Can you count calories long term?

Options

Replies

• Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    410 days and counting. Tried recently to do it on my own but felt obliged to continue logging.
    Think once you get getting it is second nature and some may say addictive...LOL

Good luck
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been logging calories since May and can't imagine not doing it now. In fact I'm looking forward to Christmas logging just to see how much I really do eat even if I am going to relax a bit over the holidays......
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories off and on for over 10 years. I find that the more you do it, the easier it gets and you will tend to eat the same amounts of certain foods each time you have them which makes it a lot more simple. Like, for example, you may always have 4 oz of chicken or a cup of vegetables etc. I think the key is knowing around how many calories you are consuming/burning to make sure you stay in check.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How long have you been counting calories?

I just started counting calories today. Do you think you can keep up logging your calories for a long time? Do you think it is easy and convenient?

I think if I eat the same foods most days it can be easy.

I just started with the MFP app which I think is really good and convenient !

Sometimes it is really difficult to know how many calories are in a meal or dish if I eat out.

I've been counting consistently for 560 days. Don't plan on stopping any time soon. Stopping, for me, means letting the wrong foods back in w/o being accountable. I need the accountability and I need to see it in black and white. If it works for you to maintain or to lose w/o counting, then more power to you. I, unfortunately, am not one who is ready to do that yet.
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hated it at first but now I don't even think about it. When I don't do it, then I find it hard. But it will come in time. I plan on counting my calories for the rest of my life. Good Luck
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For me-no, I there's no way I could count them long term because it drove me nuts doing it during the few months of when I was actively losing weight. I'm in maintenance now and I've set up different things to keep me on track without counting, and so far it's working well. Some people don't mind counting, but it's just not for me.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There is another app that tells you the calories in eating out restaurants.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    To me counting calories is like knowing the price of something.

I don't go into Bloomingdale's and pick up a dress and a purse without bothering to look at the price -- that is how I determine if it is "worth it". I don't see checking the price as something too difficult, or boring, or too tedious to have to do every time I shop.

I have a limited calorie "budget". And sure, I can overspend occasionally, but if I do it on a regular basis, there are consequences.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Only problem is about counting calories online, is that I don't have the internet in my travels, so when im eating out, I need a pen and paper handy to record everything that goes in my mouth, then log them into MFP when I get home, if not I got to memorise everything.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I've been logging well over a year, and I plan to keep this up pretty much for life. It's really not much more bother than flossing and brushing my teeth, and I plan to keep doing that, too.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been counting since January, excluding my vacations. I think I'll be counting forever. Yes, it irritates me but I know that I need to do this to maintain what I've lost.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yup. Been doing it for about 4 years now, and I plan to do it for the rest of my life. I plan to track my income and spending to stay within my monetary budget for the rest of my life, so I don't see why my calorie budget should be any different.

I tracked on paper for a couple of years before I started using MFP. There are advantages to both, but MFP is generally more convenient.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my cals daily on mfp since july 2010, it gets easier and well worth it, I dont want to ever to gain the weight back
  • ShannFranks
    Options
    I started counting at the end of September and though I'm still a newbie to the process, I've found that the extra time it's taken to log everything is cutting down. Almost in a rhythm. I can honestly say that I would not be able to wing it or I would totally slip off of the radar. My daughter has mentioned that it's almost like I'm addicted to the process, which I can see. This makes me aware, reminds me of my goals and helps me to be honest. Not that I can't be, but more so about sticking to my plan. It will become second nature and less time consuming for sure :) Happy counting and best of luck to you!
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    To me counting calories is like knowing the price of something.

I don't go into Bloomingdale's and pick up a dress and a purse without bothering to look at the price -- that is how I determine if it is "worth it". I don't see checking the price as something too difficult, or boring, or too tedious to have to do every time I shop.

I have a limited calorie "budget". And sure, I can overspend occasionally, but if I do it on a regular basis, there are consequences.

^^^Exactly this.

It's habit now. I've spent most of my life counting calories, like I have spent most of my life knowing my exact bank balance.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I typically eat lunch or dinner out 3-4 times a week. I always decide where I am going, then look up the menu on line. Almost all chain restaurants give nutrition guidelines that include calorie counts. I decide before hand what I am going to eat, and also choose an alternative, in case my first choice is not available.

Twice a week when I eat out, it's usually because I have worked for 12+ hours and am too tired to cook. I usually stop at a fast food place, but again, I have several menu choices memorized from looking them up online, so that I can make healthy choices. You would be surprised at how well you can eat out and still be healthy.

The only places that are a challenge to me are local Mexican or Chinese restaurants, so I try to avoid them. Chinese or American buffet style restaurants can be good, if you stick to the salad bar/fresh fruit/lean chicken choices, and stay away from the starchy, fried or saucy foods.

I have been counting calories on and off all of my life. It's so much easier to do now, then in the old days when you had nothing but basic calorie counting books. Counting calories is the easiest way for me to loose weight, so I expect that I will continue to do so for the rest of my life.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    going to try for a long time, but at least maintain portion control
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Nope....and thankfully, I don't have to.
    I'm eating high fat, low carb so I'm satiated and haven't had a problem with overconsumption.

I log from time to time when my weight loss stalls just to see where I'm at but so far so good. Still losing and I've got 12 more pounds to go. I'm actually thinking of getting closer to 112 vs 120 (my original goal).
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Honestly, considering the horrible statistics for weight regain, that we don't have an option. The measly 5% that have been able to lose their desired weight and keep it off are diligent about it. They keep track of what they eat and exercise on a daily basis. If you don't, you will most likely end up being one of the 95% that regain all the weight and then some. I know it's beating a dead horse, but it's a lifestyle change, not a short quick fad diet thing we're doing here. Not if we're serious. I plan to, because I sure as hell don't want to be in this boat AGAIN !!!!
This discussion has been closed.