH of 3 is a little high and that the 1-2 range is where most people are happiest, but if your T3 and T4 are out of whack, it doesn't matter what your TSH is... you're going to feel like crap and not be able to lose weight.