Hypothyroid People -- Help!

Options
Okay, so I've suspected for a long time now that I suffer from hypothyroidism. My mother has it, and I display a lot of the traits of it (hair falls out, only poop twice a week at most, fight fatigue many days, horizontal ridges in my nails, etc.). But, first and foremost, I can't seem to lose any more weight no matter what I do =/. I've lost ~110 lbs., but my major weight loss just kind of slammed to a stop a couple of years ago. Everything I've done since then has only netted me ~25 lbs. of weight loss, and that was doing Lyle McD's RFL diet, which is brutal.

I don't have health insurance, so I'm kind of at a loss for trying to get it fixed. I found an online site that lets you order your own lab tests, and so I ordered a thyroid panel with TSH, free T4, T3, and free T3. The results came back, and it appears I'm in the "normal range" across the board on all of them, albeit in the lower range.

I'm not sure what to do with that info. If I go to one of the clinics and ask a doctor to treat me for this, is one even going to be willing to put me on meds with these values? I can't afford to spend money on doctor's visits just to be told that I don't have a problem, and I know a lot of you women have had similar thyroid problems, so perhaps you can help me understand what the base line for this sort of thing is.

Here is a link to the exact values, for anybody who might want to see them: http://imgur.com/jqXdBCx

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give :).

Replies

• maracuya23
    Options
    I would say your very best bet is to find a good doctor willing to investigate this with you, since those symptoms are not awesome and can be caused by a lot of things- hypothyroidism (though your levels do indeed look pretty normal), and various nutritional deficiencies to mention just two.

You could try looking more closely at your nutrition and make sure you're getting plenty of iron, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D, etc. and protein (if you're following Lyle McDonald, he has plenty of good info on macro balance when losing weight). Even with a good quality multivitamin (if you don't already take one), you might feel better. Try tracking everything you eat for a few weeks, pay close attention to the nutrition side, and see where you are in a few weeks.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It depends on what "normal range" is being used for your online test. There is a new, tighter normal range that most endocrinologists go by but many general dr's don't.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the exact values, for anybody who might want to see them: http://imgur.com/jqXdBCx

Your thyroid panel is normal. You can repeat it again next month to confirm.

Describe your exercise routine in detail (frequency, duration, intensity, and type).

Do you have PCOS?
  • struggling_1980
    Options
    about 14 years ago i was where you are. i went to my dr who ran a blood test and he just said it came back "within the normal range" he politely patted me on the head and told me to watch what i ate a little better and exercise more and then showed me to the door with a patronizing smile that completely robbed me of any nerve to push the issue any farther. a few years later, all the while still suffering the same symptoms and falling into depression, i went to my obgyn. and during our discussion about my inability to conceive, he suggested a thyroid issue and i was re tested. at the followup appt to go over the results, i was in fact now below the normal limit AND in the interim, my ob had requested the labs from my general dr. turns out that what the phd had deemed "wnl" was at the absolute bottom of the range! my ob put me on meds right away and said that clinically i should had been started on the meds based on the results of the previous test combined with my symptoms years earlier. now here is my two cents worth for you. the meds did help but were by no means a quick fix. truthfully, after being on thyroid hormones for many years now i still am struggling with my weight. most of the other symptoms were resolved within the first year but the fatigue was still an issue. the number one thing that has helped was to start eating 1-2 brazil nuts each and every day. they provide ample selenium which your thyroid desperately needs. also i switched from sea salt (which i thought was healthier) to iodized salt because it does not have iodine, another necessity for the thyroid. and one last little gem is sunflower seeds, abt half cup in the hull per day. p.s...the brazil nuts are SUPER budget friendly. you can get them already hulled in the produce dept from wal-**rt for only $5 per bag and it should last 2-3 months, just store the excess in the freezer because the oils can go rancid after a while.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've suspected for a long time now that I suffer from hypothyroidism. My mother has it, and I display a lot of the traits of it (hair falls out, only poop twice a week at most, fight fatigue many days, horizontal ridges in my nails, etc.). But, first and foremost, I can't seem to lose any more weight no matter what I do =/. I've lost ~110 lbs., but my major weight loss just kind of slammed to a stop a couple of years ago. Everything I've done since then has only netted me ~25 lbs. of weight loss, and that was doing Lyle McD's RFL diet, which is brutal.

I don't have health insurance, so I'm kind of at a loss for trying to get it fixed. I found an online site that lets you order your own lab tests, and so I ordered a thyroid panel with TSH, free T4, T3, and free T3. The results came back, and it appears I'm in the "normal range" across the board on all of them, albeit in the lower range.

I'm not sure what to do with that info. If I go to one of the clinics and ask a doctor to treat me for this, is one even going to be willing to put me on meds with these values? I can't afford to spend money on doctor's visits just to be told that I don't have a problem, and I know a lot of you women have had similar thyroid problems, so perhaps you can help me understand what the base line for this sort of thing is.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give :).

I just looked at your diary going back as far as September 28, it is now October 19, and what is really sad is that you have not logged any food at all. As someone who do not have a thyroid, take Synthroid daily (275 mcg) , this idea of not being able to lose weight is bull. You may have to exercise harder than the next person, watch what you eat, may even need medication, but it can be done.

I have lost 24 pounds since February (could probably have lost more), but I am grateful that my body have rid itself of 24 pounds of fat. I exercise at least 4-5 days per week for 75 minutes doing weights (upper and lower body), kettle bell swings, jumping jacks, jogging on the spot (for 60 -90 seconds intervals). This gets my heart rate up and for the first time I am now in the 160s instead of being stuck in the 170s. I started off at 192.4.

My advice is to get yourself check out by a doctor, for peace of mind and start exercising. Stay away from tofu and soy products, especially for those with thyroid problems. Due to not being able to lose weight easily, I stay away from a lot of soda, processed foods, high salt foods and junk food. I do not have insurance, my medication cost $205 every 90 days, this is something I have to live with for the rest of my life.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Your numbers are very normal - not even borderline. I don't think you have a thyroid issue. There are other things that can cause those symptoms. Start taking vitamin D supplements and see if that helps.