Loosing weight and loose skin

Options
2»

Replies

• gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I personally think phentermine is great... but opinions are like *kitten*... everyone has one (and some people are one lol) Its what ever works best for you... who the heck cares how you lose it as long as it is lost... I am currently not taking any pills right now but I have in the past and it worked great. Good luck and if you lose the weight slow and work out you will be less likely to have loose skin problems :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Genetics, hydration and the such all have influences.

When you LOSE the weight, you may have LOOSE skin, but that certainly beats skin with fat under it :-)
  • gabbygirl78
    Options
    Another thing that I had problems with that you may or may not be having issues with is Diastasis Recti issues as a result of both pregnancies and it made me look as though I was still pregnant. Since I started doing exercises for that, it has helped a bit with the loose skin in my abdomen. I had to do very specific exercises for it...not just typical crunches as well as wear a binder to help heal it.

tell me more!!! I have looked pregnant since i had my daughter..... 13 YEARS AGO! No matter what i do.. i still have this round pregnant belly and its driving me bananas!!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, if you have loose skin from having kids, and it hasn't snapped back within 2 years, then yes, you may see some loose skin after losing the weight.
    i walk 2 miles a day and 150 crunches if not more a day

Judgment-free observation - 10 pounds is the appropriate amount of weight one can expect to lose from that amount of exercise. If you ever decide to get more results from exercise, you will need to increase the amount and/or intensity of the exercise you do.
    Also keep in mind that crunches do not target abdominal fat or skin. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth". You'll get more results following a full-body strength training program (New Rules of Lifting, etc).
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    While I can't say for definite whether you will have loose skin or not, a really good moisturizer goes a long way. Just like with pregnant bellies, if you moisturize the whole time, the skin snaps back a lot more. That being said, skin does lose it's elasticity over time and no cream will magically add it back. Losing weight through exercise will definitely cause less loose skin than just diet or medications alone, but certain things can't be prevented entirely.

Now for my annoying part I'm sure you'll hear a million times:

What I'm truly concerned with is the fact you have small children and are taking a very dangerous stimulant. Even under doctor's supervision (you hear all the side effects of other medications they can prescribe- so just because your doctor says it's "okay" doesn't mean it's "good for you") it's a very dangerous medication. After all, don't they make more money when you're sick or have a heart attack and are in the hospital for weeks? I'm not saying your doctor is a bad person- they are just trying to help you. However, the risks of doing long-term damage to your heart simply don't seem worth it in my eyes. Would losing 20 pounds but taking 5 years off your life with your kids really be worth it? I'm sure they love you and want you around as long as they can, and damaging the vital organ that is keeping you alive is never worth it. I hope you decide to take the long and difficult journey of exercise and diet as opposed to this quick(er) fix. Your children will be grateful.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    tell me more!!! I have looked pregnant since i had my daughter..... 13 YEARS AGO! No matter what i do.. i still have this round pregnant belly and its driving me bananas!!!

prolly should start taking phentermine again
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, if you have loose skin from having kids, and it hasn't snapped back within 2 years, then yes, you may see some loose skin after losing the weight.
    i walk 2 miles a day and 150 crunches if not more a day

Judgment-free observation - 10 pounds is the appropriate amount of weight one can expect to lose from that amount of exercise. If you ever decide to get more results from exercise, you will need to increase the amount and/or intensity of the exercise you do.
    Also keep in mind that crunches do not target abdominal fat or skin. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth". You'll get more results following a full-body strength training program (New Rules of Lifting, etc).

+1
  • gabbygirl78
    Options

Aww how sweet , I probably will .. thanks so much for trying to help :flowerforyou:
  • gabbygirl78
    Options
    Another thing that I had problems with that you may or may not be having issues with is Diastasis Recti issues as a result of both pregnancies and it made me look as though I was still pregnant. Since I started doing exercises for that, it has helped a bit with the loose skin in my abdomen. I had to do very specific exercises for it...not just typical crunches as well as wear a binder to help heal it.

I just googled this and it is amazing that no Dr has been able to tell me what was wrong with my stomach! I thought it was a hernia but they just kept saying no it wasn't wow!!! Guess i'm going to add planks to my exercise routine to try and help this... Im so glad you posted this comment!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options

What I'm truly concerned with is the fact you have small children and are taking a very dangerous stimulant. Even under doctor's supervision (you hear all the side effects of other medications they can prescribe- so just because your doctor says it's "okay" doesn't mean it's "good for you") it's a very dangerous medication. After all, don't they make more money when you're sick or have a heart attack and are in the hospital for weeks? I'm not saying your doctor is a bad person- they are just trying to help you. However, the risks of doing long-term damage to your heart simply don't seem worth it in my eyes. Would losing 20 pounds but taking 5 years off your life with your kids really be worth it? I'm sure they love you and want you around as long as they can, and damaging the vital organ that is keeping you alive is never worth it. I hope you decide to take the long and difficult journey of exercise and diet as opposed to this quick(er) fix. Your children will be grateful.

As nice as this post was as to not be rude.....most of it is false.

1. Phentermine is NOT a Very dangerous stimulate or medication if you have no previous heart conditions or other medical factors as outlined by the prescription guidelines.

2. No studies that Phentermine does anything to your heart that permanently damages it, and for anyone who continually disputes this fact...please show me heart conditions listed on the side effects that people love to post about phentermine.

Trust your medical professional....not the people on this forum who feel a desire to dish out inaccurate medical advice.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options

I just googled this and it is amazing that no Dr has been able to tell me what was wrong with my stomach! I thought it was a hernia but they just kept saying no it wasn't wow!!! Guess i'm going to add planks to my exercise routine to try and help this... Im so glad you posted this comment!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Yeah...it kinda is like Hernia....and you are right...most doctors will not mention it. Did you do the finger test to see how big yours is? Mine was over a 4 finger spread :-(. Is still is a long road with me trying to fix it...but I am noticing a difference little by little.
  • Baba_Roxy
    Baba_Roxy Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Every post you make brings out more of the raging lesbian in me. She's starting to wear flannel.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Well, if you lose weight rapidly, without strength training, you're more likely to have issues with loose skin. So if you're going to take phentermine & use a very low calorie diet to drop a bunch of pounds really quickly.....yes, you can expect loose skin.
  • crapshack
    crapshack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly and in a healthful manner - I'm talking like a year or more to lose the 60 lbs, and you shouldn't have a problem. Give your skin time to keep up with your body. Most of the loose skin issues that I've seen have been from people who have lost over 100 lbs in a very short span of time - i.e. with lapband or super restrictive diets. What's your hurry? Congrats on the 10 lbs!

Edit - also make sure you're building and maintaining muscle mass. You don't need a gym membership, just keep your protein high and do bodyweight type exercises. www.fitnessblender.com has been a great resource for me, and www.doyogawithme.com on my days where I don't feel like doing anything too intense.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    When you LOSE the weight, you may have LOOSE skin, but that certainly beats skin with fat under it :-)

And a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat!

Ha! MFP hat trick! :drinker:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    +1
    +1

+1

• jaxgodfreyy
    Options
    to be a supporting site you people are very negative.. i wasn't asking your opinion on a pill i was asking about skin being loose. i walk 2 miles a day and 150 crunches if not more a day- i do my exercises but thank you

It astounds me how many people on here love to talk down to people for their choices in weight loss. Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean their option is better, ya know? I was posting a lot when I first started on here, but even in the chit chat section people were just plain mean, so I've mostly stopped.

I do not have much advice on the loose skin, I just saw this thread and was very upset with how you've been "welcomed" to the site, and for that, I apologize on behalf of douchey people. Your question was not about your method of weight loss, but of course they just had to comment on it.

I hope you do find the answers you're looking for, though!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I about didn't come back to even look what people had to say it pisses me off that people are so dang rude! as long as we are getting healthy and doing right it shouldn't matter! Im not sticking my finger in my throat like a lot of people... some people just need that extra help to loose the first few
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly and loose skin will probably not be an issue. GIve your skin a chance to shrink along with your body. If you lose too fast, the skin will just hang. Concentrate on eating a healthy, clean diet and start lifting some weights. You'll look better when the weight does come off.