Dairy Sensetive

Options
hjy319
hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
I’m not completely dairy intolerant, but sensitive to it. Is there anyone else out there like me and how do you deal with it? I have been taking lactaid when symptoms arise, but sometimes they don't help and I end up throwing up from the dairy. This is very few and far between, but very frustrating to say the least! Especially since I can be fine eating dairy one day and the next day it just kicks my butt!
I really don't want to cut it out completely, I guess I'm just looking for others with this issue for support!

(I have spkoen to my doctor and know it is only a sensitivity, not an allergy or full intolerance)

Replies

• ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't really have any tips for you, but I do have a tidbit of information.

I have heard of a delayed sensitivity, where the sensitivity symptoms doesn't take effect until 12-24 hours after. I wonder if this is happening for you?

I hope you can find someone who can help. Really, my only suggestion would be to cut dairy, but that is something you are not willing to do so....maybe talk to your doc?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Avoid dairy is the obvious answer. There are plenty of non dairy alternatives out there. Why eat something that is making you sick that makes no sense
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I am also sensitive/intolerant to dairy. There are lactose free milks, as well as soy/almond/rice milks that you can use. So Good even makes a soy ice cream, the vanilla is really good! There are also lactose free yogurts. Depending how sensitive you are, you may be able to eat cheese. If that bothers you, you'll just have to cut that out.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Milk and ice cream will get me if it's much more than a little bit. Cheese doesn't bother me, thank goodness. I drink lactose free milk. A little more $, but I love me some milk. If I'm going to eat ice cream, I try to take a lactase enzyme pill before/with my first bite. If I wait to long to take it, it doesn't work.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, there are non-dairy alternatives! There's coconut milk, rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, Earth Balance (or other soy) butter, yogurts, creamers, cheeses, and ice creams made out of several of these. Hopefully you find something that works for you :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My sister had the same kind of thing, throwing up but not always, from dairy, and eventually she stopped with cow's milk products. She used soymilk and soy cheese for a while but that was also a no-go, so now it's rice or almond milk, occasionally coconut, and Daiya has some cheeses she can eat (nut based maybe). There are a lot more choices now than there used to be, at least for at home cooking, but it nixes a lot of processed foods.

I know it stinks to lose a food and it made family meals a bit tricky for a while, but on the plus side once she got her food intolerances out of her system, she dropped about 30 pounds without dieting at all. It was amazing!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same - it started in my early twenties and now that I'm 29 I cannot eat dairy without feeling stomach pain within an hour or two. I have to avoid it all together which has really helped me make more organic, raw food choices since there is always dairy in processed stuff. so I love that! I dont miss dairy one bit.

I do have eggs, some cheese and lots of greek yogurt and cottage cheese without issue.

I use dairy free sites like chocolate covered katie to make desserts!

let me know if you have other questions about it!