C25K how do I run it?

Options
tr66
tr66 Posts: 23 Member
Hello MFPals!
I am trying to do the Couch to 5K training regime, and I am now entering my 3rd week for the 3rd time. :ohwell:

Anyone who has already taken this training regime knows that the first 2 weeks are relatively easy; (running for 1 minute and then walking for 1-2 minutes to recover.) However, by the 3rd week there seems to be a BIG jump in the amount of running time, (the run time jumps up between 3 and 5 minutes depending on the training program.) :frown:

I have no problem running in the first two weeks of the regime, but I hit week 3 and I seem to hit a brick wall. I am barely able to run for 3-5 minutes straight. My HR zone will be in the 90-100% range, and by end 3 minutes I and gulping for air. :sick:

I tried repeating prior weeks. I even went back and started other C25K programs hoping for a more gradual ramp up of
running times, but each one is the same; a HUGE jump in the 3rd week and then it seems to gradually build on that.

I wonder if I am trying to run/jog too fast? I can easily walk 3 miles in <45 minutes, so I know I have walking endurance.
I do not know what is an appropriate pace to aim for when it comes to beginning running. It seems if I try going slower, I feel as if I am shuffling my feet with a short stride and could walk faster than I run, yet if I try to run with a longer stride, I burn out by 3 minutes and struggle to even finish the workout session.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just slowing it right right down. Even a kind of shuffly jog will do. Once you can do the 3-5 minutes, you can repeat the week a couple of times to try and improve on your speed a little, but slowly is the best way. Well done on getting this far, keep going and you will get there :)

I still can't run 5k yet, 23 minutes is my longest non stop and I am slow......
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I am trying to run/jog too fast?

Probably. Slow down.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Slow down a bit. The important thing is to keep moving for the allotted time, distance isn't your goal. Slow down to a comfortable pace, you'll do fine. Good luck!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have tried c25k twice. And I never got passed week 4. So I talked to a trainer and she set up a schedule for me.
    I ran half a mile told her my time, and she came up with a schedule for me. I increased my run a half mile ever week.
    I was able to run my run with no problem.....
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I had that with w4 just pushed through and oddly enough felt easier w5, totally agree with slowing down if needed
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25K last year and ran into the same issues. Hit many problems after the first few weeks. I did not go much further than week 4 because I was too over weight and the injuries were killing me. I really feel that I should have established better fitness before starting it. If you're sticking to it(good job) do not move on to the next week until you can complete the previous week with ease. That is you may have to do the same week for one, two, or even three weeks in a row. Just repeat until it gets a little easier. I want to do it and the goal is to complete it this year. Still working on getting a better base fitness level so I don't injure myself though. Good luck.
  • StuKP
    StuKP Posts: 14
    Options
    Having completed C25K a few weeks ago I too found some of the jumps in time/distance almost laughable...but did them anyway.

I don't know the science behind it but it worked and I completed it in the required time. Incidentally, I find running outside MUCH easier than indoors on a treadmill. I also splashed out on some fairly decent running shoes and they made a world of difference too.

When you go from running for a set time to running a set distance it gives you an actual goal to work to as opposed to waiting for the clock to tick down. We have a local park that is exactly 0.5 mile round so it's easy to set a distance goal although I tend to run at between 10 and 12 minutes per mile. this, of course, is dependent on how I feel, the weather and whether annoying people/animals/children get in my way.

Keep going at it but run at a speed you feel comfortable with. Doing something is infinitely better than doing nothing. Download Runtastic if you can, set it up with the C25K intervals and see how you get on. It speaks to you and tells you at regular intervals how far you've run and how much more you have to go.

I wasn't able to run more than 50 yards without coughing and wheezing like an old man before I started calorie counting and using C25K. Now, myself and my Wife have just started the B210K programme and I'm now starting to understand why some people have to run every day.

Good luck with it all!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPals!
    I am trying to do the Couch to 5K training regime, and I am now entering my 3rd week for the 3rd time. :ohwell:

Anyone who has already taken this training regime knows that the first 2 weeks are relatively easy; (running for 1 minute and then walking for 1-2 minutes to recover.) However, by the 3rd week there seems to be a BIG jump in the amount of running time, (the run time jumps up between 3 and 5 minutes depending on the training program.) :frown:

I have no problem running in the first two weeks of the regime, but I hit week 3 and I seem to hit a brick wall. I am barely able to run for 3-5 minutes straight. My HR zone will be in the 90-100% range, and by end 3 minutes I and gulping for air. :sick:

I tried repeating prior weeks. I even went back and started other C25K programs hoping for a more gradual ramp up of
    running times, but each one is the same; a HUGE jump in the 3rd week and then it seems to gradually build on that.

I wonder if I am trying to run/jog too fast? I can easily walk 3 miles in <45 minutes, so I know I have walking endurance.
    I do not know what is an appropriate pace to aim for when it comes to beginning running. It seems if I try going slower, I feel as if I am shuffling my feet with a short stride and could walk faster than I run, yet if I try to run with a longer stride, I burn out by 3 minutes and struggle to even finish the workout session.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

persevere. slow down, and try again. if you need to, repeat any part of the module as you see fit. I tried and gave up FIVE times on c25k, and finally made it count on the 6th attempt...and I managed a marathon less than a year of finishing c25k.

Just dont give up!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Even slow movement is movement. The program is about building up endurance, not speed! Don't give up. You can do it!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...slow down. It isnt about speed, it is about endurance. You dont have to go fast, you just have to go! My first week I was gasping for air after 30 seconds. There was one week where it went from 3 minutes, to 5 minutes, to 8 minutes in one week. Each time I knew the distance was increasing, I started out thinking "I wont be able to go the whole time, but I will just see how far I can go" and each time, by golly, I made it the whole time! I was slow, but my endurance improved immensly by the end of the program and boy did I sure feel accomplished!
  • DaniPulley
    DaniPulley Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was always told that if you can't hold a conversation while jogging..you are going to fast. Slow jogging is better than no jogging!
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just slowing it right right down. Even a kind of shuffly jog will do. Once you can do the 3-5 minutes, you can repeat the week a couple of times to try and improve on your speed a little, but slowly is the best way. Well done on getting this far, keep going and you will get there :)

Everything BlueBoxGeek said! I had done what you've done- tried C25K 3 times previous and never advanced past the 3rd or 4th week. I would always start trying to run way too fast, and either not be able to do it, or get knee pain and have to stop.

I finally was able to complete the program 4 weeks ago. I ran my first 5k in, ready for it???, 47 minutes! Lol. That's an average of a 14.5 minute mile, or slightly over 4mph. It sounds ridiculous, but it works. Now I'm working on increasing my speed, and am able to run at between 5-5.2 mph or around a 12 minute mile for the whole 5k.

Focus on reaching your times for the intervals, however you have to do it. Shuffly-jogs FTW! :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Slowing down will be your best bet. The act of running or jogging takes more effort than walking even if you're going just as fast. You shouldn't be sprinting at this point, unless this is your seventh time through the program and you're just trying to improve your speed. Take it easy, work on your breathing, and don't hurt yourself.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am entered to run a 5k in 2 weeks, and I've been doing C25K since August. As someone with foot issues (congenital left clubfoot - 3 childhood surgeries) and no prior running experience, I ran into some of the same issues as you.

I have progressed as I continued the plan (I run every other day) and my best mile time is 12:09. However, that's still slow! I don't go fast, and there were many times that the first few weeks that I was doing something between a walk and a jog.

For me, the program is really about stamina, not so much distance. The expectation is to run a 5k in 30 minutes at the end, but that's a 10 minute mile. I'm still a long way from that pace.

As your stamina builds, you will be able to do the runs without feeling out of breath.

There's a C25K group on MFP and we're pretty active. People are very supportive and I've gotten a lot of great info from the group, in case you were interested in joining!
  • watchursize
    watchursize Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello, I ran my 1st 5K last thursday in 55 mins. I set my speed between 5.5 - 6.0 on the treadmill, so not going very fast. I dont know what your speed is but sounds like you are going fast. I am just concentrating on completing the run at present not focusing on speed, hopefully will gradually build speed. Hope this helps.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yep just slow down. I completed today. It feels like I am going so slow that snails are overtaking me but I did it!!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I tried the slow down thing too, but it was ridiculous. My "run" was barely faster than my walk in order to get any time done. so I repeated the short interals and increased my run speed (eg. 8mph for 30 seconds). That has helped me enormously in weeks 3 and beyond. Right now I'm going to stay on week 4 (running 6mph) until I feel ready to move on.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I agree with the speed thing. When I did it last year, I swear I wasn't going much more than a brisk walk. I found that breathing in time with my steps helped. I would breathe in for 3 strides and out for 3 strides. Also, music can help with your pace. Not sure what kind you like, but Eminem's Lose Yourself has a beat that worked well for me.

You might also want to check out this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Are you doing this outside or on a treadmill? Outside is a little harder.. On treadmills it's easy to go too fast.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I am trying to run/jog too fast?

If you are using the zen labs c25k app and are going to have it post your workout to mfp, the speeds it will say you did is 4.0 and 5.2.

When I saw this, I was a little freaked because I had been doing 3.5 and 4.5. Was in week 3 for the idk how many time, having never completed it (or a similar version) for a variety of reasons.

I decided to try it, starting over on week 1 day 1 (again) and thought it was going to be impossible for the first dew minutes, but then it wasn't that bad/hard.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing for you to ask this because I'm about to start week 3 (and I may delay it one more session since I had to take a few days off). I'd read one set of instructions for C25K that said to start at your slowest possible running speed. Once you have the endurance the speed will come naturally. So I started at 4.5mph. By the third session of week 1 4.5mph just felt too lethargic to me so I upped things to 5mph. When I finished off week 2 I pushed it a little more to 5.2mph. Based on your experience I think I'll drop myself back to 4.5mph for the first week 3 session and then start pushing myself higher again in future sessions.

So, it seems like the best thing to do is what many others have said, slow down.