ok who was rude in this situation?

Options
amg_89
amg_89 Posts: 184
ok, so I've had a dinner date with a friend of mine planned for a few weeks. just dinner at her house to hang out. At least that was my impression. well, today my dad asked me to go somewhere with him this evening. i haven't seen him in two weeks and wanted to spend some time with him so i sent my friend a text around one pm (dinner was at 6) and said "Hey I have to go to (insert location here) with my dad tonight, so i won't be able to make it to dinner. i'm really sorry for the late notice." Well, she replies to me around 430 and just says "wow. ok." and then proceeds to post on her facebook status "wasted an entire day of vacation today for the dinner party that didn't happen. Time to start plaining for tomorrow. Hopefully the guests will show! I hate working on something and it being wasted."

Seriously? Any time we have gotten together it's been a simple meal that doesn't take a whole lot of effort. And she never told me that it was a "dinner party". What the hell?! By the way, the "vacation" she is talking about is summer vacation. she's a teacher, so she has the whole summer off. she didn't take a vacation day to make me dinner.

GRRR PEOPLE.

Was it really that terrible of me to cancel? I mean, I apologized, but sorry I'd rather spend time with my dad. sheesh.

Replies

• JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Although I am a member on Facebook. I dont believe in venting or talking about personal things on there. That is like really rude to the other people involved. If she had a problem with you not coming she should have called you herself and said she was upset. Also I am not a huge fan of the text. I think maybe if possible you should have called her personally to apologize so it seemed like more of an effort.

Hope you can work it out.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't trip....she's dramatic...water under the bridge and move on...I can't stand people like that
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Only thing I would say is that it should have been done via phone call rather than text. But for her to FB it knowing you would see it is very rude.
  • aliciamille
    Options
    no way! you shouldnt feel bad...she's supposed to be an adult and clearly she's acting like a little kid....
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Don't trip....she's dramatic...water under the bridge and move on...I can't stand people like that

This.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    I have a friend that does stuff like that. If it was a dinner PARTY shouldn't it have been more than just you? Does that mean everyone else canceled too? Don't feel bad at all. It isn't like you just blew her off for no reason. You hung out with your dad.
  • amg_89
    Options
    I suppose a call would have been the right and more polite thing to do.

i'm tempted to comment on her status and just be like "wow your dinner guest must be a real *****" buuut i'm just gonna let this one roll....she'll be over it next week.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Would it made a difference if she mentioned it was a dinner party?....as you said wanted to spend time with your father...plus if there are other guest attending what difference does it make minus one...and this too shall pass...either she will get over it or not...

B
  • amg_89
    Options
    had I known it was a formal get together and she actually slaved all day in the kitchen and the guest of honor was me, then of course i would have gone! But the fact of the matter is, I was simply joining her and her family for dinner--a dinner they would have made whether i was there or not.

WHATEVAAA!
  • amg_89
    Options
    AHHH! and you know how people "like" things? she just "liked" "Never make someone a priority when they only make you an option"....this woman is in her 30's with 2 kids and she's acting like her boyfriend just blew her off for the prom.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I am a father of three daughters that I love to go out with, but if my daughter already had plans, I would have understood and made a date for later.

Your friends FB crap aside, a person should keep their dates/plans/dinners unless something unavoidable comes along. If your Dad was in town from far away and only for one day, that would be different.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your friend is just being extremely overly dramatic about the whole situation and going to facebook to be passive aggressive about it. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it or take what she does on there seriously. If it bothered as much as she would like people on facebook to know, she would have said something to you about it. Alternatively, you could take the high road and just casually mention you wanted to apologize again for standing her up but state your reasons why.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Obviously it was rude of her to comment about it on FB, but it was rude of you to blow her off at the last minute to hang out with someone else, dad or not, especially since it had been planned weeks in advance.

Unless your Dad was coming in from out of town on short notice, you should have told your dad you already had plans and scheduled something with him another night.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    egg her house. That would make me feel better about the situation. Then update your FB status "Wow, wasted all those eggs tonite."
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    egg her house. That would make me feel better about the situation. Then update your FB status "Wow, wasted all those eggs tonite."
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: