Coffee and it's health benefits (or lack thereof)

Options
2»

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Only drink it if it is paleo
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, it can save lives (quite literally), is used as treatment sometimes:
    help babies remember to breath etc (reason my niece is alive right now)
    is associated with a reduced risk of Parkinson's disease, and use of caffeine is studied as a treatment for the Parkinson’s disease motor symptoms

increases effectiveness of some drugs
    lower risk of heart failure
    linked with lesser chance of Alzheimers
    lower risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes
    caffine has something in it that is associated with attention, concentration, learning, and memory
    slightly boost metabolism in a minuscule way
    increased alertness and decreased fatigue
    may lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
    may reduce the risk of developing cancer and produce a delay in the average onset of cancer
    may be a source of healthful antioxidant activity against some free radicals inside the body
    bring people together
    relaxes me

Many of those came out of plane ol wikipedia. "The general consensus in the medical community is that moderate regular coffee drinking in healthy individuals is either essentially benign or mildly beneficial."

But there are many articles I've seen through the years in university mentioning it. All of the things I've seen have been good other then 'copious amounts can do harm'

Don't drink it if you don't want to. If you do drink it moderately, I don't see any harm and there's been lots of benefits.

It can also cause problems when taken in excessive quantities. Notice how pretty much any food in the world has those effects. If you're a healthy individual and are drinking a healthy amount, I do not see the disadvantage. If you're getting a well balanced diet and eat healthy and exercise I also don't see an extensive need for it either...other then I love it.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Give me coffee or give me death.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't have an alarm clock anymore, I have a Keurig brewer that goes off at 5:45 a.m. when it kicks on to warm the water.... First thing I do when I get up is stumble to the kitchen and fill my travel mug!! :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's great and unless you have sensitivities to it like me you can enjoy it almost guilt and calorie free.

Certain people with certain health issues might want to look into whether it's for them but most people can just enjoy it because it takes so much for it to be bad for you that you'd likely never drink too much. If you start hallucinating, stop. LOL.

Me i leveled off my intake and my migraines quit. i have now been migraine free going on three years and I had quit after leveling off and am now adding it in at a steady daily dose and i'm fine and i like what it does to my energy levels, tastebuds, and potty time. I do not like what it does to my wallet. #starbucks
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    It is a terrible devil drink! But if you are between my pot of coffee and me in the morning, it is gonna get real ugly!!!!