Better To Eat Pre or Post Working Out?

Options
I'm wondering if it's better to eat before working out, or after. I typically work out a minimum 5 days per week, and do so in between dropping child #1 off at school, and taking #2 child to school. Wasn't sure if I should eat breakfast before I work out, or if it's OK to do so after I'm finished.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's completely personal preference, one way isn't going to make you lose weight faster or look better sooner.

Some people get light headed if they don't eat before, some don't.

I personally feel like I can do more or go harder if I eat some carbs before hand.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm ravenous in the morning, so always have a light breakfast including some carbs and a little protein before my morning workout. Then, afterwards, I have another light breakfast (to refuel) with mostly protein afterwards. Seems to work for me!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I typically like a snack before hand, banana, yogurt, etc... then a meal afterward. Needless to say, I usually work out after work, so by the time I'm done I can eat a truck!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I have to wait about an hour after eating before I workout. It's not a good situation if I go any sooner.

So I either eat, wait, and then workout or workout then eat when I get home from the gym.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's completely personal preference, one way isn't going to make you lose weight faster or look better sooner.

Some people get light headed if they don't eat before, some don't.

I personally feel like I can do more or go harder if I eat some carbs before hand.

^^^ +1
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Its all about what works for you, I have a protein shake 45 min before a lifting session and one just after.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I usually have breakfast before and then a shake and a snack (well sometimes more of a 2nd breakfast) after :)

But generally what the others said. Try it out see what works best for you!
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do what works with your body.

For me I do better if I eat after I workout in the mornings. If I workout in the evenings I have to wait at least an hour, preferably longer. I found if I eat shortly before I workout I don't feel good.
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    when i do a big workout I could not do it it I didnt have a good amount of protein first I usually have eggs before and a protein smoothie after
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite of most here, but I also work out in the evenings. I do a small but filling snack 2 hours before I work out (greek yogurt, fruit and cheese, etc) and then eat a meal within 30-45 minutes of finishing a workout. On the rare day off when I get to workout in the morning, I usually drink half a protein shake 30 minutes or so before I hit the gym, then eat breakfast afterwards. I just cannot workout on a full stomach, but at the same time I have to make sure I'm not running on empty or it screws with my blood sugar.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to you. I love working out at night, around 6:30 or 7, I will have a decent lunch around 12:30 and then a little snack around 4-5. After I work out I have my protein shake and main meal for the day, but I'm a night owl so it works better for me to eat late. I also do not working out on a full stomach. Why not have a little snack before you drop your child off and then workout and see how you feel?
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Maybe I will try a small snack tomorrow before my workout and see how I feel.