Bruising from Deadlifts

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I have bruising on my knees from the bar dragging against them on deadlifts...this wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have knee problems, so this bruising is particularly painful and causing more inflammation. Is this a form issue? Or should I slap an Ace bandage on or something to provide some padding?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    where are you hitting?

on the way up or the way down?
  • JTick
    Options
    where are you hitting?

on the way up or the way down?

Both I think. I have some bruising directly below my kneecap, and some directly above. Mostly on my right knee, which is my bad knee.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah it happens to an extent. Not sure if it's strictly a form issue, though this shouldn't be happening to you on a regular basis.

As a general rule when I deadlift, I start with my legs, and only engage my hips to pull forward when I've passed my knees. Then on the way down I only bend my legs once I've passed my knees. The heavier it gets the hard it is to execute like this, but does that help?

Pick up Starting Strength. It has all the info you need on the big lifts.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A video of deadlifting would be idea. It almost sounds like you're either starting with the bar too far out in front of you or too close. If too far, then the bar is going to come back to where it's suppose to be an smack you in the leg. If too close, then you're going to drag it up your leg. Check out "So You Think You Can Deadlift" on YouTube. Or YouTube search Dave Tate and Deadlifting.
  • JNick77
    Options

Not hardly. Contrary to popular belief, there are far better instructors than Mr. Rippletoe.
  • JTick
    Options
    A video of deadlifting would be idea. It almost sounds like you're either starting with the bar too far out in front of you or too close. If too far, then the bar is going to come back to where it's suppose to be an smack you in the leg. If too close, then you're going to drag it up your leg. Check out "So You Think You Can Deadlift" on YouTube. Or YouTube search Dave Tate and Deadlifting.

This sounds like the bar is too close then, but I thought the bar was pretty much supposed to dragging some in order to keep it close to your body? I will check out the video, thank you!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Post a video to check your form.
  • JTick
    Options
    Post a video to check your form.

I will try to get a video, although the gym is often empty when I am there. I will see if I can round someone up though!
  • JoRocka
    Options

This sounds like the bar is too close then, but I thought the bar was pretty much supposed to dragging some in order to keep it close to your body? I will check out the video, thank you!

Yeah I tend bang mine on the way down- but that's usually because I'm getting heavy and sloppy. Move the hips -then get the knees moving.

Don't rush it- but don't take your sweet a** time with it either.

agree- form video would be very helpful.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    This happens to me along with skinned shins when I load up too much weight and loose proper form/control. It shouldn't be happening every time though. Maybe time to deload and get your form dialed back into your muscle memory before you load up again. Sounds like your losing proper form when you are transferring the weight between your muscle groups.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You might want to try trap bar deadlifting too.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Not hardly. Contrary to popular belief, there are far better instructors than Mr. Rippletoe.

But is his instruction wrong? (save for the hip drive thing on squats, I totally agree that he exagerates it)
  • JNick77
    Options

It's funny because we had a similar discussion in another thread. When it comes down to it, this does happen to everybody but it should not happen consistently on every set and rep.

The bar should be close to your body but not on your body, well; at least not if you're deadlifting conventional. If you deadlift sumo then yes you setup with the bar on your shins actually. The bar should be about midway up on your foot, roughly, and definitely not on your shins and not close to your toes.
  • JNick77
    Options

But is his instruction wrong? (save for the hip drive thing on squats, I totally agree that he exagerates it)

Just think there are better instructors. Plus videos are generally better than books.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Deleted due to annoying people
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    This happens to me along with skinned shins when I load up too much weight and loose proper form/control. It shouldn't be happening every time though. Maybe time to deload and get your form dialed back into your muscle memory before you load up again. Sounds like your losing proper form when you are transferring the weight between your muscle groups.

This is the only advise you need.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Avoid the top of the knee bruising by letting the bar ride your thigh down till mid thigh then pull knees back quickly and let the bar drop. Although, if you are one that does not reset after each rep then this may not apply
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I just learned Olypmic lifts last week, which start at deadlift form for most. They teach you to keep the bar touching the leg. You aren't doing anything wrong. Crossfit is big for deadlifts and they wear baseball style socks so they don't stratch up and bruise their legs. So I really don't think you are doing anything wrong. Just bruise easily. Try doing that padding idea.
    cross fit is NOT something I would use as a basis for proper instruction.

and no. you should NOT be wacking your shins every time you pull. You do not keep the bar touching your leg- if you are- you are doing it wrong.
    most people keep it to far away- so an occasionally knee bang- good reminder you are keeping it close... that's better to me (IMHO) than to have it to far away.... but no.

not every time.

and please don't use cross fit as your guide.
  • JTick
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will watch the videos and do some more research to make sure my form is correct, and try to get a video if I am able to.

I do only get the bruising on my bad knee, so I'm not sure if that points at a form problem or not. I am almost starting to wonder if that knee sticks out further than my other one and that's why it's getting shanked haha.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options