Crackling/popping in shoulder

Options
ktno1
ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
Hi everyone,

When doing push-ups (girl-style) I sometimes get a weird crackling/popping sensation in my left shoulder. It doesn't hurt, just feels weird. It kind of reminds of me of when I used to do ballet and my hips would sometimes do it when doing leg swinging exercises. I was told it was due to ligaments/tendons popping back and forth across the joint during motion. (No idea if this is accurate!)

Is this something to worry about? Is there a risk of injury? Are there some extra warmups I can maybe do?

Basically has anybody else experienced something like this or knows anything about it?

Thanks all!

Replies

• AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I occasionally would get something like that, but never noticed it while doing push-ups. I sometimes noticed it while doing arm circles or shoulder rolls, to warm up the muscles. If it's not causing pain, I don't think there's a risk of injury, but if you're concerned about it, you could talk to a doctor about it, just to be sure there's nothing wrong in there.
  • ktno1
    Options
    I occasionally would get something like that, but never noticed it while doing push-ups. I sometimes noticed it while doing arm circles or shoulder rolls, to warm up the muscles. If it's not causing pain, I don't think there's a risk of injury, but if you're concerned about it, you could talk to a doctor about it, just to be sure there's nothing wrong in there.

It is definitely most noticeable doing arm circles. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Mention it to your doctor at your next physical. It kind of sounds like you might have loose joints. If you do, you might want to do more exercises to build up your shoulder strength (which would help stabilize your socket) and less exercises that exacerbate the wobble in the socket (like push-ups).
  • ktno1
    Options
    Mention it to your doctor at your next physical. It kind of sounds like you might have loose joints. If you do, you might want to do more exercises to build up your shoulder strength (which would help stabilize your socket) and less exercises that exacerbate the wobble in the socket (like push-ups).

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get it checked out just to be on the safe side.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I get this in my right arm only when lifting weights. It doesn't hurt though.
    Never thought it could be loose joints. Working on my deltoids--see if that helps!