Confused about keto

Options
I started ketosis less than a week ago. the day before, I used a tape rule to check my waistline, (I'm going to do this every two weeks until I get my desired result). I checked today, a few hours after breakfast, for fun and it says I've lost almost half an inch. I know this is impossible.. I can't lose half an inch in four days.. Does anyone have any theories? Is this normal? Shall I get my hopes up or is it too soon?

Replies

• mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You're losing your carby bulk. Water weight, all that stuff (ugh I'm tired and words are hard to find)... you'll lose a few kg very quickly and then it will slow right down

I'd say its definitely to be expected but also the minute you stop keto that would come back on.
  • Emilyloosingfifty
    Options
    I've been in ketosis for a few months and I second that it's water. I always notice if I eat off plan then I seem to bloat out again. It's nothing to loose several pounds of water in the first couple of days on a ketogenic diet. After that you should hopefully see a steady drop of fat!
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I recently did 3 weeks of keto. In the first week, I lost only 1 pound because I was eating tons of fat to ease my way into ketosis, and avoid the dreaded headaches.

In weeks 2 and 3, I dialed back the calories to a -500 deficit every day, and I lost 12 pounds. No joke. 12 pounds in two weeks.

Lots of people told me that I was just losing water weight, but after going back onto carbs for the last few weeks, I haven't gained a single pound back.

So I can say that keto really works if you can deal with the decreased energy and occasional headache.
  • mowmi
    mowmi Posts: 14
    Options
    I thought it might be water weight haha, but I had to make sure
    If it is, hopefully some of it will stay off haha, and if it isn't that'll be awesome

Thanks everyone!
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When you go full on keto for awhile you deplete all of your glycogen stores. Glycogen is made up mostly of water (hence the water weight loss). Once your into ketosis fully, your body will become a fat burning machine and you start to shred the fat if you are in a reasonable caloric deficit. If the deficit is too high, you will lose muscle...you don't want that. The gain people get when they end this diet is eating way to many carbs, causing the carb bloat that will hold more water in your system for awhile until you stabilize. This is what body builders do to make their muscles really pop before a show. Go into full glycogen depletion and then carb load as for a short time period the body will store more glycogen then normal because it has been starved for it for so long.

The diet is extremely effective, but you have to be committed to it. Most people think it is low/no carb, but that is only part of it. It is also about high fat content. The more fat you eat, the more you burn as your body learns to utilize it.

Your energy should increase, not drop. If it drops, you are either not eating enough fat, or you caloric deficit is too high. You will gain more energy the longer you continue this diet. Too much protein and not enough fat in counter productive to a keto diet. This is key. You want a ration of 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs (from veggies, not sugar!)

I've done a lot of research on this so you can friend me if you want or just send a message if you have questions. This is an open invitation to anyone.