A healthy relationship with food

Options
I logged back onto this account tonight and it's only just hit me how little I was eating when trying to lose weight. I'm sure this site helps many people to lose weight and in a healthy way - but for me it took a wrong turn, I got obsessed with calories and nutrition and was living off less than 1000 a day, dropping my weight to 6 stone.

I have a healthier attitude towards food now - but I still count calories. I'm on about 1,900 a day - but I still haven't gained more than half a stone in over half a year. My weight is 6 stone 8 - I haven't had my period in over a year.

Why haven't I gained more weight - I eat double the amount I was this time last year? 3 big meals and snacks a day...

Has anyone else experienced this obsession with calories since joining MFP?

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Options
    If your not gaining or losing then you have found your maintenance. Up your cals by 500 a day and you can gain 1lb a week.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that is not labeled with kcal content. I logg everything, and have discovered a cup of coffee varies, depending on what kind, and where it was bought. I learn something new every day.
  • maximumcutie
    maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Depending on how active your lifestyle is, you might need more than 1900 calories / day. You can try the different lifestyle choices in the goals area in addition to how much you'd like to weigh, and it should give you an idea of how many calories you need. And like the other person said, if that's still not working, try upping the calories some more - just make sure they're from healthy food like protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats - you want to gain muscle, not unhealthy fat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got a little too ocd with the calories, and just decided it was healthier not to log for a while. I was up to 1950 NET, and still losing, so I decided to just eat whatever I wanted for a while. Its been 3 weeks, and I'm feeling better. I haven't gained any weight, but I have not lost.

How much are you exercising? If you still don't get your period, you may need to cut back on the exercise, eat more, and see your doctor:)
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP (or the idea of calorie counting, really) gave me an unhealthy obsession and I had to stop. I still pay attention to calories, but I don't log my food and haven't in about a month and a half. My weight loss is still steady and I feel much happier and more mentally stable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I logged back onto this account tonight and it's only just hit me how little I was eating when trying to lose weight. I'm sure this site helps many people to lose weight and in a healthy way - but for me it took a wrong turn, I got obsessed with calories and nutrition and was living off less than 1000 a day, dropping my weight to 6 stone.

I have a healthier attitude towards food now - but I still count calories. I'm on about 1,900 a day - but I still haven't gained more than half a stone in over half a year. My weight is 6 stone 8 - I haven't had my period in over a year.

Why haven't I gained more weight - I eat double the amount I was this time last year? 3 big meals and snacks a day...

Has anyone else experienced this obsession with calories since joining MFP?

1900 cals isnt loads.... you havent gained much weight becasue you are not eating over maintenance
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I had an unhealthy relationship with food before mfp. I do like to be as precise as I can be when counting (weighing etc) but if I don't know the calories and I have to take my best guess, I don't stress over that either. I can see how it could be a slippery slope for folks who are at risk of an ED though. Glad to hear you are doing better.