Hormone replacement therapy and water weight gain

Options
QuietBloom
QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
Hello all! 2 weeks ago, I started a hormone replacement therapy program that includes estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, all under my doctor's care. The estrogen and progesterone are a cream, and the testosterone is an injection (100mg every 6 weeks). Although I feel incredible, I quickly 'gained' back my hard won 5 lb loss. I realize it is water weight, but I still don't like it. :grumble: My body fat % has remained essentially the same (18 to 18.5) but I feel puffy. :frown:

Does anyone have experience with this? Will this settle over time? Should I decrease my sodium intake? How low is safe? I have recently made an effort to increase my potassium to 4,700 per day because I was feeling weak and dizzy and discovered I was not getting nearly the recommended daily amount.

Thanks in advance for any input! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Oh hormones, how you torment us. I would get back to your doctor on this and discuss your options. Hormone replacement is an art.

There is a synthetic progesterone called drospirenone that is a mild diuretic. It's in the BC pill, Yasmin, and also in some replacement hormones. It might counteract some of that testosterone though because of the way that it works.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    bump
  • aldroe
    aldroe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience with progesterone cream the past 2 months. I am up 7 lbs in about 40 days and I am not going to take it. I would also talk to the dr, maybe it will settle down? I am so irritated and I know it's not real lbs...now wondering when will it come off!!!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I had problems like this back in April thru August. No matter what I did I wasn't loosing anything. Thru my doctor's guidance I have stopped taking everything. I've always had issues with fluid retention. Right now the only real problem I'm having (I had hysterectormy 16 years ago, I"m 52 now) is my normally very low BP is a bit high. Not for most it isn't but for me it is. I normally run 107-110 on the top and 65-72 on the bottom. I've seen both a little lower. But, when mine gets to 120-80 or a little higher my head in the back feels a lot of pressure. I'm on a low mg blood pressure pill that also helps with the fluid. I also restrist my sodium intake. My other issue I have and continue to have is anziety. Some days it is really bad. The hot flashes I don't have too much problems with. I'm a very cold natured person, so being warmer isn't much of a problem to me :). I agree with some of the others comments, talk to your doctor there might be other options or dosages. Good luck!
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know this post was a while ago but wondering how you made out with HRT. I just started a few days ago and gained 4lbs. I have been a saint on my eating plan so it's frustrating. Did it settle after a while?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Hi there! Yes, it settled, but my weight never went back down. I am still up in weight, but low in body fat, so I decided to just go with it. :smile: