What do you do if you are a sugar craver?

Options
My trouble has always been my sweet tooth. I love healthy food--whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean meat, milk, etc., and I am not as tempted by salty or fried foods or even fast food, but I do LOVE sweets--chocolate, gummy candy, hard candy, etc. I really feel this is a molecular issue for some people of foods you can be addicted to.

When i was growing up, my mom did not allow sugary cereal, desserts, or anything else, but when I was little, I found her to be a closet sugar eater, and I became one as well.

I've found a few things that help--eating well and not feeling hungry, planning ahead, eating dark chocolate dusted almonds, eating fruit or yogurt after a meal, etc. But I still crave sweets.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My trouble has always been my sweet tooth. I love healthy food--whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean meat, milk, etc., and I am not as tempted by salty or fried foods or even fast food, but I do LOVE sweets--chocolate, gummy candy, hard candy, etc. I really feel this is a molecular issue for some people of foods you can be addicted to.

When i was growing up, my mom did not allow sugary cereal, desserts, or anything else, but when I was little, I found her to be a closet sugar eater, and I became one as well.

I've found a few things that help--eating well and not feeling hungry, planning ahead, eating dark chocolate dusted almonds, eating fruit or yogurt after a meal, etc. But I still crave sweets.

Any ideas?

If you have a problem with sugar, just don't keep it in your house. My best suggestion is to just eat it in moderation. It's something you have to practice to get good at (just like everything else), but eventually you CAN have just 2 cookies intead of 20. Some people will preach that cutting sweets out completely is the only way to go, but in my opinion, that's no way worth living. :-)
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I really sympathise! Moderation is probably the best way but there are some things I just can't have in the house - chocolate (especially Snickers :)) Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Mcvities chocolate digestives. If they're there then they call to me until I eat them, ALL of them. Try to wean your sweet tooth off the really bad stuff and don't have it around until you feel your willpower is up to dealing with it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yep - what Holly said...........

You have 2 choices.........no sugar, eventually the cravings go away. But, if you don't plan on being sugar free forever ....then what?

Choice 2: practice, practice, practice.

I try to hold off on sugar as long as I can. Then I plan on a sugar treat (provided I am still on track). Ghiradelli squares are great - individually wrapped. I go for dark chocolate as that has "more" chocolate flavor & less sugar.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Work them into your plan as often as you need to to not feel deprived. Your chances of long term success will be much greater if you do.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead to have ice cream every single night of your life, like I do (with some exceptions to make room for other stuff).
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have heard this before or even tried it but chew gum. I chew a very strong tasting gum then I don't crave anything. I really like Dentyne Ice, Peppermint. Gives me that I just brushed my teeth taste so then I don't want to eat anything.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Any ideas?

I'm a lot like that too. I am definitely a sugar craver. You have been given many good ideas. I often use the gum one, especially after lunch it works quite well.

As for different "not quite as bad" options instead of giving in to the desire for chocolate, ice cream, pie, etc...

1 or 1/2 TBSP of marshmallow crème with 2 whole almonds and/or 4-5 chocolate chips

French toast made with cinnamon, 1 egg (or egg white), splash of milk and Cary's sugar free syrup
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Work them into your plan as often as you need to to not feel deprived. Your chances of long term success will be much greater if you do.

+1 I recommend low-fat frozen yogurt.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead to have ice cream every single night of your life, like I do (with some exceptions to make room for other stuff).

Also this:happy: :bigsmile:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This! Look in my diary. Ice Cream EVERY SINGLE DAY.:drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this
    this man makes fabulous desserts too.

and I agree. I have sugar almost every day- ice cream- chocolate whatever. I don't get crazy restrictive unless I'm doing a challenge and there is a clear defined beginning and ending and it's not as much for diet as it is for discipline purposes.
  • missbliss25
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I could sit down and easily eat a whole box of chocolates... it would make me sick of course but that doesn't stop me from doing it again :tongue:

If you have a keurig... hot cocoa is my go-to. The dunkin donuts hot cocoa k-cups only have 70 calories and you make it with water, just like the regular coffee. Hot liquids stretch your stomach muscles and intestines, so it tends to make you full more quickly. So instead of having a 230 calorie snickers bar and still feeling hungry, I'll make myself a cup of hot cocoa that only has 6 grams of sugar and feel pretty comfortable right afterwards. Hope this helps!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I am a huuuuuge sugar craver, too, but I just muster up enough self control to not eat it nonstop. I don't keep it in my desk at work since that's just sabotage, and every night I save calories for candy or cookies and have it before bed.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was the same way and trying to eat sweets in moderation was like a vicious joke. Honestly, I have recently discovered that I am allergic to both dairy & wheat and so that has automatically taken many things out of my diet, especially certain sweets. HOWEVER, I have dessert almost every night. I make things that are low glycemic, using natural fruits or honey as the sweetener, as omitting wheat from my diet has made me crave sweets much less and I don't see the reason to encourage that addiction by indulging in high glycemic desserts. It is only a suggestion, but perhaps you should consider getting rid of wheat and other high glycemic foods( aka sugar) from your diet and see where t takes you.

Good luck!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I was the same way and trying to eat sweets in moderation was like a vicious joke. Honestly, I have recently discovered that I am allergic to both dairy & wheat and so that has automatically taken many things out of my diet, especially certain sweets. HOWEVER, I have dessert almost every night. I make things that are low glycemic, using natural fruits or honey as the sweetener, as omitting wheat from my diet has made me crave sweets much less and I don't see the reason to encourage that addiction by indulging in high glycemic desserts. It is only a suggestion, but perhaps you should consider getting rid of wheat and other high glycemic foods( aka sugar) from your diet and see where t takes you.

Good luck!
    There is no reason to deprive yourself of ANY foods unless you have a medical condition (like yourself) where those foods should be avoided. This should be a lifestyle change and not a diet and for the sake of adherence and overall happiness, you can incorporate everything you enjoy... in moderation of course.:flowerforyou:
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Coca~Cola addict here! Haven't had any major problems giving up most other unhealthy stuff, but Coke is a whole different beast. I'm never satisfied with just one and drinking it triggers cravings for other unhealthy foods (chips and other fatty stuff). I absolutely believe we can become addicted to sugar. I live it!

I'm not sure it's genetic, but I do believe it can be "passed on" generationally through example and lifestyle. I do better when I keep it out of the house. I've tried "just having one" and working it into my calories and even when I was successful, all I thought about was the little red cans of deliciousness waiting for me.

Try different things until you find something that works for you. If you can eat just a little of something sweet, that's great! If you can't, keep it out of reach and out of the house so you aren't tempted. Perhaps, in time, it will get easier!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    cookie addict myself. My suggestion would be stevia in the raw. Also greek yogurt would help too. But in the long run, it is better to start restricted your sugar intake a bit. The reason is when that happens things become sweeter to you. So later on down the line, you will be able to satiate your sugar pains with a piece of fruit and that would be the end of it.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Tof