OK, need to know the best meatless products....

Options
OK, my son has been meatless for almost 5 weeks now.
I was vegitarian a long time ago with the fish protein added.
But now that I eat meat, I am getting more in the habit of only fish, chicken and turkey.
I bought some Boca Burgers the other day and they were horrible.
They tasted like some one had froze a hamburger and left the bag unsealed and it was overly freezer burnt.
I wasted it. I added onion and garlic powder and cheese, still, gross.....

I guess I will have to make my own veggie burgers in the future.

Your take??

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OK, my son has been meatless for almost 5 weeks now.
    I was vegitarian a long time ago with the fish protein added.
    But now that I eat meat, I am getting more in the habit of only fish, chicken and turkey.
    I bought some Boca Burgers the other day and they were horrible.
    They tasted like some one had froze a hamburger and left the bag unsealed and it was overly freezer burnt.
    I wasted it. I added onion and garlic powder and cheese, still, gross.....

I guess I will have to make my own veggie burgers in the future.

Your take??
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    The Morningstar Farm burgers are good. Taste more "veggie" but good. Also, Amy's products (including burgers) are tasty. Also, try using a portabella mushroom cap as a "patty". It has a meaty texture and a good flavor.

I also like the Morningstar Farm corn dogs!!

I have been trying Amy's and Cedarlane foods lately. I like to have a quick choice for lunches sometimes. The Cedarlane Veggie and Couscous wrap is really good and the monterey jack and mushroom tamales, as well as Amy's Mexican Tamale Pie, Santa Fe Enchilada Bowl, Teriyaki Bowl and Brown Rice, Tofu and Veggies Bowl. The Amy's soups are great too!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This isn't meatless but follows on something (gosh I think it was you) you commented on before. You said you didn't like turkey bacon because it was too chewy. I have been eating butterball thin and crispy turkey bacon 3 slices 50 calories and I it is really good and I make it on my flat indoor grill/griddle and it comes out so good. Just a heads up. I bought lots of packs too b/c it was like 1.25 on sale or something like that and now I have my weekend breakfasts hooked up.
    Oh and I have three boca burgers in my freezer up for grabs if anyone wants them. (I forgot those were the ones I despised when I bought them)
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Gardenburger brand BBQ riblets are really good. I also love the Morningstar Farm Chik Patties and Nuggets, and the corn dogs are good too. And pretty much anything from Amy's is delicious.
  • margolane1932
    margolane1932 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Farms faux-chicken products are the best! The chicken nuggets, and the chicken filet for sandwiches are soooo tasty. The veggie sausage they make is tasty too, but I don't remember what the patties taste like.

Also...there's a smaller brand...can't remember the name...they sell it at Trader Joe's. It might actually be Trader Joe's brand...but all of the meatless products from them are very good. Jucier than most, with lots of flavor.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I like lightlife chicken strips. Garden Burger Ribs are the shiznit! My daughter loves morning star* corn dogs and chicken nuggets. The plain tofurky deli slices are pretty darn good on a sandwich.

Morning star has eggs in it ... FYI if that matters to him. I don't eat them, but my daughter doesn't mind eggs like I do.
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hate Boca Burgers too! I did find that I love, love, love Morningstar Black Bean Burgers.
  • elliott062907
    Options
    OK, thanx, Morning star it is.....
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I really like the Quorn brand "chicken" products..they taste like chicken, but are made from vegetable protein. The only problem I have with Morningstar Farms is that they are made from genetically engeneered soy.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    What about quorn products ? they sure taste awsome, there is egg in it through so dont eat those if you dont eat eggs,

may
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The Morning Star Black Bean burgers are awesome (there are also lots of recipes for making your own out there). Boca Chickn patties are excellent too. I especially like the spicy ones!

I hated the regular Boca burgers at first also but I found the trick is to put some Worcestershire sauce and a little garlic powder on them and then cook them on the grill. They come out with a good flavor and not as mushy as cooking them in the oven. Try it sometime!
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you are avoiding butter, try Earth Balance spread. None of the bad stuff of either butter or margerine.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I tried the Morningstar Farm Buffalo Wings and they were really tasty! I was actually surprised at how good they were. I like spicey, so it hit the spot with me. :drinker:
  • elliott062907
    Options
    thank you, I think I will go online for some coupons/......