sugars, too much at breakfast?

Options
so, everyday for breakfast I am eating a parfee that is about 330 cal. I recently noticed that it took up all but 4 of my sugar alotments for the day, which leads to problems (cause I love bananas). is this something that I should worry about, or should I simply ignore it for now, until I get calorie desires under control?

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that sugar from natural fruit shouldn't really count... you should worry more about refined added sugars.

It's a bit hard to separate sometimes and nutritional labeling doesn't do it for us.
  • whalertly
    Options
    the parfee is 3/4 cup of non-fat vanilla yogurt and 1/2 cup of special k lowest granola. it fills me an adds needed vitamins, but is so much sugar, any advice on how to change it, or if it is mostly natural?
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Whats in the parfait? By the way, I love that word. It sounds like a party in a glass.
  • whalertly
    Options
    so I can not spell apparently... "the parfee is 3/4 cup of non-fat vanilla yogurt and 1/2 cup of special k lowest granola."
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Sounds like the sugars are all added sugars, not fruit. It's tough to start out your day with so much simple sugar, as it sets you up for a lot of hunger later in the day. If the sugar is wrapped up in fruit, you get some fiber which slows the release of sugar into your bloodstream. You don't get the rollercoaster effect of high blood sugar, insulin dump, low blood sugar, hunger, eat and repeat.

Have you considered a fruit smoothie? You'll get real vitamins, phytonutrients, and fiber, and probably be a lot less hungry later. I usually have one a day with something like 2/3 cup frozen mixed berries, 2 oz 100% pomegranate juice, 1 T. flaxseed or Chia seeds (lots of fiber and other good stuff), and stevia for sweetener. Blend it up, adding water to get a smoothie-consistency. I also add either 1/2 cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt or a scoop of whey protein powder, or eat an egg with on the side to make sure I'm getting some good protein.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Here is a suggestion. Switch to plain non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt to increase the protein, add Stevia for sweetener, and maybe a dash of vanilla extract, if you have to have the vanilla flavor.

Substituting 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean High Protein Hi Fiber for the Special K, will reduce the sugar to 1/3 of what the Special K Granola has. It has 15 carbs, vs the 39 that the Special K has, and has more protein, and the Kashi has twice the potassium of the Special K. Oh, and as far as CALORIES, 1/2 cup Special K Low Fat Granola= 190 calories, whereas the Kashi has 70!!! That means you can add something else to breakfast if you wish, or you have some extra calories for your snack or lunch or......