Getting Nervous

Options
I have seen so many awesome before/after photos on here of women who have lifted weights during their journey. I am very motivated by all of this. I know high school was a million years ago, but I used to lift 5 days a week at the school gym, took weight lifting classes rather than a regular PE class. There is a lot that has changed I am sure, but I used to really love lifting weights. It was almost like an addiction. Then I went to college and just stopped lifting. Stopped finding the time for any sort of fitness.

Since seeing the photos of all the gorgeous ladies on here, I want to join those ranks. I have been pumping myself up all weekend saying "I'm going to do this! I am going to start lifting at the gym" Now I am halfway through my work day and the reality of that is setting in. I am not scared that I am going to get bulky, I am not scared that I am going to hurt myself, I really can't figure out what it is that is making me so nervous. REALLY nervous, as in I have this overwhelming urge to just run as far away from the gym as I can get!

I need help overcoming this fear that is gripping me right now! I know I am being ridiculous, and logically it makes 0 sense to be nervous about this, but my emotions are getting in the way of what I want and need to do in order to achieve my goals.

edited to add: The only lifting experience I have had latley is in power pump classes which doesn't use heavy lifting, but more light/medium/heavy weights then you are given a time frame (30 sec, 60 sec) to get in as many reps as you can. SO, not your typical lifting, but using weights and doing dead lifts, squats, etc.

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I don't go to a gym--my gym is in the garage. I bought various barbells and and watched some Youtube videos on form, etc and now I'm doing it too! You can totally do this. You have the motivation! And once you get started you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :flowerforyou:
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do you have a plan of what you're going to do at the gym today? If you make a plan in advance -- whether it's one you create on your own, or a structured plan from a book or program -- that might quell some of the "what do I do now?" nerves.

I also often tell myself that when I feel afraid of something that I rationally know is unlikely to hurt me, it's a sign that I REALLY need to do it. Today might be tough, but your next session will be much easier... emotionally, at least!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I do have a plan. I found this article that I have read through a few times. There is a lifting routine at the bottom I plan to follow.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html