salad ideas for a non - salad eater?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm trying to make a bit of a lifestyle change and am hoping to lose around 10 kg. I always hear how people are eating salads to help with weight loss, but my problem is I struggle to eat salad, I have even gagged on some attempts! I would appreciate any tips or recipes for salads as I really want to train myself to like them. Also, any ideas on how to stay motivated for longer than a week would be great too! This is my first ever post, so I hope it makes sense lol! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    What is it about salads that makes you gag?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you dont like salad, dont eat it... all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit...

you should eat some fruit and veg for the health benefits of the vitamins and minerals and fibre, but that doesnt have to be salad!
  • lisamaree78
    lisamaree78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it was the texture of the lettuce, it got stuck on the roof of my mouth and it has put me right off! And I think it's just trying to get used to different flavours and having no idea what goes nicely together.
  • ekvandyke
    Options
    Maybe try salads without the lettuce/leafy greens. You can bulk up on denser vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, chopped cucumber, etc. with your typical (healthy) salad toppings. Hopefully these heavier vegetables will be easier for you get down...and they have lots of nutrients and fiber to keep you full, which is a major bonus. :smile:

Good luck!
  • lisamaree78
    Options
    I eat fruit & veg every day and have no problem with them. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a bit more variety!
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    The thing about salads is that just about anything goes. And they don't have to include lettuce!

Start with the vegetables you do like and just mix them together. Add things like grapes, strawberries, cheese, nuts or seeds for different textures. You can also experiment with different dressings - from plain old oil and vinegar to freshly squeezed orange, lemon or lime juice.

Also if you search the forums for salads you'll find a load of recipes to get you started.
  • lisamaree78
    Options
    Maybe try salads without the lettuce/leafy greens. You can bulk up on denser vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, chopped cucumber, etc. with your typical (healthy) salad toppings. Hopefully these heavier vegetables will be easier for you get down...and they have lots of nutrients and fiber to keep you full, which is a major bonus. :smile:

Good luck!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you don't like something, then why eat it? Weight loss is as simple as calories in v calories out, at least at the beginning when you have a lot to lose, so simply count your calories and learn how much you should be eating. I use salad to bulk out plates of food as it gives me a little extra to eat (I hate it when I've finished my plate in a few minutes when everyone else is still eating) but if you don't like it then it won't be any fun.

If you don't like lettuce specifically, why not try just things like cucumber tomato, celery.. there will be things that you enjoy, so focus on those rather than things that you don't even like.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Off topic, but GemmaRowlands, what a transformation. You look like a different person!
  • lisamaree78
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have never even tried cucumber, celery and needless to say salad dressings! I think it's time I tried a few different things..... Who knows, I might even enjoy them lol!
  • Genette38
    Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourites.

Thai Chicken Salad:Serves 2

Half a Sweetheart (or other white cabbage head) raw and sliced into thin strips.
    2 medium carrots raw sliced into thin strips
    1 pepper raw sliced into strips
    1 onion raw sliced into rings or half rings.

2 breasts of chicken, cubed and cooked

2 tablespoons of Nampla fish sauce
    2 tablespoons on lime Juice
    1 teaspoon of dark brown sugar.

Put the chicken on to cook, I normally dry fry mine in a non stick pan.

Put the Nampla, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl and mix until the sugar dissolves.

Put all the vegetables in a big bowl and mix it up, add the cooked chicken and the sauce and mix.

Serve and enjoy!

Carrot, cashew nut and orange salad is also good but I don't know the recipe off by heart. You should be able to find it on the web though.
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    fruit salads are awesome!! chop some fruits up maybe add some cottage cheese!! like some of the others said if you dont like it dont eat it.
  • pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of lettuce, so I substite shredded raw red cabbage, rocket and watercress into my salads,
    theres so many options to pick and chose from, you are almost certain to find combinations you like.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's no special weight-loss benefit to eating salad- lettuce is just a nice bulky leafy veg so it literally fills up your stomach. That's why lots of people eat salad on weight-loss plans. You can lose just as well eating other veg.

Do you prefer crunchy veggies? Try crunchy romaine lettuce if you haven't already. Shouldn't stick to your mouth like most other more limp salads will. Add toppings you like- my current favorite is chopped apple, gorgonzola cheese and tomato over lettuce with homemade light balsamic vinaigrette. Taco salads are awesome too- black beans, corn, avocado, chicken or taco meat or vegetarian taco meat (my pick).
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Add tuna or shrimp to make them more filling
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have never even tried cucumber, celery and needless to say salad dressings! I think it's time I tried a few different things..... Who knows, I might even enjoy them lol!

Wow, we really need to get down to basics with you, don't we?!!

Try cucumber - it's great! Slice some up with tomatoes and onions and you have a basic salad. Add some feta cheese for variety. Slice an avocado, grate a carrot, throw in some olives. Use pasta or rice as a base and add peppers or sweet corn or tuna. Use mayonnaise or salad cream for creamier dressings or play around with different flavoured oils and vinegars.

You can have lots of fun with salads. Just remember to weigh and measure everything so you get the calories right otherwise you're kind of defeating the purpose!
  • LoreBetty84
    Options
    Ugh I hate salads too. Do you like Greek salads? I love these, they're so yummy.

I'll share my favorite recipe with you. Maybe you'll like it.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cherry_tomato_cucumber_feta_salad/
    (I subtract the olives, mint, oregano, and shallots on mine-some I dont have on-hand and I hate olives.)

I've done it so many times I make my own variations. I throw in some Farfalle (bowtie pasta) and turn it into a pasta salad.
    It's so easy and basic that you can just create your own version based on what you like.

There's also another I'm dying to try:
    Mango, Arugula (try cucumbers instead!), coconut flakes, avocado and walnuts. Dressing: 1/3c balsamic vinegar, 2t sugar, 1/4t ground black pepper, 1/4 c EVOO
    I think if you threw some grilled chicken in that one, it could easily be a meal.

You might also want to experiment with different versions of lettuce. Perhaps if you don't like iceberg lettuce (I hate that kind and refuse to buy it), you'd like romaine lettuce for it's tougher texture and crunchier feel.

Ok well let me know how it goes. I'm still experimenting myself. :smile:
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What about smoothies? You can add spinach/lettuce to a fruit smoothie. The color isn't the greatest but you can hardly taste it. I usually use 1/2-1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 cup milk (plain almond milk is really low cal), 1 T peanut butter or PB2 powder, 2 cups spinach/lettuce, and blend with a couple icecubes if need be. Sometimes throw in some ground flax seeds, chia seeds, or dry oatmeal to make it healthier/more filling.
  • lisamaree78
    Options
    Wow! Thanks again everyone for all of these great ideas, I really appreciate it. You have all motivated me to try new things and to stop being so fussy! I think there is going to be a lot of trial & error going on in the kitchen in the next few days :smile:
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I used to think I had to eat salads to lose weight, and I thought I didn't really like them either. I discovered that it's the red cabbage and cos / iceburg lettuce I don't really like. I only like cherry or plum tomatoes, no salad tomatoes. But I do like spinnach and rocket so I now use those as a base of my salad. I like a bit of crunch so add things like raw red onion, diced up bell peppers and sweetcorn. I'll mix up grated carrots and grated cheese and put a tablespoon of that on top. I tend to just use light salad cream as a dressing as I love that stuff and have it with everything.

I don't often have salads as it works out pricey to buy all the things if you don't have them regular. But now when I do fancy one, I just have what I like and totally enjoy it.