Wow . . . yoga! Anyone else feel this . . .?

Options
I've been trying a yoga workout video lately, and I made myself the goal to do yoga every day this week. So today I'm getting a little better at the poses and the pacing so I'm focusing more on the breathing, and when I was done I could feel the air in my chest. I swear parts of my lungs that haven't been inflated in ten years got air! Also, when I was done, I had this sort of wierd calm spacey sort of feeling, but I wasn't tired at all, just calm. Which is not normal for me, I tend to be an intense kind of person.

Now I'm not into that whole 'zen' thing that seems to be attached to yoga, like the spiritual stuff, so I didn't really expect to feel this way. I'm kind of a skeptic actually. I'm really doing yoga just for the workout benefits. So, has anyone else noticed similar feelings after beginning yoga? I'd really appreciate some feedback, thanks!

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've been trying a yoga workout video lately, and I made myself the goal to do yoga every day this week. So today I'm getting a little better at the poses and the pacing so I'm focusing more on the breathing, and when I was done I could feel the air in my chest. I swear parts of my lungs that haven't been inflated in ten years got air! Also, when I was done, I had this sort of wierd calm spacey sort of feeling, but I wasn't tired at all, just calm. Which is not normal for me, I tend to be an intense kind of person.

Now I'm not into that whole 'zen' thing that seems to be attached to yoga, like the spiritual stuff, so I didn't really expect to feel this way. I'm kind of a skeptic actually. I'm really doing yoga just for the workout benefits. So, has anyone else noticed similar feelings after beginning yoga? I'd really appreciate some feedback, thanks!
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Join gym. Any exercise done by less than 3 ppl is not going to motivate you in the long run. I have never done yoga but seems real good fitness activity. Keep it up.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I feel a little different when I do yoga too; however, I'm not sure if the feelings of transcendent calmness are psychological or purely yoga. I want to feel calm and fall into that zone and I'm still trying to decide if it's yoga that makes me feel so serene or my brain tricking itself into the zone.

But!

When I'm in corpse pose (savasana) I get this tingly feeling and I get tons of goose bumps....it makes me feel complete if that makes sense.
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yoga is the best exercise---mind body and spirit exercise.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I have done yoga for over 9 years and I do it for many resons...the physical part of it ~ the "zen" part of it (hence my addy)....LOL. and a few other reasons.....I think Yoga is what you want it to be.....

zen:wink:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yoga always works on my (tightly wound) body like a mini-massage. If you're usually tense, and you relax and stretch out, it's going to feel amazing. Also, breathing is under-rated! Oxygen can make you feel relaxed and calm.

:flowerforyou:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I think I know what you mean - I'm so... calm after yoga.

I was also doing yoga with a dvd for a while but recently I joined yoga classes.
    My advice for you is to go a few time (one is also good) and exercise with an instructor. It's difficult to tell by yourself you do the poses exactly as they should be and it's important in yoga, believe me.

Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I agree with edyta, you should go to a few classes to get the poses right. A good instructor will enhance your practice dramatically.

A lot of the calmness you feel is a result of focus. It is difficult to do a hard pose and think about what you are having for dinner. It is similar to meditation. If you are a tightly wound person, meditation is necessary. Balance poses will also help you focus and calm the mind. There isn't any magic to it, really.

After I started, I noticed: I slept better, I was calmer, and little aches and pains went away. It took a couple years, but I also noticed my almost daily headaches became monthly headaches.

Enjoy your practice.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah makes sense, and in psychology (i'm a psychology major at a school that uses the scientist-practitioner model so we have a lot of cognitive-behavioral stuff being taught here) we have a lot of relaxation techniques centered on breathing to help people cope with anxiety disorders, things like agoraphobia and generalized anxiety disorder. I'm thinking maybe they work on the same principle, the focusing and the deep slow breathing.

Well anyway it works and I like it, glad to know I'm not the only one who feels it! Thanks again everyone!