Beginner Runner-Needs advice!

Options
I started C25K about 6 months ago and got to week 6 and I quit doing it bc I just hated it! Well a few weeks ago I decided to give it another go since I can't seem to loose anymore weight! I got through week 2 nut it really didn't seem like much of a challenge so then I decided that I would just run for as long as I could and that turned out to be 12 min and then after a 2 min walk ran for another 13! So i decided to just do that everyday. So then 2 days later I ran for 15 and 16 min with a min walk and today I ran 19 and 23 min with a min walk in between. I don't really know if it is totally safe to be running for these long periods of time so soon. I only run 4 mph so i'm not really killing myself and I feel great after I get done. My calves are usually sore afterwards but other than that no complaints really. I want to start running everyday maybe even twice a day but didn't know if that was something that I needed to build up to or not? Also I just started using the nike + running app and wondered how accurate the calorie burn was on that. Today I ran for 51 min including warm up and cool down and it said I burned 396 and when I log it in mfp as 5mph it says almost 600 cal. Any comments and advice are welcome! Also if you want to add me on nike + my screen name is LeslieF86

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You should not run every day and definately not twice a day. Even experienced runners do not run every day without rest days. I would guess your cal burn to be closer to the 396 not the 600. I think maybe you are doing a little too much too soon, and may injure yourself, but your speed is slow enough that maybe you'll be ok. It's usually best to work up to longer runs slowly, with rest days in between.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner myself so I probably can't give much advice.
    I will say that I run every other day and I do strength training in between. I have heard it's important to rest.
    I tried the c25k app awhile ago but it wasn't really good for me. I have noticed that running is more of a mental thing than anything else. When I tell myself I can do something, I do. I push myself when I am ready and that's what works best for me.
    As far as calories, I would say the best thing to do would be to get a HRM. I jogged 38 mins today and burned 404 calories.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be running everyday! Go for every other day. What you're doing now is interval training. KEEP IT UP!! You really want to avoid shin splints or plantar fasciitis. Both SUCK!! Keep up the good work!
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Great! The goal of C25K if you had finished the program would have gotten you to running for 30 mins without break. Make sure you give yourself rest days for your joints & legs, eat nutrient rich, and find some time for recovery yoga. Set goals for each month, divided over the weeks in smaller increments- keep it manageable.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I should be the last person to tell you that you're trying to do too much too soon (I always do, and have got away with it so far). I'd keep to every other day for a couple of months, then maybe increase to two days of running and one day off. Don't run through pain - there is a difference between soreness and pain, which you should pay attention to. If your mood worsens and you feel your brain-mouth-filter is seriously defective, you're probably overtraining.
    Don't increase your running too much, and take an easy week every month or so, where you actually reduce your mileage instead of increasing it.
  • lesliegail1986
    lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I guess I'm just so excited and proud of myself that I just want to run all the time now that I actually like it! And i really would like to get these last 50 lbs off!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'll actually disagree with the majority here. Don't be scared to increase your running. I think that sometimes people are too cautious. I personally don't have set days off some weeks I may run 7 days others I may only run 3' Use some common sense listen to your body if you get any pain it's normally obvious if it's just normal twinges you get while running or something else. As for running twice a day as long as you're not being silly with the mileage there is no real problem plenty of people do it. Overall use some common sense get the body used to the stress running puts on it but don't be over cautious either.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'll actually disagree with the majority here. Don't be scared to increase your running. I think that sometimes people are too cautious. I personally don't have set days off some weeks I may run 7 days others I may only run 3' Use some common sense listen to your body if you get any pain it's normally obvious if it's just normal twinges you get while running or something else. As for running twice a day as long as you're not being silly with the mileage there is no real problem plenty of people do it. Overall use some common sense get the body used to the stress running puts on it but don't be over cautious either.
    The op has been running only a few weeks, I don't agree with running two times daily. Yes, it's ok to increase mileage but you can still do that in a safe way. And I don't know anyone that runs twice a day, even people I know who run marathons.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The op has been running only a few weeks, I don't agree with running two times daily. Yes, it's ok to increase mileage but you can still do that in a safe way. And I don't know anyone that runs twice a day, even people I know who run marathons.
    Some of my Nike+ "friends" do. Now most of them log more than 150km a month, so that ought to be factored in.
    I don't think running twice a day is a problem per se, as long as you you keep the total distance below what your usual run would have been. But, IMO, why bother going out twice in that case? (I did that once, when the dog I was running with got too hot and needed to go home - I walked her home, then did the entire run I had planned again, ending up with 1.5x the distance. I learned the next day that it hadn't been the smartest move on my part...)
  • nick9470
    Options
    It's natural to be excited, but you should resist the urge to run every day.

Run every other day. You need the rest in between. It's better to keep this for years than to burn out in a month.

Also, you may want to try the application runkeeper. It is similar to myfitnesspal, it is free, and it has some free training plans that are good for beginners.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to start a 5k or 10k training program. I use Runmeter on my iPhone, but there are tons of different apps that work well. There are also training programs on Hal Higdon's site. This way you can follow a formal program that will take care of increasing your mileage at an appropriate speed. Also, make sure that you have proper running shoes.

I wouldn't worry so much about going twice/day and I would also stick to every other day for right now, which most training programs will have you doing. Strength training is a good thing to do on non running days.

Good luck and have fun!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Keep running, good work! Just every other day to recover, rebuild muscle and above all prevent injuries.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have found your own C25K training program that works for you! As someone working my way through one (week 3 in Zombie Run 5k Training), WOO HOO to you! you are doing great. And I read your 2 runs as you running once, but with a tiny break in the middle? I don't think I would consider that more than one run... if we counted my training at the moment that way, I am doing 4 walks and 5 runs in my 40min!

I would tend to agree with the one day rest, but I totally get that you just want to do this cos you can now, I can't yet, but even I want to get out there all the time because of the improvements I can see!

Be careful and listen to your body, I think most people agree that if the pain goes away within a short time after working out it's ok (and it's an achey pain). If its stabby stop and get it looked at quick smart, and if it doesn't go away do the same. Someone will probably tell you how they pushed too hard and hurt themselves, you really don't want to have it go all wrong and end up not being able to continue with your fitness and health goals because of being over eager -- geez that makes me sound like me mother :D