Your cardio/weight training results??

Options
A topic that has come up a bit on MFP! From what I have read on some posts, some say lifting weight is great for fat loss, and others say cardio. I also see that some people say you can ONLY concentrate on one thing at a time... Eg concentrate on cardio to lose the weight first....

So I am wondering, did you lose fat (not necessarily weight) from cardio, weights, or a combination of the two???

I am currently doing cardio but have decided to mix it up and do both, but am wanting to know how others are getting on with any of the 3 variations to lose fat... Thanks guys.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weights.

That being said, cardio/weights is for fitness. If you want to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. Weight training will help you preserve your LBM though.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weights.

That being said, cardio/weights is for fitness. If you want to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. Weight training will help you preserve your LBM though.
    ^Ditto.

Plenty of people do both because there are benefits to both. I do. When you do both you do have to balance your training and goals.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I do both. Plus cardio is a mix of "volume" and intervals.

If you want all-round fitness, you kinda have to do both...
  • Wooly_I_am
    Options
    Yes, only a calorie deficit will make you lose weight although cardio will burn more calories than weights will.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    From what I have read on some posts, some say lifting weight is great for fat loss, and others say cardio.

Addressing the fat burning issue specifically, the last study I saw said there is no difference in fat burning over a full 24H period between cardio, resistance and (this was interesting) not exercising at all.

Which basically means the level of fat burn is primarily governed by the size of your caloric deficit.

So if you want the largest possible safe caloric deficit, you'd want to do as much cardio as your body can possibly handle, as that will drive up your TDEE, which will drive up the safe "20%" deficit.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I had better, firmer, trimmer results with all heavy weights compared to all cardio. Even when staying the same weight. Scientifically, that's pretty sound.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do both. Actually, I do many types of exercise. I think it is important to keep your body guessing and not get stuck in a rut. Interval or circuit training, yoga, pilates, running, walking (with and without incline), lifting weights, strength training with body weight exercises--it all has a place in my workout rotation! I have lost a lot of fat and retained a lot of muscle, maybe even gained some. I know I'm stronger:)
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am doing both and am still losing weight at about 0.5-1kg a week, I would rather do both no matter what I read because it makes me feel good about myself :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    there are benefits to both, so I do both.

Strength training has had a bigger impact on my body shape though.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Well, weights definitely give one a better body for cosplay!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    From what I have read on some posts, some say lifting weight is great for fat loss, and others say cardio.

Addressing the fat burning issue specifically, the last study I saw said there is no difference in fat burning over a full 24H period between cardio, resistance and (this was interesting) not exercising at all.

Which basically means the level of fat burn is primarily governed by the size of your caloric deficit.

So if you want the largest possible safe caloric deficit, you'd want to do as much cardio as your body can possibly handle, as that will drive up your TDEE, which will drive up the safe "20%" deficit.
    You are right, it is hard to burn fat without a deficit! That being said, I'd like to add that people may not be after the largest possible safe caloric deficit, particularly if they're looking at dropping body fat. I spent my life doing cardio. Never did I have anything close to abs until I started strength training. And I started looking significantly slimmer at a heavier weight (and the measuring tape showed that). The below is all cardio vs only strength training, I'm the same weight in both:
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

I was on the treadmill hours a day every day in the first pic, I lifted weights 3 times a week in the second pic.
  • adrianc333
    Options
    Agree. It's calorie deficit that matters most. Over the last 2 days I did 30 hard walking and 3 hours of cycling. I ate 18 slices of raison bread and had a pandan topping (I had lots of fruit and veges too, but it's the bread which is the bad stuff. I love it though). I've now put on 1.2kg.

According to MyFitnessPal, I was actually ahead in terms of calorie usage versus calorie intake.

But I was eating between 2600-3000 calories a day- too much!

It's really criminal how fast I put on weight, but how slowly it comes off!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So I am wondering, did you lose fat (not necessarily weight) from cardio, weights, or a combination of the two???

I lost my weight by eating 400-1000 less than my maintenance.

I changed the way my body looked by lifting weights.

I improved my endurance by doing cardio.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cardio for cardiovascular health.

strength training for strength and body composition

Diet for weight loss.

That said I don't really cardio. I have yet to find an activity I enjoy aside from heavy lifting and I'm not into making myself do things I don't enjoy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A topic that has come up a bit on MFP! From what I have read on some posts, some say lifting weight is great for fat loss, and others say cardio. I also see that some people say you can ONLY concentrate on one thing at a time... Eg concentrate on cardio to lose the weight first....

I am currently doing cardio but have decided to mix it up and do both, but am wanting to know how others are getting on with any of the 3 variations to lose fat... Thanks guys.

I don't do cardio because cardio is boring as sin. In the gym I lift weights.

I get cardiovascular exercise by playing sports like tennis or by just being active outside hiking and skiing.

Cardio is good for your health, sure, but it won't really help you lose fat. Lifting will. Lifting is, essentially, necessary for fat loss and lean mass preservation. Cardio is not.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You are right, it is hard to burn fat without a deficit! That being said, I'd like to add that people may not be after the largest possible safe caloric deficit, particularly if they're looking at dropping body fat. I spent my life doing cardio. Never did I have anything close to abs until I started strength training. And I started looking significantly slimmer at a heavier weight (and the measuring tape showed that). The below is all cardio vs only strength training, I'm the same weight in both:
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

I was on the treadmill hours a day every day in the first pic, I lifted weights 3 times a week in the second pic.

Girl those JPGs look like they were taken from a cell phone from 1999.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Party!!! :drinker:
  • CoderGal
    Options

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

iknowright. The first one I had to increase the size and lighten the pic so you could actually see my butt...as you can tell from bright and pixelated...the second is something my android phone decided to do lol
  • EmmieCar86
    EmmieCar86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

[/quote]

Wow! That's fantastic Codergirl!
  • jonnythan
    Options

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

iknowright. The first one I had to increase the size and lighten the pic so you could actually see my butt...as you can tell from bright and pixelated...the second is something my android phone decided to do lol

You post so many pictures of your butt, this is the best you can do? You're disappointing your fans!