To my weightlifting peeps...

Do y'all eat at a deficit? I started New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. It's a book, and it's great! I do it 3 times/week, along with Zumba 3-5 x's/week, and treadmill 3 x's/week at a moderate pace. The book says not to eat at a deficit, but if I must, I could eat at a small deficit. I'm on week 3 now, and I've already seen great improvements. I've lost inches already and I've definately gotten stronger. Just curious, what do y'all think about eating at a deficit. Do you? I have been since I started it. TIA. :D

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I eat at a deficit while lifting to lose fat.

I eat a surplus while lifting to gain mass.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    i'm on a different programme from you (starting strength) but, yes, i'm eating at a deficit. as soon as my strength gains stall, i'm planning to up calories gradually.

i've been making steady (strength) gains for 9 weeks at deficit :)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

^ All of this. I do the same.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member

what Jonny said.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member

^^this^^
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Yep. I'm also doing NROLfW (been doing it for almost 6 weeks, but only on week 4 due to having to lay off for a couple of weeks. I eat at a 300 calorie deficit of my TDEE and I do not do an extra protein shake on my lifting days as the book recommends. So far, I'm losing an average of a lb a week (though the loss isn't completely linear) and seeing inch loss/definition.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Out of curiosity, what explanation did the book give for you not eating at a deficit?

I obviously agree with what Jonny said

The book is written from the standpoint of body recomposition rather than weight loss, and recommends not using a calorie deficit because most women who are trying to lose just a small amount of weight don't actually need to lose weight to get the results they want (and losing weight won't give them those results anyway), they just need to change their body fat percentage. Doing the lifting creates a small deficit to help burn fat and recomp.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member

^ All of this. I do the same.

Same here. I do make sure I eat enough calories & protein to support my lifting but that can be done at a deficit.

I am also interested in body recomp rather than scale weight.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    yeah all the time by accident
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

this
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Thanks replying everyone!!! :D I appreciate it. :heart: :drinker:
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,966 Member
    Thanks replying everyone!!! :D I appreciate it. :heart: :drinker:

I eat at a deficit. But I truly do not know what I burn. So I guess a lot. :) And it does not bother me. :bigsmile: