Relationship status help/hurt your motivation

Options
Does your relationship status help or hurt your current desire to be thinner, healthier, stronger?

Replies

• nikkiclaire123
    Options
    my relationship status has nothing to do with my weight loss goals.

my desire to lose weight and get fit. for me.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My struggle/want to lose weight has to do with my desire to want to do so for me. My boyfriend is nothing but amazingly supportive on my quest to lose the weight that I want/need to. He'd love me if I weight 100 lbs or 600 lbs. You need to make a life change for YOU, not anyone else.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Only my relationship with myself has anything to do with it... TBH.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend at the gym and he continues to push me further. I love it that I have a built in workout partner and motivator. I am not doing it for him but his encouragement fuels my desire to accomplish my goals. I have been in relationships where they couldn't understand my passion for fitness and all they wanted to do was eat junk and tell me I didn't need to lose weight. They were right I didn't need to lose weight but I wanted to get ripped.
  • tsw420
    tsw420 Posts: 5
    Options
    My relationship status totally hurts my motivation. My husband loves me as-is, and hasn't jumped on the lifestyle change train yet. We show love with food and treats, and it's hard to be the only one in the relationship seeking to change! But, at the end of the day, my health is up to me and me alone!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I had already hit my goal and in a good routine but since splitting with my ex I have added more and more miles to the marathon training so it kind of helped I suppose but any future girlfriend will need to know that running/fitness is part of me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My struggle/want to lose weight has to do with my desire to want to do so for me. My boyfriend is nothing but amazingly supportive on my quest to lose the weight that I want/need to. He'd love me if I weight 100 lbs or 600 lbs. You need to make a life change for YOU, not anyone else.

QFT
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Being single helped me. It's been easy and fun getting into shape without a bad attitude cancer doubting me every step of the way.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It does and it doesn't ... The main reason I am trying to get fit is for myself... I am single right now and the relationships in my past motivate me to get fit and feel good about myself so I wont be so likely to let people run over me and abuse me in relationships due to lack of self esteem and self confidence. :glasses: That s my thought for the day :happy:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    it helps. He motivates me, loves trying new recipes, loves helping with our garden, encourages me to do one more mile on the bikes, etc. If he wasn't so amazingly helpful and encouraging it would be much harder. When he's weak and wants a burger I distract him, when I'm lazy and want to just order chinese he offers to cook a better version at home. win win.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My previous relationship status was a bit complex in its effects on my motivation. We were both foodies, so it was very motivational to find and make delicious healthy food together. But he had no interest in exercise, and he was concerned I would lose too much weight and not have the curves he loved so much, so I basically quit exercising during the second half of our relationship. When we split up several weeks ago, I got a bit down and fell off the wagon of healthy eating, but I'm being good again now, and am starting to feel motivated to exercise again, not because of any other reason than the fact that I feel good when I do it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Irrelevant for me.
  • NetmanNH
    Options
    Im single and i dont think that plays a part in my desire to lose weight other than maybe being healthy makes you feel better / more active which in turn allows you to get out and meet more people. But this is a side effect and not a reason.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My relationship helps me because my husband always motivates me to be the best version of myself. We met in the military so he knows that I can workout and keep weight down if I want to do so. We motivate each other and work together on our shopping choices and talking about fitness routines. He also is aware I gained all this weight from having our son so he seen how I sacrificed my body to grow our family. My husband is not controlling and never asked me to loose weight. He supports me in my decision and even works out with me.

Although, I have a wonderful man, this journey is for me because he cannot do any of the work for me. However, after growing up as a fat kid and seeing how people have treated me, it is very nice having someone so supportive and so caring to be there for me. Being overweight with no support sucks and I am just happy I have that now.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    When my relationship status changed so did my weight!! I gained about 40 pounds since meeting my husband. He is really great about all this. He has loved me through thick and thin....literally!!! Sometimes it's hard because he always offers me goodies because he doesn't want to leave me out. We have always enjoyed eating together so it's hard to get him in my mindset. I also have the power to say no. He supports me with whatever I do and knows I am doing this for me and no one else.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

Being with a generally unmotivated person made me unmotivated. My ex was an extremely unmotivated person who lacked any long-term and short-term goals (unless you count waking up and playing PS3 until 3AM everyday as a goal :huh:) so as much as I wanted to be in better shape then, it was difficult being the only one attempting to do anything.

My current SO has however greatly helped my progress. He's the only SO I've ever had who is in good physical shape (which makes sense since he's ex-military) so it made me want to be in better shape too. He is great at pushing me to go to my fitness classes even on the days I don't want to, and was more than willing to change his diet to a healthier one not only for me, but for himself. It's become something we do together, for the most part.

All that being said, if it wasn't for my own personal kick in the butt, I don't think being with my current SO would have significantly mattered - you gotta do it for yourself before anyone else. The fact that he was willing to make this lifestyle change with me is what has helped my motivation and progress the most, but I had to be the one to want to make the change (which sure as hell took a while!) before it could happen.
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend lifts heavy objects as a hobby. He's very supportive of me getting in shape.
    He also joined this site to help me out, which is super cute.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Being single helped me. It's been easy and fun getting into shape without a bad attitude cancer doubting me every step of the way.

Thiss
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It was easier to lose single, because my schedule was mine and I could plan for pitfalls. Now there is a live-in BF in the mix, things are a tad bit more tricky, but I'm handling it, once I got my mind in gear.