Share your secrets of remaining consistent please!

Options
Share your secrets to remaining consistent. I dont understand why i lose all motivation , and get back to my old eating habits and lazy lazy behaviour. There has to be something that will make that bulb go off in my head.

I am 200 lbs now. i want to reach my goal of 130 - 140 lbs. This is the heaviest iv been my entire life. I travel a lot and eat out the entire week. I know i should stop making excuses. I just need to get consistent. Im so bad that i have eve started dodging my trainer. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Walk / bike everywhere.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The thing is, you either want it or you don't.

There's no secret to motivation or consistency, it is purely an internal thing. You either have to be ready to make the changes to change or accept your life the way it is and keep doing what you are doing.

I realized that I needed to make serious changes last year when I went to buy new jeans and had to size up....twice. Instead of buying the big jeans, I walked out of the store and immediately started analyzing my eating/activity choices.

Part of your failure may be in that you are trying to take on too many changes at once. There's nothing shameful in slow progress because it is still PROGRESS. Make a plan, write it down, and stick to it. Put it up on your fridge if you have to. Set small short-term goals and try to meet all of them. I understand how easy it is to get caught up in the number on the scale, but that isn't what this is all about.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Consistancy is something to build up too. In order to "build" it ....you have to let go of the "I screwed up this time.....so when I'm ready....I'll start over." You're not starting over.

Baby steps....do 1 thing consistantly ....then add something else. When you try to do everything at once (and you screw up) .... it's too easy to throw in the towel.

Years ago I realized that I was not eating very many vegetables....a day or 2 would go by and I hadn't had a real serving of veggies (and I like veggies) ....My New Year's resolution was to eat a serving of vegetables every single day. Another resolution ....move more. You can use a pedometer, or a video it doesn't matter. I had a small exercise goal for the week....I logged minutes into a spreadsheet. After I became consistant with the small goal...I added more minutes. Make yourself accountable....if you need to put a smiley face sticker on a calendar (in a public place) for every workout....then do that.

After awhile you will fall into a rhythm.....as long as you have more good days than bad .....you are making progress. You might break your weight loss goals into smaller pieces ....my first goal is xxx and so on.
  • navnair
    navnair Posts: 3 Member
    Options

There's no secret to motivation or consistency, it is purely an internal thing. You either have to be ready to make the changes to change or accept your life the way it is and keep doing what you are doing.

I realized that I needed to make serious changes last year when I went to buy new jeans and had to size up....twice. Instead of buying the big jeans, I walked out of the store and immediately started analyzing my eating/activity choices.

Part of your failure may be in that you are trying to take on too many changes at once. There's nothing shameful in slow progress because it is still PROGRESS. Make a plan, write it down, and stick to it. Put it up on your fridge if you have to. Set small short-term goals and try to meet all of them. I understand how easy it is to get caught up in the number on the scale, but that isn't what this is all about.

I totally agree, i am under a lot of pressure ( mostly what others think about me ) to lose weight. It might be half something i created in my head, and half actual people shaking their heads as to what a big crime i did by putting on all this weight.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options

This! The fact is... JUST DO IT! I would take baby steps, one day at a time, switch out a bad habit for a good habit and over time it become the new norm... A routine! Start bringing food with you instead of eating out. Meal planning is my biggest savior.
  • navnair
    navnair Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Consistancy is something to build up too. In order to "build" it ....you have to let go of the "I screwed up this time.....so when I'm ready....I'll start over." You're not starting over.

Baby steps....do 1 thing consistantly ....then add something else. When you try to do everything at once (and you screw up) .... it's too easy to throw in the towel.

Years ago I realized that I was not eating very many vegetables....a day or 2 would go by and I hadn't had a real serving of veggies (and I like veggies) ....My New Year's resolution was to eat a serving of vegetables every single day. Another resolution ....move more. You can use a pedometer, or a video it doesn't matter. I had a small exercise goal for the week....I logged minutes into a spreadsheet. After I became consistant with the small goal...I added more minutes. Make yourself accountable....if you need to put a smiley face sticker on a calendar (in a public place) for every workout....then do that.

After awhile you will fall into a rhythm.....as long as you have more good days than bad .....you are making progress. You might break your weight loss goals into smaller pieces ....my first goal is xxx and so on.

I totally agree. There is this urgency, this need to find a shortcut because of all the pressure, and i am sure that things dont work that way. Atlast i do more damage by pigging out due to the guilt/
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    be kind consistency is a frame of mind. your goals, your wants, desires, are always on your mind in some form. no one is perfect no one will have a perfect day every day. you will have days where being consistent is just tracking your food for the day or going for that walk or just logging onto mfp and telling your friends youre still alive and still fighting.

life changes some times you cant do exactly what you were doing yesterday, and you have to modify. Just every day do something.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be ready.

For me, something just swtiched on and I knew I was ready. However, this time around I was ready for it to take time. This time I was ready to take one step instead of a leap forward. This time I didn't cut out foods that I loved. This time it's a life change not a diet.

One other major change is I don't make ANY excuses for "falling off the wagon" because there really is no wagon to fall off. A bad day is just another day.

It seems to be working for me.
  • burtle
    burtle Posts: 27
    Options
    I try to be consistently good during the weekdays (no alcohol, eat clean and exercise), then reward myself on the weekends (but still try to exercise so at least its a break even). The biggest thing is not to freak out if you have a bad day - its what you do consistently over weeks and months that brings results. Good luck!
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try to be consistently good during the weekdays (no alcohol, eat clean and exercise), then reward myself on the weekends (but still try to exercise so at least its a break even). The biggest thing is not to freak out if you have a bad day - its what you do consistently over weeks and months that brings results. Good luck!

this ^ for me too. Don't beat yourself up if you slack off, just recognize it and move on.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Don't try to make unrealistic changes to your eating habits. Don't tell yourself you have to live off salads and yoghurt every day, and that you can't have any 'bad' foods. Make small changes, eat smaller portions, maybe cut out a can of soda each day, or cut back on juices. Small things. Don't restrict yourself, you can still eat whatever you want, but if it's a high calorie meal limit your portion or work out.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have pictures on my mirror at my heaviest to remind me that It is a daily struggle but I have to continue to work hard everyday even if I slip up drink that Pepsi that I don't need the next day get right back to my goal to a healthy lifestyle :wink:
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also had that problem of consistency every other time I have tried to loose weight. This time I found an exercise I love (swimming) so I am not getting bored with that part of this lifestyle change. Also, when I got to the point I have had I the most trouble I the past (200 lbs) I did something completely different ... I reached out for support on MFP and it has been great. To have people cheering you on and support them in return is just a great motivator to keep going.

Also, I try to look at food differently this time. I can eat a piece of pizza now and then, but only one slice, not three or four, and then I adjust what I eat the rest of the day. When I go out I eat smaller portions and bring home leftovers. I have even gone to a buffet now and then and made smarter, more healthier choices because this is it for me. I am determined not to gain it back again and like you I have a goal weight of 130 lbs. feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There is really no secret. You have to want it more then anything else. You have to get to the point where you can't, not do it.
    For me it was about taking back control of my own life and not letting my feelings (good or bad), or the opinions of others dictate my behavior.

It is also about not giving up just because you mess up here and there, or you don't lose as fast as you think you should. I think I read on MFP someone say something like: You wouldn't slash your other 3 tires just because one went flat, would you? Don't give in just because of a few mistakes a long the way. It's a long journey. It's got to be enjoyable or it would be easy to give up.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have a vision of myself in the future, it does not waver, it isn't what I *want* to be, it is what I naturally am and will inevitably become.

On a more practical level I have built in my exercise and nutritional choices as habit, I don't have to decide anything, it just gets done.

It's who I am so I don't feel I'm fighting myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I totally agree. There is this urgency, this need to find a shortcut because of all the pressure, and i am sure that things dont work that way. Atlast i do more damage by pigging out due to the guilt/

The secret is to take it one day at a time. Stop chasing that imaginary finish line...it truly does not exist...you are never "done" when you make proper diet and fitness your life. You have to realize you are going to have good days and bad days and better days and worse days...that's just life in general. When you fall down, you just have to get back up and brush yourself off. You just have to strive to be better today than you were yesterday...sleep well in the knowledge that you will be more awesome tomorrow than you were today. Before you know it, a year has passed and you look back at your awesomeness and can't wait until next year when you'll be even more awesome...and then the rest of your awesome life...
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I find getting negative feedback the day after I've not followed my plan is valuable - as is getting positive feedback! A lot of my "consistency" is thinking "if I do this, I won't get a good weigh-in tomorrow". Daily weights compared to a trend line keep me on track, and when I get a diamond on or above the line I always know why that is and it's a strong motivator not to make the same mistake again.

There are a lot of graphing tools like this, I like to recommend trendweight.com because it's completely free (even ad-free).

Osric

4w.png
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I just focus on who I want to be and what I want to see. Soon you are successful and it's easy to stay motivated. Good luck
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    First, have goals. Measure your progress toward those goals. Remember SMART

Specific - Make it clear and unambiguous.
    Measurable - Know how to measure it.
    Attainable - Make sure it's realistic. Setting yourself up for failure is not a good idea.
    Relevant - Fit it into the overall plan of improving your health.
    Time Bound - I find this less important for weight loss and fitness, but deadlines help some people.

"I will lose weight" is not a SMART goal. Nor is "I will get fit".

SMART goals would be -

I will lose 10 pounds of fat in the next 4 months.
    I will be able to run for 30 minutes straight by January 1, 2014.
    I will reduce my 5k time from 26 minutes to 25 minutes in the next 12 weeks (this is actually one of mine).
    I will achieve a 150% of body weight squat by April 1, 2014 (another of mine).

Track your progress, and give yourself a pat on the back each time you get closer to them. "I ran 15 minutes straight today, great - I'm closer to my goal", "I squat 200lb today - I'm closer to my goal". By doing this you'll start to look forward to that dopamine rush of success, which will breed consistency, which will breed more success.

If you are having trouble with adhering to a particular style of eating, I say ditch it. Instead, build up in baby steps, so if you fail one step you can still fall back on the previous. Get your calories right first. To heck with what you're eating, just moderate how much. Then learn about macros. Then try to improve your diet if you are deficient in vegetables and fruit. Finally, after you've mastered those tehniques, you can think about lifestyle diets if they appeal - things like clean eating and veganism. Just remember that if they don't work out, you don't have to go back to how you ate before - you just drop back to moderation, macro control, and getting your five-a-day.
  • maryrx59
    maryrx59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The book "Made to Crave" has made a difference in my mindset and motivation. And the bible verse from 1 Cor 10:23... Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.

I relied on my own willpower the first 4-5 months, and then after reading this book and discussing it weekly with friends, my relationship with food has changed for good.

I challenge anyone to read it and join the discussion group HERE under "Made to Crave"

Good luck to you!
    Mary