The final days before a 5k...

Options
I have a 5k on Sunday which I will be jogging and walking, about a 50/50 split as it is a very hilly course and running and I are not good friends as it is and then add the hills well you get what I mean. I walked the same race 2 years ago in just under 52 min, so hoping to hit the 40s this year with running some.

But my question is what should I be doing in the final days before the race? Light work, regular or rest? Currently I plan to do my normal workout on Thursday, then scale back on Fri, then just do a light 20 min walk on Saturday with the race on Sunday. Or should I just do what I normally do (40 min, 4mph on the treadmill, with some 5.5/6mph spurts in there).

I know I'm not going to have stellar results on Sunday, but I want to go in there knowing I'm giving it all I can.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I would do the light workout 2 days before the race. The day before the race - either take a rest day or only one quarter the light workout. Have fun.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    Well my prep work worked out well. Thursday I did an incline work, then just an easy 40 min 3.5mph walk on Friday and off on Saturday. Sunday was my 5k and I managed a personal record of 39:03 over a minute better than any of my training 5ks and a heck of a lot hillier of a race! And to think my I'll be super happy number was 45 min! LOL
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    that's great news! NSV!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!