Check out time?

Does anyone have a " check out time" on when they stop eating, meaning is there a cut off time of the day when you stop eating? I know some follow by the "no eating after 6 or 7 pm rule." Has it worked for any of you or does it make a difference or not?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I'll eat up until I go to sleep, so no, I don't have a checkout time.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 468 Member
    Not me, if it fits in my macros, i am eating. Doesn't seem to affect my loss.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    no. Although, I wouldn't eat a big meal after about 8.30pm because I'd just be uncomfortable sleeping. But if I'm hungry and have calories left, I would eat something light right up till bed time.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    I try not to eat past 7, only because it messes with my sleep, if I eat right before bed time, I can't sleep! but if i'm extremely hungry, i'll drink milk or eat toast, something lite..

I've heard it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, as long as you stay in your calorie quota, you should be fine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Does anyone have a " check out time" on when they stop eating, meaning is there a cut off time of the day when you stop eating? I know some follow by the "no eating after 6 or 7 pm rule." Has it worked for any of you or does it make a difference or not?

I'm usually done by 6pm. It's not because I don't like to eat late or because I think there's something wrong with eating late, it's because I do a 16:8 and my 8hr eating window opens at 10AM after my morning workout.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    no cut off for me.

I've tried to stop eating a couple hours before bed and it just left me going to bed hungry. I have a harder time falling asleep if I'm hungry and am more likely to wake up in the middle of the night for a snack. So for me dinner or a snack before bed is almost a must. It hasn't had any impact on my weight loss.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Yeah, when MFP tells me I don't have any more calories available for the day. :bigsmile:
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    My mom doesn't eat about 2 hours before bed to give her stomach time to "digest" she says it helps so she doesn't have a stomach ache in the night.

I eat all hours because of a hectic schedule and it has not bothered my fitness goals. The only thing I "withhold" prior to bed is water because I hate waking up in the middle of the night to pee lol
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Nope. The only limitation I try to have is no simple sugars close to bed time, but that isn't because of calories/weight loss.

If I eat ice cream and then try to sleep, I don't sleep well. If I don't sleep well, I'm too tired the next day to exercise. If I'm not exercising, I have more free time to eat ice cream. And the cycle continues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    meal timing is irrelevant. You burn XXXX calories in roughly a 24 hour period...it really doesn't matter when you get those calories...you're still going to burn through them in a 24 hour period.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Nope! We get home and eat dinner at about 11:45pm every night due to work :)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    I sleep better if I don't eat just before I go to bed, but that is a personal preference :-)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Nope, I eat my last snack around 10:30-11:00 most nights, within half an hour of finishing my workout. And then I go to bed.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    I stop eating after I brush my teeth. Up until that point the kitchen is open
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    No official time up to this point, but I'm starting (a weak attempt) to stop eating anything major within 2 hours of bedtime mainly because:
    1) I feel "lumpy" in the morning
    2) My stomach is noisy for an hour or two after eating and it's that much louder/annoying when trying to sleep

P.S. It's growling as I type this cuz I just ate a big *kitten* popsicle.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    It has nothing to do with weight loss; however, having high amounts of blood glucose while sleeping increases risk for Alzheimer's Disease and other forms of senile dementia as you age. This is because of the large amount of Oxidative damage that occurs when blood glucose is in your body (regardless of eating time) and the amount of blood that gets to the brain when you are in REM sleep. The oxidative damage through blood glucose has been shown in many instances such as the centenarians being from okinawa and living on nearly 1200 calories a day (calorie restricted diet). Their bodies are used to that amount of food, therefore they get less oxidative damage, which means slowed down shortening of telomeres - the closest known fundamental indicator of aging. My credentials only involve a year long gerontology hands/on course working with people who have dementia, writing research papers about the neurological feedback effects of aging, and studying the psychological, biological, and social aspects of aging.