Low Blood Sugar But No Idea What is Causing It??

Options
So I was taking several blood tests the other day to test my levels of magnesium, vitamin D, and phosphorous. While they were measuring those levels at the lab, they also discovered I had low glucose levels (blood sugar levels). They thought this might have been caused by the blood sample sitting too long before they tested it, and so today I went in for a finger prick test. My glucose levels were higher, but still low. Keep in mind, during the 1st testing I had had a protein bar about an hour to an hour and a half before the test, and the 2nd test I had a protein bar about forty five minutes to an hour before the testing.

I've been researching and found low blood sugar can be caused by not eating enough/frequently, but I eat A LOT (nearly 3000 or more calories a day because my goal is to gain weight:smile: ) and I ate almost right before the testing. I don't think I have diabetes because I'm not moody or fatigued at all on a regular basis. The only weird symptoms I have that I can think of is I seem to be getting bruises and cuts more easily/often lately and I've been having some bone pain/aches, but not serious, just short little bursts of pain or maybe a day of soreness and then it goes away for a bit.

Does anyone know what this could be? I'm getting more bloodwork done tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm curious haha :)

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar) can cause bruising, so that symptom may be related. This Mayo Clinic website of causes has a section on Non-Diabetic Causes of hypoglycemia that you can check. But just to reassure you, some people just have mild low blood sugar & as long as it's not severe (you're not feeling fatigued, fainting, etc), then they usually just live w/it. I have it a little bit, but the only time I notice it is when I try to fast completely. when I do that, I get the shakes & usually a migraine. But I'd just wait for your blood work to come back. Thankfully most of the things that could be causing this would show up in blood work, & are treatable.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoglycemia/DS00198/DSECTION=causes

Actually there's another possibility, looking at the symptoms you list. Did they check you for anemia? Sometimes when someone is dealing w/an allergy like you were for so long, they can develop anemia. Anemia can also cause low blood sugar, bruising, & slow healing of cuts. Also the aches you've talked about. I developed severe anemia, but because it progressed gradually, I didn't realize how tired I felt. The first symptom I noticed was pain in the joints in my hands & feet, which my doc put down to arthritis. But when I mentioned it to a friend who's a doc's wife, she said their daughter had severe anemia & the only symptom she had was the rare one of pain & sometimes swelling in the joints. Sure enough, when I asked my skeptical doc to test me, I was bad enough that she was debating whether to have me admitted for a transfusion, but decided to just start me on heavy iron supplements twice/day. I started feeling better almost right away, just didn't realize how bad I was until I started feeling better. Here's a link to anemia symptoms...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321/DSECTION=symptoms

If they do put you on iron, take each tablet w/ 250mg of vitamin C to help you absorb it better & make it easier on your stomach. Feel free to friend me & let me know how it turns out.

P. S. and my friend's daughter that had the anemia was only 18 also. A lot of docs don't think to test for it in younger women. And one symptom they don't mention but I know is pretty common is that it can make you want to chew ice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So I was taking several blood tests the other day to test my levels of magnesium, vitamin D, and phosphorous. While they were measuring those levels at the lab, they also discovered I had low glucose levels (blood sugar levels).

Got any numbers ?
  • PBandJ_Panda
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help!! That sounds just like me haha :) The results for the blood testing will come back today midafternoon, so it probably will be anemia. I got a full metabolic panel done! :ohwell: Oh and my blood sugar at first was 41, second appointment was 59
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help!! That sounds just like me haha :) The results for the blood testing will come back today midafternoon, so it probably will be anemia. I got a full metabolic panel done! :ohwell: Oh and my blood sugar at first was 41, second appointment was 59

So did you figure out what you were dealing with? Hope so.