218 lbs at 25 years old

Options
Ahhhhhh!!! Such an abomination! lol

I have always been a big girl. I weighed over 100 lbs as a first grader. Sad, sad story really. Grew up with parents who are super country and did nothing but fry everything or stuff us with carbs because that was all they could afford to feed the family.

For those who have struggled with weight or who have EVER been big in their life, what was YOUR story behind the "extra baggage"? How did you change your way of thinking?

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I was 214 this past February when I started actively trying to get healthier. I actually was fairly slim until postgraduate schooling and starting my first "desk" job. I think the last time I was at a "healthy" weight was probably more than a decade ago.

I packed on the pounds for lots of reasons. I worked a desk job instead of an outside job, so I was much less physically active during the day, I got lazy and didn't exercise (always a huge part of my life before being fat), I had two kids, I ate crappy food and way too much of it, I ate every single emotion, I binged, and I just basically stopped caring about being healthy.

I have gained and lost so many times, but this year, I finally just decided I was done with being fat and was going to lose 50 pounds this year. I've already accomplished that goal and set a new one of 65 pounds lost by the end of the year. I want to be healthy and active and am not going to be lazy, and I'm going to set a good example for my kids - both by being active and by eating well. They don't know I'm "dieting", but they know that Mommy goes running and Mommy goes to the gym and Mommy says "let's all take a walk" and "no, we are going to have a healthy snack" and that Mommy doesn't really eat junk food.

I think what finally clicked for me was that I didn't like the way that I felt and I wanted to feel better. Feeling better meant eating well and exercising (which helps me both physically and mentally). I am so much happier with myself now and feeling so much better in my own skin. I can't wait to see where the rest of this road takes me.
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was 214 this past February when I started actively trying to get healthier. I actually was fairly slim until postgraduate schooling and starting my first "desk" job. I think the last time I was at a "healthy" weight was probably more than a decade ago.

I packed on the pounds for lots of reasons. I worked a desk job instead of an outside job, so I was much less physically active during the day, I got lazy and didn't exercise (always a huge part of my life before being fat), I had two kids, I ate crappy food and way too much of it, I ate every single emotion, I binged, and I just basically stopped caring about being healthy.

I have gained and lost so many times, but this year, I finally just decided I was done with being fat and was going to lose 50 pounds this year. I've already accomplished that goal and set a new one of 65 pounds lost by the end of the year. I want to be healthy and active and am not going to be lazy, and I'm going to set a good example for my kids - both by being active and by eating well. They don't know I'm "dieting", but they know that Mommy goes running and Mommy goes to the gym and Mommy says "let's all take a walk" and "no, we are going to have a healthy snack" and that Mommy doesn't really eat junk food.

I think what finally clicked for me was that I didn't like the way that I felt and I wanted to feel better. Feeling better meant eating well and exercising (which helps me both physically and mentally). I am so much happier with myself now and feeling so much better in my own skin. I can't wait to see where the rest of this road takes me.

That is so amazing! I enjoyed reading your story and hearing all of the positiveness that comes from it. You are awesome and I'm glad that this journey is a life-changer for you, not just a do it now and revert back to unhealthy ways of living. Thanks for responding to my post!
  • mrstashafowler
    mrstashafowler Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was 140lbs at 11 years old, and it just escalated from there. I had my third child last November putting me at 210lbs, which wasn't even my biggest. I was 233 after child number 1. I literally would bake a tray of 24 cookies, and slam them all with a giant glass of milk, then move onto something else. I had no limits, and no self respect.

On December 26 2012, I decided at a Christmas party, that if I could just keep a diet going for a year and lose like 1 lb a week then next year at the family get to together I'd be 52lbs less... I lost 56lbs by September. so 9 month into it. Now I'm focusing on losing about 15 more. I've lost 78lbs since my highest at 233 lbs. I just recently started exercising more vigorously and running, and I love it!

Seeing the change so quickly keeps me motivated. really trying to run a 5k soon, so thats been my main goal. hopefully more weightloss comes with that. :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic at 21 years old and 383lbs. That was my rock bottom and I knew something had to change. Lost about 100lbs on my own, and then carefully considered & had the lap band, which has given me a whole new lease on life. Now, I'm training for a 1/2 marathon (and have a goal finish time).

Always been a big girl too - just was always hungry growing up. No amount of activity would compensate for how much I was eating and how hungry I was all the time. The lap band has been the tool I needed to keep me staying full and progressive weight loss has allowed me to continue to lose weight through portion control and pretty vigorous exercise.

Thanks for posting this - it makes me feel not so alone! Good luck to you and congrats on changing your lifestyle!
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I was 140lbs at 11 years old, and it just escalated from there. I had my third child last November putting me at 210lbs, which wasn't even my biggest. I was 233 after child number 1. I literally would bake a tray of 24 cookies, and slam them all with a giant glass of milk, then move onto something else. I had no limits, and no self respect.

On December 26 2012, I decided at a Christmas party, that if I could just keep a diet going for a year and lose like 1 lb a week then next year at the family get to together I'd be 52lbs less... I lost 56lbs by September. so 9 month into it. Now I'm focusing on losing about 15 more. I've lost 78lbs since my highest at 233 lbs. I just recently started exercising more vigorously and running, and I love it!

Seeing the change so quickly keeps me motivated. really trying to run a 5k soon, so thats been my main goal. hopefully more weightloss comes with that. :)

Amazing story! I've noticed that with many people, they just randomly, one day, made the conscious decision to change. I know for others, it has been because of drastic reasons unfortunately but I'm glad to hear you made the change before it could have become drastic. I applaud you for your continued success!
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic at 21 years old and 383lbs. That was my rock bottom and I knew something had to change. Lost about 100lbs on my own, and then carefully considered & had the lap band, which has given me a whole new lease on life. Now, I'm training for a 1/2 marathon (and have a goal finish time).

Always been a big girl too - just was always hungry growing up. No amount of activity would compensate for how much I was eating and how hungry I was all the time. The lap band has been the tool I needed to keep me staying full and progressive weight loss has allowed me to continue to lose weight through portion control and pretty vigorous exercise.

Thanks for posting this - it makes me feel not so alone! Good luck to you and congrats on changing your lifestyle!

I should give a HUGE congrats to you for going from pre-diabetic to running half marathons. That is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! I could NEVER see myself running a half marathon so kuddos to YOU completely! :) Thanks for sharing your story and I wish you nothing but the best and continued success! Let me know if you reach your goal finish time! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I was always overweight because I was allowed to pretty much eat what I wanted when I wanted - candy, croissants, pastries, cheese (I'm French), pudding, ice cream... Every time we'd go somewhere, I had a treat. It took me years to get over that habit. The only reason I was only a little overweight and not obese is because I walked a lot (walked to school, and came home for lunch) and I wasn't fond of my mom's cooking so I didn't eat that much during meals. Once I lived on my own for a while I was eating junk but not that much of it, and walked up to 2 hours a day so it balanced out, more or less. But once I moved to the US and stopped walking, I gained 55 lbs in 10 years (which all things considered is not that bad, considering how much I was eating!).

I did a diet when I was 20 and lost 20 lbs but gained it all back and more in 6 months.
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I was always overweight because I was allowed to pretty much eat what I wanted when I wanted - candy, croissants, pastries, cheese (I'm French), pudding, ice cream... Every time we'd go somewhere, I had a treat. It took me years to get over that habit. The only reason I was only a little overweight and not obese is because I walked a lot (walked to school, and came home for lunch) and I wasn't fond of my mom's cooking so I didn't eat that much during meals. Once I lived on my own for a while I was eating junk but not that much of it, and walked up to 2 hours a day so it balanced out, more or less. But once I moved to the US and stopped walking, I gained 55 lbs in 10 years (which all things considered is not that bad, considering how much I was eating!).

I did a diet when I was 20 and lost 20 lbs but gained it all back and more in 6 months.

What diet was that? What are you doing now to help yourself lose and/or become healthier? What are some notable differences between France and the US that you can think of? Very interesting story!
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We are on the same weight boat my friend :)

24 years old (will be 25 in November) current weight is 218lbs. When I started about a month ago I was 223lbs, that highest I've ever been.

I gained the weight b/c I never exercised, lived off of candy (have the cavities and root canals to prove it) and never ate vegetables. My parents never made me eat anything that I didn't want too.

Last year I lost 20 lbs, weighing 197 lbs. I remember being so happy when I was under 200 lbs, given that is still heavy overall, for me it was a huge accomplishment! And I did it all on my own, no buying into crazy diets, just working out. It took a while, like 5 or 6 months, but I did it.

I congratulated myself by eating whatever I wanted and stopped working out. And here we are a year later, back at the same weight, 223lbs (well now 218lbs). I really wanna see that scale under 200 lbs again, and this time, keep it that way. I know I can do it simple because I have done it before.

My current workout consists of running, the pavement is my gym. I run 30-45mins 3-4 times a week. Determined as hell to get to my version of skinny (under 200lbs). And then once I get there, I will see how I feel and decided if I want to keep losing or maintain. Ideally I would like to weigh 180. Still want some meat on my bones now :) LOL.

Best of luck,
    Joanna
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Hello :flowerforyou:

I weighed the most I ever have in my life last year. I'm 5'4.5" and was 260lbs.
    Background:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shadow2soul/view/background-pics-511744
    Decision to Change:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shadow2soul/view/what-made-me-realize-things-needed-to-change-pics-511762

As of this morning, I'm down to 166.4lbs. I have 2 progress threads.
    Results after 87 days of using MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011152-87-days-of-using-mfp-p-lots-of-pics?hl=87+days
    Results after 191 days of using MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1100730-191-days-of-mfp-47-8lbs-lost-35-2lbs-to-go?hl=191+days#posts-16987716
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    Hello :flowerforyou:

I weighed the most I ever have in my life last year. I'm 5'4.5" and was 260lbs.
    Background:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shadow2soul/view/background-pics-511744
    Decision to Change:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shadow2soul/view/what-made-me-realize-things-needed-to-change-pics-511762

As of this morning, I'm down to 166.4lbs. I have 2 progress threads.
    Results after 87 days of using MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011152-87-days-of-using-mfp-p-lots-of-pics?hl=87+days
    Results after 191 days of using MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1100730-191-days-of-mfp-47-8lbs-lost-35-2lbs-to-go?hl=191+days#posts-16987716

You are SO amazing!!!! This is VERY inspiring and aim to get to your level of dedication and commitment! That is astounding!
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    We are on the same weight boat my friend :)

24 years old (will be 25 in November) current weight is 218lbs. When I started about a month ago I was 223lbs, that highest I've ever been.

I gained the weight b/c I never exercised, lived off of candy (have the cavities and root canals to prove it) and never ate vegetables. My parents never made me eat anything that I didn't want too.

Last year I lost 20 lbs, weighing 197 lbs. I remember being so happy when I was under 200 lbs, given that is still heavy overall, for me it was a huge accomplishment! And I did it all on my own, no buying into crazy diets, just working out. It took a while, like 5 or 6 months, but I did it.

I congratulated myself by eating whatever I wanted and stopped working out. And here we are a year later, back at the same weight, 223lbs (well now 218lbs). I really wanna see that scale under 200 lbs again, and this time, keep it that way. I know I can do it simple because I have done it before.

My current workout consists of running, the pavement is my gym. I run 30-45mins 3-4 times a week. Determined as hell to get to my version of skinny (under 200lbs). And then once I get there, I will see how I feel and decided if I want to keep losing or maintain. Ideally I would like to weigh 180. Still want some meat on my bones now :) LOL.

Best of luck,
    Joanna

We can CERTAINLY do this together! You are awesome for wanting to make the change and keep it going! Sucks that we're currently in the same boat but I have faith that we can get out of it! :)
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was 220 lbs when I gave birth to my first son, after birth and with breastfeeding I got down to 180 lbs and just stuck around there until he was 18 months when I was finally motivated to do something about my weight. I got down to 147 lbs and felt fantastic, then I became pregnant again. I weighed 190 lbs when I delivered him and again my weight seemed to stick around 180-185 lbs. He's 20 months old and here I am again, hoping to say goodbye to this weight for good (or until the next baby at least :wink: )

Progress after baby #1
    Before (Excuse the halloween costume)
    25zi2s8.jpg

After
    16llkde.jpg
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was 221 pounds in January. Also 25 years old. As of my last weigh-in (last Friday), I'm 182, so almost 40 pounds lost this year! I've also been big my whole life, not sure what I weighed in elementary school since I avoided scales, but the lowest I remember being is 180 in my sophomore year. I was raised by my dad who worked a lot, so I lived off of TV dinners (now I cringe at the sodium) and wasn't very active growing up. I argued my way out of having to run in P.E. and now I regret that immensely. Hoping to lose another 40 pounds and see myself smaller than I've ever been at this height! We can do it together!
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I was 220 lbs when I gave birth to my first son, after birth and with breastfeeding I got down to 180 lbs and just stuck around there until he was 18 months when I was finally motivated to do something about my weight. I got down to 147 lbs and felt fantastic, then I became pregnant again. I weighed 190 lbs when I delivered him and again my weight seemed to stick around 180-185 lbs. He's 20 months old and here I am again, hoping to say goodbye to this weight for good (or until the next baby at least :wink: )

Progress after baby #1
    Before (Excuse the halloween costume)
    25zi2s8.jpg

After
    16llkde.jpg

You look AMAZING!!!!!! And your son is SUUUUPER CUTE!!!! I am so happy for your accomplishment of losing the weight you wanted to lose! Totally inspiring! :) Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I was 221 pounds in January. Also 25 years old. As of my last weigh-in (last Friday), I'm 182, so almost 40 pounds lost this year! I've also been big my whole life, not sure what I weighed in elementary school since I avoided scales, but the lowest I remember being is 180 in my sophomore year. I was raised by my dad who worked a lot, so I lived off of TV dinners (now I cringe at the sodium) and wasn't very active growing up. I argued my way out of having to run in P.E. and now I regret that immensely. Hoping to lose another 40 pounds and see myself smaller than I've ever been at this height! We can do it together!

This gives me HOPE that I, too, can get to under 200 lbs. Thanks for the inspiration and kuddos to YOU for breaking away from what you grew up with and making a conscious decision to change for the better. Not a lot of people can do that. Many thanks to you for sharing this with me. It certainly helps!
  • jojeh2011
    jojeh2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a story to share, but for now, I'm just gonna bump since I'm at work and get back to you lovely ladies later... :)

some inspiring stories thus far, i must say!
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's what I wrote up in June. I'm now at 84 lb lost; turning 30 in December.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Here’s the Story.

Starting point June 3rd 2012: 219 pounds, size 16 pants, 1x tops, but not comfortable.

I started losing weight about 4 years ago when I started exercising with my dogs – walking and doing dog sports. I don’t know how much weight I lost because I was afraid of the scale. It was enough that people were starting to notice, and I dropped down to a size 14.
    Unfortunately, I lacked much of any knowledge about nutrition and I rationalized a lot of bad choices.
    “This is ok, I have to work late.”
    “I deserve this treat.”
    “It’s a birthday/holiday/event, so it’s ok.”
    “I’m stressed so I will eat this to make me feel better.”

We had a biggest loser style contest at work in 2011 and I watched a lot of co-workers lose weight and put it right back on. A lot of them were using a website called myfitnesspal.com but for some reason I did not want to count calories, no way. That just “wasn’t me”.

In June of 2011, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, a condition that made it painful to walk. The physical therapist told me weight loss would help, but I brushed it off.

Meanwhile, I was slowly putting on weight and getting more unhappy and unhealthy. I had a lot of back and neck pain that was hard to deal with some days.
    In April of 2012 I learned that the iron levels in my blood were low (for the second time) and I would have to get treatments (again) to put iron directly in my blood. One of the nurses who did the treatments told me she had lost 90 pounds using MFP and it got me thinking about what my goals might be.

My husband and I took our dogs with us on vacation to a bed & breakfast in Colorado at the end of May, 2012. The food was amazing, but, I said to him that I was going to start my “diet” when we got back from vacation. When I make a decision, I stick with it. I rarely quit anything and when I do, it makes me unhappy and dissatisfied.

Sunday June 3rd, I created a profile on MFP and logged my food for the day. I used the default settings (sedentary) the website gave me and off I went. My goal was to lose 89 pounds.

The first week was really difficult. I had no idea what I had been eating or how much. But I decided that I wanted to give it a chance, so I kept logging. The only number I watched was calories. I logged my dog walking and ate back my exercise calories. It wasn’t long before I started to see weight loss. Sometimes I logged on the weekends, sometimes not.

As I started seeing the number on the scale go down, it fueled my desired to stick with the program. I made small changes.
    -Cooking better food.
    -Eating more veggies and less carbs.
    -Looking at the back of packages at the grocery store before they went in my cart.
    -Trying new foods because they were lower in calories.
    -Using the crock pot more often to make hearty, low-cal meals
    -Donated the high-calorie packaged foods from our pantry and didn’t replace them.
    Although I don’t know if it truly helps or not, I started some supplements: One a day women’s vitamin, Metamucil fiber and Garden of Life Raw green super food capsules.

I figured out that it was more fun to eat a lot of a good food rather than a little bit of a junk food.
    As I lost more pounds, MFP adjusted my calorie goal and kept following the recommended amounts.
    When I had lost about 30 pounds, the calorie count MFP gave me was just too low. I was hungry and unhappy. I discovered a group on MFP that used a method called “In Place of a Road Map”. The group leader showed how to calculate your body fat and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is the amount you need to maintain your current weight. He recommended eating at 20% below TDEE.

I switched to the customized settings, which gave me more calories each day, and I stopped logging exercise and eating back the exercise calories. I was happier and the loss continued. The new method recommended setting goals for Macros (protein, fat & carbs). I set the numbers but still just paid attention to calories primarily.

I noticed a lot of hair falling out and that really worried me. Apparently it is common with weight loss, but according to the internet, increasing protein and good fats (avocado, fish oil, etc) could help. I started trying to hit my protein goals and bought a Hair, skin & nails vitamin. I stopped taking the fiber supplement because as I was making better choices, my diet had plenty of fiber.

After 25-30 pounds, a few co-workers started noticing. I had a hard time seeing it, but I did notice my clothes were starting to fall off.
    I had some unexpected surprises.
    -My feet were in-between sizes and I couldn’t find any dress shoes that fit.
    -My bra band size dropped but not a cup size so I had to buy bras at a specialty store.
    -My back pain had decreased dramatically.
    -It was easier to run while doing my dog sports.

Here at 151ish pounds, I am a size 8-10 in pants, tops are medium. I dropped from a size 9 sneaker to an 8.5. My bra size went from 38DD to 34DD. According to the military body fat % calculator on Fat2Fit, I've gone from 48.6% BF to 32.9% BF.

A lot of people are noticing and commenting. Sometimes the comments aren’t very well thought-out, but I try to take them all politely. People gasp when I say I’m still losing. I was even told I had been “brainwashed”, lol.

I’m trying to hit my daily protein goal in addition to my calorie goal. Protein tends to make me feel fuller and frankly, I love meat, nuts and edamame. It doesn’t happen every day, though.

There are simple things I do each day to ensure a “good” day.
    -The night before, I try to log what I know I’m going to eat the next day. Having a plan leads to success.
    -I pack my lunch each day for work. Eating out responsibly can be done, but sometimes removing temptation is the best choice.
    -If there is food setting out at work, I just don’t walk by it.
    -If I am offered food, I say no thanks, or “maybe later” just to be polite.

Not too long after I started, I realized it wasn’t a diet. I was changing the way I looked at food. It was no longer a tempting indulgence that had control of my life. I was in charge of what went in my mouth and I logged all of it, good and bad.
    A lifestyle change does not have to be a massive overhaul, little steps, increasing knowledge and trying new things has made the journey easy. Everyone looks for a “quick fix” and there simply isn’t a better method than eating less than your body burns. Yes, it’s been slow but, it’s been about more than just losing weight.
    I feel like a better version of myself. I feel empowered and that making good choices is easier. Also, my Labradoodle and I are excelling in our dog sports, which was a big reward for me.

Some tips and observations:
    -No one controls what you put in your mouth but you. You are the boss.
    -It took about 40 pounds to drop from 16 to 14 pants. Then only 10-12 pounds for 14 to 12. Don’t be discouraged if your size doesn’t change linearly.
    -The first few weeks, (and even sometimes after that) I was obsessed with food. Even more so than when I was eating out of control. Do not worry, it will pass. You learn how to make good choices and they get easier.
    -When eating out at non-chain restaurants, you might not find an exact match in the MFP database. Better to add something close than nothing at all.
    -You don’t have to eat the same things as your family. I often will cook something slightly different for myself, or I will only have one serving. This is a little more work, but isn’t it worth it?
    -There was a change in my grocery cart. I spent more time in the produce section, and less in the prepackaged aisles.
    -I started measuring food. A digital scale is an easy way to make sure you’re not “cheating”. Pasta was a big one for me that I had to measure to get the correct portion. That being said, I usually eat 1.5 servings, so long as it fits in my goals.
    -Drinking a lot of water is not optional. This is one that I would say is invariable from person to person. Water helps with so many body functions I could fill a whole page. I drink at least 8 16oz glasses a day – but I worked up to this number. When I don’t get enough, my body feels it. Water keeps you fuller, longer and aids in proper digestion. My co-workers tease me that I have a “drinking problem” and then I ask “how much weight have you lost?” 
    -So often you hear about the “Battle of the Bulge”. Losing weight is not a battle. You and your body should live in harmony and if you are willing to truly stop and listen, it will tell you the truth, every time. Being full is not the same as being stuffed. 95% of the time, I am plenty satisfied within my calorie goals and I just stop eating when I reach them.
    -I have had stalls. Weeks at a time when the number on the scale didn’t move or even seemed to go up. These things come to an end. Be patient and persist.
    -As a rule, I don’t condone eating in the car, but if you’re out and about, it would be better to have a small snack on hand then to get an ice cream cone at McDonald’s. I keep almonds and 100 calorie packs of animal crackers in my car.
    - Even though it might seem boring, I eat the same breakfast every morning and the same two lunches every week day.
    Breakfast: Thomas light English muffin, 1 egg, 1oz cooked turkey sausage, cup of coffee with fat free half and half and C&H light.
    Lunch: Sara lee multigrain roll with Oscar Meyer deli select turkey & mustard. 8oz carrots with 2oz hummus. 1 strawberry Jell-O. Every other week I sub edamame for the carrots & hummus.
    -Do I have “cheat” days? Sure. At least a couple days a month I don’t count or worry. One meal here and there won’t de-rail a month of quality meals and correct portions.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. If it was hard, I wouldn’t be doing it.
  • k80lynn87
    Options
    Wow!!! I have loved reading everybody's stories!! I am new on this journey, but this thread has been so motivating to read!