Wearing a red dress to a wedding?

Options
I have this cute little red dress I planned on wearing to a wedding I'm going to this weekend. I showed a co-worker a picture and she said "You can't wear red to a wedding! That's as bad as wearing white!"....I've never heard of not being able to wear red, unless of course it's one of the wedding colors.

So now I don't know what to wear. Is there really a rule about not being able to wear red? Even if there's no rule, do you think the dress would be ok? I need honest, so I figured asking random strangers on the internet is the way to go! :drinker:

ETA: Yes, I am wearing a cardigan over it! Just haven't decided which one yet, which is why it's not in the picture.

jzdytj.jpg

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    looks pink to me
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    That is a beautiful dress but unless it's a totally non-traditional wedding-you should not wear red- and I would question the strapless part too. (if you wear strapless you should have a shrug or something...)
    Red white and black are three colors that traditionally are not worn.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Tone it down with a cardigan and you'll be fine.

Wearing red to a wedding is ok. Being sexier than the bride is not.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think probably that rule was made by a bride who was envious of how good her friend looked in a short, strapless, ruched red dress!

And I'd never heard of that rule till a few years ago anyway. (And also, wtf is up with not wearing any of the wedding colors? What if your one nonblack, nonwhite dress happens to be in the wedding colors? Do you just not go?)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Rules like that are silly. Just don't dress in a way that would draw attention away from the bride. That's all. Have fun!
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    Tone it down with a cardigan and you'll be fine.

I was definitely wearing a sweater with it! Just more concerned about the color issue.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is news to me, and I just got married AND was in other posts pointing out that white/ivory dresses were a no-no to a wedding.

I don't think it's bad that it's strapless, for one. I also wouldn't say it's very flashy, and I wouldn't say it's very "steal attention from the bride."

What is the context of a wedding? What type of people, location, etc. That can determine whether it's okay for a wedding better than just a poll: Grandma from Alabama might say no, but Auntie from downtown Chicago might say, "Of course."

ETA: Red IS a wedding color in some cultures, but I'm assuming that's not the case here?
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I try to never wear a red dress to a wedding.

On you, I think it will be fine.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on the bride. Some would be fine with it, and some would have your head. I think if you wear a cardigan with it, you should be good to go.
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    This is news to me, and I just got married AND was in other posts pointing out that white/ivory dresses were a no-no to a wedding.

I don't think it's bad that it's strapless, for one. I also wouldn't say it's very flashy, and I wouldn't say it's very "steal attention from the bride."

What is the context of a wedding? What type of people, location, etc. That can determine whether it's okay for a wedding better than just a poll: Grandma from Alabama might say no, but Auntie from downtown Chicago might say, "Of course."

ETA: Red IS a wedding color in some cultures, but I'm assuming that's not the case here?

Irish wedding with an open bar! It's for a really fun couple, and I honestly don't think the bride would care at all (I wouldn't wear it if I thought she would), I just got concerned with hearing that red is not allowed. I figured posting on here I'd get some feedback from new/soon-to-be brides that would know better than I would.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I have this cute little red dress I planned on wearing to a wedding I'm going to this weekend. I showed a co-worker a picture and she said "You can't wear red to a wedding! That's as bad as wearing white!"....I've never heard of not being able to wear red, unless of course it's one of the wedding colors.

So now I don't know what to wear. Is there really a rule about not being able to wear red? Even if there's no rule, do you think the dress would be ok? I need honest, so I figured asking random strangers on the internet is the way to go! :drinker:

jzdytj.jpg

RED is perceived as a colour that attracts a lot of attention. A show-stopping colour. Some might consider it rude and tasteless to wear anything that would take the attention from the bride. How close are you to the bride? An option would be to ask her, if she is alright with you adorning the solid colour and cut.

Would it be alright? Depends on the dress code. Many modern brides would not mind. A fitted cocktail dress jacket or shrug would certainly tone it done some ~ not by a lot ~ some. I still do not believe that you should make yourself look dowdy though.

Good luck!!

ETA: A long jacket might work too@ achieving a more conservative respectful look ~ for a traditional wedding.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I always thought the rule was to not wear red to a funeral. I agree with what others said - just don't outdo the bride and you'll be fine. :)
  • jadedgrrl
    Options
    I was just at a wedding 2 weeks ago and several women were wearing red. If there was a rule, I don't think anyone pays attention to it.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The only no-no's I'm aware of... No white/ivory and don't match the bridal party, lol
    I say wear it, looks nice!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Wear the dress. I've never heard of the red rule either. Wedding's are for dressing up not down.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    NEWS_arya-stark-twins.gif

game+of+thrones%252C+season+3+the+red+wedding+episode+9+%252810%2529.gif
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that rule. No white!!! But no red??? As the bride I wouldn't care one little bit! I think it totally depends on your bride. This is ALL ABOUT HER!! :smile: If she's not going to feel like you are trying to out shine her then go for it, you look great! Have fun!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

jzdytj.jpg

Just from your title alone, "Wearing a red dress to a wedding," is just as frowned upon as some would mind the adornment of a red dress to church, highly determined by the cut/style/length and tone of colour on the body type and the age of the wearer.

You say it's for an Irish Wedding outdoors, those are always fairly relaxed affairs. You clearly know them (the couple) and them you, so if they'd not stated a dress code restriction, then surely what you deem appropriate can not possibly raise a few eyebrows.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the "no red" rule...but if I were you, I would wear that sweater or a jacket to tone it down...at least until the party. :-)
  • cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of the red rule BUT I would agree with putting a little shawl or something over it where it is sleeveless. I have never seen sleeveless not covered up somehow at a wedding.