Why does a high heart rate mean?

Options
2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My hr during my 2 hr ride yesterday was avg 141 and max was at 175...i was really pushing it though! My max is usually in the 160's but i can quickly recover to a lower hr, depending on how fit I am.

thats typically how i am with a really hard workout... although i'm practially falling all over myself to get over 170

so basically this guy was averaging what i basically peak at during an insanity workout.... for 6 hours. I new i wasn't superman, but i didn't know i was that far behind the curve lol

I don't think it means anything like that. It's probably artificially high due to his medication and the caffeine. He is a crazy endurance person and always has been.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Geez, I hope it doesn't mean anything. I do 1.5 hours of cycling and I average between 160-170 for that 1.5 hours. Max out at 181-183 usually.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    My hr during my 2 hr ride yesterday was avg 141 and max was at 175...i was really pushing it though! My max is usually in the 160's but i can quickly recover to a lower hr, depending on how fit I am.

thats typically how i am with a really hard workout... although i'm practially falling all over myself to get over 170

so basically this guy was averaging what i basically peak at during an insanity workout.... for 6 hours. I new i wasn't superman, but i didn't know i was that far behind the curve lol

i must have missed the medication part. it did seem on par with other races i believe you had posted. was he on the meds then? i'd def want to ask an MD that had some kinda sports background if that was safe, which i guess you are. i'm sure its all good

I don't think it means anything like that. It's probably artificially high due to his medication and the caffeine. He is a crazy endurance person and always has been.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Everyone's HR is different - so it's hard to compare one person to the next.

I had to adjust my HRM to accurately reflect me - the default settings, even when you adjust for your age/weight - will vary person to person. I have a higher rest rate than most and have perfectly fine BP. While running I'm usually between 170-180 and I'm fine. I notice when I get over 180 that I'm overexerting myself. And I'm 38 if that matters.

So it really is different for everyone. I would suggest checking the default settings and ensure it's set correctly for him.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    169? Try 210 for a 38yo. 169 is my average I like to stay at, that's when I'm running. As long as the person does not have problems with their heart or whatever I guess it would be ok no matter what the rate was.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    During my runs mine averages 167 for as many as 2.5hrs. That's where I try to keep it (lower would be nice). It jumps up to 188 when I push it to the finish. But within two minutes it is back in the 140s while walking 3.6mph.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to say to "old dude" comment, he is 41 not 81 lol.

I am 52, my heartrate has reached 172 for a solid hour's run,. and no, I do not consider that bad.