can't afford gym membership :(

Options

Replies

• cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i got insanity brand new on craigslist for $20, check there!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i punch people and get a sweet calorie burn from it.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Join the military. you wont need a gym

a nice jail sentence could work too.

and both have free food!

Doesn't jail have free healthcare!? I would go with that!

well, yes...i believe it does.

also free buttsecks!

We could finally live together in peace!
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    JM 30 day shred =) Its free; on youtube.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodeefit.com. You get free daily workouts (via e-mail) that are all body-weight only.

ETA: there's videos to explain all of the moves too :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    free workout videos on you tube!

with this one..loads of free workouts :smile:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What I do:
    1) Run outside
    2) Shadow boxing DVD
    3) Step aerobics (you can do with or without a step, depending on what you like)
    4) Various bodyweight exercises like pushups, squats, lunges, burpees, mountain climbers, and pyramid pushups if you're feeling extra froggy that day.
    5) Stairclimbing- If you don't have stairs in your home, go to a high school football field and use the bleachers. Slow and steady wins this quadricep race.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions! A few others, if you have a wii then zumba and my fitness coach are both programmes I love to do, also a skipping rope is inexpensive, and perhaps my favourite workout, the "drink a bottle of wine and dance like crazy whilst doing karaoke at the top of your lungs" programme (wine optional of course) :drinker:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Can't really add much to what the others have already posted except to add I've lost 100lbs working out at home with videos, Jillian Michaels, BeFit and Fitness Blender on Youtube, Turbo Fire and Focus T25 from Beachbody.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    SWORKIT app.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions! A few others, if you have a wii then zumba and my fitness coach are both programmes I love to do, also a skipping rope is inexpensive, and perhaps my favourite workout, the "drink a bottle of wine and dance like crazy whilst doing karaoke at the top of your lungs" programme (wine optional of course) :drinker:

No, I think the wine is a must. :happy:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Join the military. you wont need a gym

a nice jail sentence could work too.

and both have free food!

Doesn't jail have free healthcare!? I would go with that!

well, yes...i believe it does.

also free buttsecks!

We could finally live together in peace!

JCVD+I+Love+You.gif
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I do 30 min exc. every day, the moment I wake up. Just Google, 200 squats, and you'll find an app designed by a Swedish man, that you can logg the number of squats, push ups etc. It has helped me a great deal. I can now do 80 sit ups, and on my way to the same level I was two years ago. I also do silly things like running up stairs and escalators. I avoid running down, as the impact is three times the bodyweight. At weekends, I dance to floor fillers, or walk along the canal. Skipping is also fun, when noone is looking.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Run outside.

Bike outside.

Get some cheap dumbbells.

Get some resisistance bands.

Get the You Are Your Own Gym app.

Buy a couple cheap exercise DVDs.

Search for circuit training workouts on youtube.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

QFT
  • Natareeree
    Options
    Thanks peoples :) I greatly appreciate all the suggestions !!!

I know "the gym" is not the be all & end all of all exercise, I'm just looking for ways to get creative (as I don't have a creative bone in my body) :P
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Go to the library and look for fitness DVDs there, too. That's how I first tried Tae-Bo (many years ago), Jillian Michaels, and many others that I decided weren't worth the effort of renewing or remembering :laugh: It's free, as long as you remember to return them on time. (Or is that only in my area? I don't know what libraries are like elsewhere but assuming…)

IF you really would like the gym, shop around. I have a Gold's Gym membership for $10 a month - that's like cutting out one fast food meal or a couple of trips to Starbucks. I don't have access to the classes, though (I don't need them/wouldn't use them, but some people would consider that a deal breaker). Not saying you should go to the gym, but if it's just the cost stopping you, I'm putting it out there as an option.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for posting this... and thank you to all responders... I live out in the wop wops and have no access to a gym. Am seriously considering getting a Wii, and will dust off some of my exercise DVD's to add to my walks and cycling. I especially like Women's Health's "The Wedding Workout", which allows you to choose what you want to train that day, and customises a workout for you. Plus, I find that particular instructor to be a supportive one (rather than the drill sargeants on some other videos).

Also need to dig out my jumprope!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of people throwing out a lot of great ideas, but let me ask you this, have you priced around? (Now if you happen to live in a small town maybe what I am about to say, will not apply.) I know where I live there are two or three gyms that advertise out the tail, and they charge about $100 a month, which they make sound like a deal, but shopping around there are a bunch of gyms much cheaper, most running $10 to $20 a month, without fancy contracts beyond a $20 signup charge. I belong to two different gyms (one close to work and one close to home) and I barely pay $25 a month, total. Now they do not all the fancy classes, but I was not looking for classes, I just wanted the equipment.

At the same time there are plenty of free routines available on the web, which people have already pointed out before me. And there are plenty of things that you can do for free like walking, hiking and running.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    efit30.com too
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you have a Five Below near you, I just got two 8lb dumbbells for $4 each!