I have an appetite the size of Russia...

Options
Since I have an appetite the size of Russia I take appetite suppressants...

Right now I am taking OxyElite Pro which work great for me! LET ME ALSO NOTE: I eat 1300+ calories a day (I'm 25, 137 lbs, 5'3") -- just so we're clear that I'm not taking these supplements as a way to starve myself without "feeling" hunger pains. However, it does help me not "binge" eat or stuff my face with chocolate on stressful days -- simply because it restricts my appetite.

I guess I'm curious about Healthe Trim -- has anyone else taken this and did it work for you? I hear alot about it on the radio, so my curiousity is peeked. Also, if you DID take it, did you take the one with green coffee bean in it or the raspberry keytones one?

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Appetite suppressants seem like a really bad idea to me. I think changing the composition of one's diet (fewer carbs, more fats and proteins) would have the same effect without any dependency or side effects. You can't take pills to lose weight and keep it off. You're going to have to put on your Big Girl Pants and do your due diligence. The sooner people accept that the results are worth a little deprivation, the sooner they can make a lasting change. There is no magic bullet.

Just eat 20% fewer calories than you expend, every day, until you achieve your goal weight. Then eat the same number of calories that you expend. It doesn't have to be complicated.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    :noway: just :noway:

How is popping appetite suppressants going to help you achieve the healthier lifestyle you're after? What are you going to do, take them forever? Or just put all the weight back on once you stop taking them because you couldn't be bothered to do it the proper, healthy way and teach yourself to make better choices. :huh:
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I wasn't asking for your opinions on whether or not I "should" be taking them. I was asking people who DO take them about which ones they took and whether or not they worked for them.

Thanks for the info though... just not what I was asking for.

Until you go through all the health struggles I went through a couple years ago, you don't get to judge my methods or the methods I was medically advised to use.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Borscht is healthy and filling... :tongue:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    sorry, i haven't heard of health trim (not a fan of appetite surpressents either - sorry)

if you have a big appetite though, i'd suggest eating as 'clean' as possible. bit hypocritical as i don't eat particularly clean myself (i don't have a big appetite) but you would get a lot more to eat if you were cutting out pre-packaged stuff and things with a lot of sneaky sugar and fat packed in. if you're getting all your macros from natural sources, your calories will go much further.

hope this helps.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used raspberry ketones chewables from gnc for the first week or so when I was changing my lifestyle. Helped with the hunger. I didn't want to take them to long because I wanted my body to adjust naturally to my new eating habits. I think that asking your doctor what the best supplements are is probably your best option. Not many people here are going to be able to answer your question without putting in our opinions. But I will say this, when I first started on here, I asked a few questions, and some of the responses I got were not what I wanted to hear but in the end those are the answers that helped me the most :) Good luck and if you find a good one, please share! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wasn't asking for your opinions on whether or not I "should" be taking them. I was asking people who DO take them about which ones they took and whether or not they worked for them.

Until you go through all the health struggles I went through a couple years ago, you don't get to judge my methods or the methods I was medically advised to use.

You have to understand that you are posting on a fitness forum and many of us are against any type of medications/pills. Understanding that everyone has a different approach, the only way to get past and improve yourself is teaching yourself how to eat to prevent it. High fat/high protein diets (essentially lower carb) is the best way to suppress appetite, which is what 90% of the people on this board will suggested based on similar threads. I hope you don't take it as offensive or judgmental but more, that many people are trying to help provide tips so you dont have to use an appetite suppressant as a crutch.

Also, depending how active you are, you might be able to up your calories. I know a lot of women eating 1700-2100 calories, especially when they exercise regularly. If you want feedback, you can also open your diary.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Borscht is healthy and filling... :tongue:

do you have a recipe i can pinch? the one time i tried to make this it was was not that good :/
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Nice and assertive :smile:

I came on this thread because although I wouldn't take them myself, I am curious about how they work, how effective they are, and what motivates people to take them.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    sorry, i haven't heard of health trim (not a fan of appetite surpressents either - sorry)

if you have a big appetite though, i'd suggest eating as 'clean' as possible. bit hypocritical as i don't eat particularly clean myself (i don't have a big appetite) but you would get a lot more to eat if you were cutting out pre-packaged stuff and things with a lot of sneaky sugar and fat packed in. if you're getting all your macros from natural sources, your calories will go much further.

hope this helps.

Actually there is no evidence to support the eating clean thing:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

People on a low calorie diet lose just as much weight if 50% of their calories are pure glucose compared to a much more normal diet, so there's no need to feel guilty about not eating "clean" :smile:

Generally though, protein helps regulate blood sugar levels, and slow release carbs e.g. brown rice can be helpful too. I have quite an appetite and have had issues controlling my blood sugar (non-diabetic) since I was a baby, so I feel your pain.

Edit:
    Thinking about it though, the doctor gave me some advice when I was a teenager about eating a diabetic friendly diet as he thought it might be helpful for me keeping my blood sugar levels up. Maybe look into diabetic diets so you know a bit more about blood sugar regulation and appetite? It might help in addition to your medication.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options

This. It's very annoying when people get on their high horse just because they've got things figured out for themselves.

Personally, as long as they're used under doctor supervision and not abused, I don't see anything wrong with using appetite suppressants. I do think however asking your doctor would be the best option, because they could accurately evaluate the best one for you and which one would be easiest on your body for you to wean off of once it's time.

Best wishes and good luck.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Right now I am taking OxyElite Pro which work great for me! LET ME ALSO NOTE: I eat 1300+ calories a day (I'm 25, 137 lbs, 5'3") -- just so we're clear that I'm not taking these supplements as a way to starve myself without "feeling" hunger pains. However, it does help me not "binge" eat or stuff my face with chocolate on stressful days -- simply because it restricts my appetite.

I guess I'm curious about Healthe Trim -- has anyone else taken this and did it work for you? I hear alot about it on the radio, so my curiousity is peeked. Also, if you DID take it, did you take the one with green coffee bean in it or the raspberry keytones one?

I have a big appetite myself, I manage it by eating a lot of salads instead of rice. basically a low carb high fat high protein diet. When I get the urge to eat, I exercise and it tends to curb it. Fruits also keep me full especially watermelons and cantaloupes. Hope it helps.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Right now I am taking OxyElite Pro which work great for me!
    Well, there is this:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/health/oxyelite-pro-liver-damage/

Might be wise to discontinue until the investigation is complete.
  • Pipparuns
    Pipparuns Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that my equally large-size appetite will inevitably return with a vengeance once the pills stop working in about 2 months. I've taken everything from DexaTrim to Phentermine, and yes, they work great until...they don't. Phentermine just stops working at all -- almost like it has a timer built in! -- and then I'm eating everything but the tile floor. I've found the best way to stop a ravenous appetite is to cut out sugar and white carbs and get busy moving my *kitten*. It's sucks for a couple of days but after that it gets easier. Sugar and sugar subs just make me hungrier for more sugar. Good luck and I hope you are being careful with whatever you are taking.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If they worked there would be no obesity problem.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Appetite suppressants seem like a really bad idea to me. I think changing the composition of one's diet (fewer carbs, more fats and proteins) would have the same effect without any dependency or side effects. You can't take pills to lose weight and keep it off. You're going to have to put on your Big Girl Pants and do your due diligence. The sooner people accept that the results are worth a little deprivation, the sooner they can make a lasting change. There is no magic bullet.

Just eat 20% fewer calories than you expend, every day, until you achieve your goal weight. Then eat the same number of calories that you expend. It doesn't have to be complicated.

That's cute and all... but also spoken like someone who has no idea what it's like to be hungry ALL THE TIME... I have the same problem as her. I eat 1400 calories a day, I'm 5'2, and 138, so also, not out of control obese, and not starving myself.

I have enough problems sleeping with the three chronic health conditions I have, that I don't need to- CAN'T- go to bed hungry. Yet, all the hormonal tests I've had so far are supposedly normal. Also, I have taken to eating large amounts of fiber and protein for dinner in an effort to "stay full longer." Nothing I've tried works with any regularity. Drink more water? Just pee more, and am STILL hungry. I totally feel for you OP... I wish I had the answers.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

This. It's very annoying when people get on their high horse just because they've got things figured out for themselves.

Personally, as long as they're used under doctor supervision and not abused, I don't see anything wrong with using appetite suppressants. I do think however asking your doctor would be the best option, because they could accurately evaluate the best one for you and which one would be easiest on your body for you to wean off of once it's time.

Best wishes and good luck.
    YAY!
  • Pipparuns
    Pipparuns Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    But I will say this, when I first started on here, I asked a few questions, and some of the responses I got were not what I wanted to hear but in the end those are the answers that helped me the most :) Good luck and if you find a good one, please share! :)

Yep. I was the same way. We are looking for easy until we finally figure out that what works is hard work and a little deprivation. If we want to lose weight we have to say no A LOT. After a while our bodies and our brains will fall in line with the plan we give it. Kind of cool if you think about it. We reprogram our systems to work a certain way whether or not we do it consciously.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    To those who actually responded to what I was asking, thank you! You were helpful. I appreciate your kindness, understanding, and lack of untactful attitude. :flowerforyou:
  • sunnshhiine
    Options

You have to understand that you are posting on a fitness forum and many of us are against any type of medications/pills. Understanding that everyone has a different approach, the only way to get past and improve yourself is teaching yourself how to eat to prevent it. High fat/high protein diets (essentially lower carb) is the best way to suppress appetite, which is what 90% of the people on this board will suggested based on similar threads. I hope you don't take it as offensive or judgmental but more, that many people are trying to help provide tips so you dont have to use an appetite suppressant as a crutch.

Also, depending how active you are, you might be able to up your calories. I know a lot of women eating 1700-2100 calories, especially when they exercise regularly. If you want feedback, you can also open your diary.

To be fair, I purposely did not post this question on the "fitness forum" or the nutrition forum. I posted it in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum -- because I was asking about appetite suppressant supplements...to aid in weight loss.