Did you flip when you discovered...?

Options
page68
page68 Posts: 220 Member
For the first time ever, I truly internalized the calories in a marshmallow today. Yeah - the little white pillow that makes a s'more a s'more and hot cocoa the delightful treat that it is. 25 calories per marshmallow!!! 25!!!!

Here's where the flip comes in - I used to eat handfuls of those things. Never really knowing (or truth be told, caring) that they add up quick when you're poppin' 'em in your mouth mindlessly. I know I used to think that they were innocuous because they are fat free, however, since joining MFP, I've counted every calorie that enters my mouth. I've held myself strictly accountable and for that I've been rewarded with weight loss.

I never want to fall into a marshmallow trap again and believe with MFP my chances are looking good.

Thanks all!

Replies

• Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Oh yes. I had the a ha moment with a McDonald's chicken nugget. Those little suckers are almost 50 calories each - and mostly fat! I used to love 'em, but now I won't touch even one. 50 calories are just to precious to waste on one of those ...
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I understand what you mean. There are so many of those little foods that I used to just 'snack' on and not realize how many calories they added up to. I am so mindful of everything I eat now, even the things I know I shouldn't I know what I am eating and plan accordingly. So many think that if is fat free you can eat all you want but that isn't true. We have to pay attention to everything on that nutrition label.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Mine was the fat in Skyline Chili:noway: Holy cow, that is enough fat for an entire week. :sick:
  • sophieg77
    Options
    Even descovering how much Calories were in the foods that I thought were really healthy. Like Avocado! I knew it had 'good fat' in it, but dismissed it completely as 'healthy' and used to have one or two for afternoon tea. Little did I know It had a meals worth of Calories in it! MFP has certainly taught me to throw away some of premisconceptions.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I know. :O I used to pop those when we would have them in the house. haha. Now I found those bags of chocolate covered mini jet puff marshmellows. Bout 24 of those things is 120 calories and the whole bag is around 350. So good. :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Even descovering how much Calories were in the foods that I thought were really healthy. Like Avocado! I knew it had 'good fat' in it, but dismissed it completely as 'healthy' and used to have one or two for afternoon tea. Little did I know It had a meals worth of Calories in it! MFP has certainly taught me to throw away some of premisconceptions.

Avocados ARE healthy--you just can't eat a large quantity of them, but that doesn't make them unhealthy.
  • sophieg77
    Options
    Yes I realise that :)

I just didn't realise they had so many Calories and I was eating 2 a day! I now maintain a healthy avocado intake. hahaha.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that you think it's a bad thing because I was happy when I discovered marshmallows were ONLY 25 cals a piece lol. I always eat my nightly treat (whatever I want that's under 200 cals) really slowly, so nibbling on 4 marshmallows was a perfect amount. I suppose it's scary if you ate them in huge quantities though.

I don't eat marshmallows anymore since I went vegan. If anyone knows where I can get vegan marshmallows without paying an arm and a leg for them online, I'd be much obliged!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that you think it's a bad thing because I was happy when I discovered marshmallows were ONLY 25 cals a piece lol. I always eat my nightly treat (whatever I want that's under 200 cals) really slowly, so nibbling on 4 marshmallows was a perfect amount. I suppose it's scary if you ate them in huge quantities though.

I don't eat marshmallows anymore since I went vegan. If anyone knows where I can get vegan marshmallows without paying an arm and a leg for them online, I'd be much obliged!

http://www.sweetandsara.com/

http://www.dandiescandies.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias=grocery&field-keywords=vegan+marshmallows&x=0&y=0&sprefix=vegan+mar&ih=7_3_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.107_311&fsc=8
  • Pattitude
    Pattitude Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me it was stuff like chips... going to a Mexican restaurant and going through 2 or 3 baskets of chips and salsa between friends was probably an entire DAY'S worth of calories in just the chips... not to mention the rice and the burritos and sour cream from the meal!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada we call our donut holes 'timbits' at our most popular donut chain. I was shocked when I found out each timbit was 70 calories!! Can you believe it? Any person who eats timbits will eat at least 4-5 (which hardly seems like anything) and have no idea they just consumed 350 calories! That was a scary one, hehe.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Did you know they started making super sized (Jumbo) marshmallows for campfires? I didn't see them, but my mom told me they are like, 4 times the size of a regular, big marshmallow!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    For the first time ever, I truly internalized the calories in a marshmallow today. Yeah - the little white pillow that makes a s'more a s'more and hot cocoa the delightful treat that it is. 25 calories per marshmallow!!! 25!!!!

Here's where the flip comes in - I used to eat handfuls of those things. Never really knowing (or truth be told, caring) that they add up quick when you're poppin' 'em in your mouth mindlessly. I know I used to think that they were innocuous because they are fat free, however, since joining MFP, I've counted every calorie that enters my mouth. I've held myself strictly accountable and for that I've been rewarded with weight loss.

I never want to fall into a marshmallow trap again and believe with MFP my chances are looking good.

Thanks all!

Bit of a shock isn't it :frown:

I used to adore cream cheese but at over 800 calories per cup, I don't even look at the stuff now, no wonder I was like a fat pig before!
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    My Whole Foods carries them!! They are simply divine!! I think La Dolce Vegan has a recipe for them. It is pretty time intensive, but I bet home made ones are even better :smile:

Oh, and I don't eat marshmallows for the same reason!
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The worse for me was Onion Rings...they have so many calories. 10 onion rings had my entire daily allotment of calories. Ugh it was ridiculous. Why does everything that tastes sooo good have to be sooo bad for you?
  • nic3595
    nic3595 Posts: 7
    Options
    I used to adore cream cheese but at over 800 calories per cup, I don't even look at the stuff now, no wonder I was like a fat pig before!
    [/quote]

I get light and fit cream cheese (Neufchatel Cheese), tastes really goood, use 1 oz. and your at 70 calories!!!! I love being able to keep some of the things I love in my diet.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I get light and fit cream cheese (Neufchatel Cheese), tastes really goood, use 1 oz. and your at 70 calories!!!! I love being able to keep some of the things I love in my diet.
    [/quote]

Wow thanks for that! I shall look out for it on my next grocery shopping trip! if it were just 70 calories, I can handle that! :flowerforyou: