This is driving me nuts!

Options
As I just sat here parceling out my 12 raw, unsalted cashews, I started to reflect on my new life. The life that I have designed for myself due to the years of abuse and neglect given to my nutrition and health. Knowing that I have to spend the rest of my life overly cautious about everything I put in my mouth, because I chose to eat anything I wanted for so many years. I have to say this makes me angry. I'm not going to stop my healthy living, but I truly regret not being responsible when I was young, fit and healthy. God has given us this body and we are to be good stewards over it. Just my thoughts. What are yours?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No regrets. Accept yourself for who you are. Forgive yourself for who you were or what you did and forge on. No one is perfect. We all made bad choices. The first step to being successful is to forgive yourself, set the goals and keep the focus going forward not backward.
  • msmonique46
    msmonique46 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great advice.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Like the man once sang...."Everybody's gotta serve somebody."
  • msmonique46
    Options
    BTW, congrats on all your weight loss.
  • msmonique46
    Options
    ?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your reasoning. If you were smaller, your TDEE would be smaller, and you would have to eat less anyway. Right now I'm eating *maybe* 100-200 less calories than I would if I was at my goal weight at maintenance, and that's because I only have 13-15 lbs to lose. A month ago I was eating close to what I would have eaten at maintenance if I was smaller.

Basically, what you did in the past really has no impact on what you can eat now. Sure, if you did a lot of yoyo dieting and ruined your metabolism, you might be able to eat 10% less food once you're at maintenance (once your metabolism is reset), but that's probably it...
  • msshirleyo
    msshirleyo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is often discouraging when you think of all the years wasted, but you have to believe it will get better! Most of us who have been overweight or have been sedentary for a long time, find it even more discouraging when we finally take the plunge to make a change. Be encouraged, it is definately a life style change.

TRUSTING GOD....

Lord, I am ready to make a fresh start today. I place the past in the past where it belongs. I admit that I am unable to do this on my own. I need your help. Please remind me daily of your love for me just as I am, but also remind me of your desire to see things change in my life. Please help me Lord. In Jesus' Name....Amen.
  • msmonique46
    Options
    It is often discouraging when you think of all the years wasted, but you have to believe it will get better! Most of us who have been overweight or have been sedentary for a long time, find it even more discouraging when we finally take the plunge to make a change. Be encouraged, it is definately a life style change.

TRUSTING GOD....

Lord, I am ready to make a fresh start today. I place the past in the past where it belongs. I admit that I am unable to do this on my own. I need your help. Please remind me daily of your love for me just as I am, but also remind me of your desire to see things change in my life. Please help me Lord. In Jesus' Name....Amen.
  • msmonique46
    Options
    Lovely. Thank you. I will use this prayer!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

TRUSTING GOD....

yeah.

no.

just no.

Lifting for jesus- that could totally be a thing?

I guess.

I dunno- whatever works for you honey.
  • WendyGr8
    WendyGr8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't have to be as tedious as counting cashews for the rest of your life. For one, you get accustomed to about how 12 cashews feels in your hand, about how 28 goldfish crackers look in your soup, about how much 3 oz of chicken looks..... & ya go by feel after you reach your goals or on a "day off" or at a family picnic. You will get past this phase and you will know how to take care of yourself because you spent the time educating yourself to know which choices are healthier, which calories are worth the nutrition, which calories are worth the satisfaction. This period of hyper vigilance does pay off & it does pass :)
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    After your at maintenance weight for awhile, your stomach shrinks, your new behavior becomes a habit you dont even have to think about, you get used to eating smaller, healthier portions of stuff, and counting calories isnt really necessary. Exercise daily....it just becomes second nature, a new you just like the old you, but better!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel NOW but believe it or not, YOU DO get used to it/it gets easier and you don't feel so "overly" cautious. PLUS You begin to kind of know what a serving of things are overtime without having to measure/weigh. Stick with it. It becomes effortless, easier and your taste buds and appetite change! PLUS you can totally indulge every now and then.
  • msmonique46
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I'm looking forward to the second nature phase.
  • msmonique46
    Options
    Thanks. Congrats on your 25 pound weight loss.