Counting Calories at Desk Job

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't use a fitbit or anything like that. I do have my activity level set at "sedentary" on MFP and I work at a desk job.

I get up from my desk 4-5 times per hour at least, to make copies, scan documents, file, etc. I purposely "make" myself get up and walk around the large office at least once an hour and refill my water glass every other time or so. But I don't log any activity for all of that.

Once or twice a week, I have a really busy day that means I am showing visitors around the plant where I work. It takes up most of a city block and that involves me walking inside and outside, for about 15-20 minutes two or three times during the day. When that happens, I will log it as roughly 20-30 min of leisurely pace walking (for the whole day).

A few times I've been the only one in the front office with a very light workload and decided to walk briskly up and down the long corridors for 10-15 min at a time. Again, I log it but under-log somewhat. A total of 60 min walking up/down the halls I'll log as 20 min leisurely pace walking.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is the general consensus on counting the calories burned at a desk job? I saw on my fitbit where I can add this activity and track the calories burned during that time. however, the fitbit is already tracking my calories (basal metabolic?) Is counting those calories double counting?

BMR (basal metabolic rate) = ZERO activity level. Your FitBit (because you work in an office) ..... is basal metabolic + sedentary activity level. These 2 things added together are your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) ....unless you also exercise, then your TDEE is higher.

To lose weight you need to take a deficit from TDEE. MFP is more generic than your FitBit ....I would go with your FitBit numbers.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all that but can we all agree light cleaning definitely burns 1000 calories?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Those mouse clicks really add up...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all that but can we all agree light cleaning definitely burns 1000 calories?

Don't forget those who DEEP clean (never figured out what that is) because that must be worth at least 2500 calories. I sweat, therefore I eat!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

lol
  • jstallings214
    jstallings214 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lol, that's what desk jobs are, haha. Click the mouse at set intervals and type on the keyboard every now and then. Who knows, if it's a crazy day, I'll spin in my chair a little!!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I wear a Body Media and have it synced to MFP, I never manually enter extra calories burned. I also have a desk job and can tell you based off of my charts my average MET over the course of an 8 hour day is 1.2 while sitting at my desk. My average MET while sleeping is 0.9, so my desk job is "burning" a little more then sleep does. So no, I wouldn't count my desk job as exercise.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    What is the general consensus on counting the calories burned at a desk job? I saw on my fitbit where I can add this activity and track the calories burned during that time. however, the fitbit is already tracking my calories (basal metabolic?) Is counting those calories double counting?

Considering you are sitting in a chair I would not attempt to count any additional calories for "activity".

This. I also work a desk job. I can't imagine counting calories for sitting at work all day. You would just be cheating yourself.
  • jstallings214
    jstallings214 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! So it's a definite no, don't count those calories.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you count your desk job as exercise??? Do you count breathing too?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, and I wear a BodyMedia Fit Link every day. I chose to do this because it monitors your body temp, sweat, and other factors to rate your caloric burn, instead of using just average calculations like the Fitbit. Of course, both are tools that you can use, and it depends on what kind of data you're looking for as a result of wearing the unit.

Anyway, since desk work is so sedentary, I really wanted to know to as exact as possible what my calorie burns were for the day. I adjusted my calorie goals on MFP to reflect what the BMFL says. As it goes through the day, and you update to the site, it adjusts your calorie goals and shows how much more you have to burn before you meet your minimum.

Also because things are so sedentary, I invested in a mini-stationary bike that I use under my desk while I work. It is not a full on workout but it keeps my legs moving, and I burn quite a bit of calories adding it to my day. I think everyone should look into getting some mini-equipment when they work at a desk all day, as it is soooo good for you and your legs. Sitting-related water retention has gone down drastically since I started using it.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Difference between sitting at a desk and standing isn't much so I don't bother. Plus it makes me get out at lunch to get some weights in.

I also find hiding food away from sight helps; I bring my own food in, own meals etc but put them out of sight so I don't get tempted to scoff while playing pong...
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Considering you are sitting in a chair I would not attempt to count any additional calories for "activity".

This. I also work a desk job. I can't imagine counting calories for sitting at work all day. You would just be cheating yourself.

Another desk job here... In the beginning, I set my activity level as Sedentary and logged any additional activity (gym workouts, dog walking, mowing lawn, shovelling snow, etc). After 243 days of that, got down to my goal weight of 145. I've since settled down to 142 and been maintaining for about a year now. Currently, targets are at 1840 cals/day with an extra 290 or so gained from daily (Mon-Fri) gym workouts.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything done at work. Unless I use my lunch break to go for a walk. And thanks to the copious amounts of liquid I drink I go up and down steps 50 million times a day. Going to the copier, go to the fridge, going to my co-workers office, checking my mailbox.. i don't count any of it. Sometimes i pace around the office if i'm trying to process something or think something through. I don't log that either.

I really want a fitbit though.. Christmas is coming.. someone wanna get me one?? :~p
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    , I invested in a mini-stationary bike t

Need more info. what is it? And where did you get it?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    , I invested in a mini-stationary bike t

Need more info. what is it? And where did you get it?

You can get a simple model at Walmart in the exercise equipment area. It is a "leg and arm cycle", costs about $25 there.
    You can get all sorts of types off of Amazon though. Some pretty cheap and simple, other very involved. Some come with HRM, calorie counters, magnetic resistance, and more.
    Basically, you decide what you want and then go for it. I have had several cuz I wear them out ;) I love it though!
    They also make mini-ellipticals and stair steppers. Many are made specifically to be used to exercise the legs (and sometimes arms) while sitting. It makes it perfect for use during the work day!

That's what I'm doing when you read my status saying that I'm on the pedals ;)
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I don't count any calories unless I'm on my feet for like longer than 20 minutes and its not day to day stuff.