Beans Beans...

Options
2»

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I just had a third of a tin of mixed beans, some fried mince beef with onion and couscous for my lunch - all cold and made a day or two ago and yummy.

Also lentils and other dried pulses. Curried lentils are great

Soups with either lentils or beans in. I would go for a broth with bits rather than blend it but thats personal choice.

Rice and beans is good too - its a caribbean thing they call rice and peas.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of White Chicken Chili using lots of beans. Cost is about $15-20. But you get another meal out of the chicken and broth. And the pot of soup easily lasts all week for lunches and some dinners. It also freezes well.

Get a rotisserie chicken from the store. I buy mine at Sam's Club, it's huge for $5. Pull off breast meat and reserve for another dish.
    Toss the rest of it into a stock pot and cover with water. Boil for about an hour. Then pull the rest of the meat off of it. Use this leftover chicken for the chili. Pull out all of the bones/skin and use the liquid for your broth. (Don't throw away those bones/skin, you can throw all of that into another pot and boil for another 3 hours with a diced onion to make another 4-6 cups of awesome broth that can be used for another dish!)

Depending on the size you want to make will depend how many cans of beans you add. (or soak dry beans overnight).

I generally add 6 cans of beans, without draining liquid. I try to go with white beans primarily but its whatever is on sale. Northerns, garbanzo, chick peas, lentils, black beans, kidneys, etc, etc. A low sodium version on beans is always a good idea as the sodium is high with so many canned items.

Dice up an onion and add to it. Optionally, I will sometimes add some corn or carrot.

I add 1-2 cans of picante. Here locally, there is a brand called Yellow Gold diced tomatoes with chilies. You can also add regular diced tomatoes and add a couple jalapenos instead. Depends on how hot your taste buds are.

Spices:
    4 tablespoons of cumin (To taste, start with 2 and work up)
    Fresh cracked pepper
    2 tablespoons of garlic powder

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beans and Lentils dishes are my favorite. Just like you said, they are cheap to make, and they are filling, and taste delicious.
    My favorite beans dish is Chakalaka (South African dish), and lentils dish I love Dal (Indian).
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kay_can
    Kay_can Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chicken Taco soup from Allrecipes. I double or triple the beans amount using (dry) black beans and red chili beans, and I use homemade no salt chicken stock. From the slow cooker into 8 oz ball jars that go from the freezer to the microwave and is an easy, satisfying low fat, low cal meal.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Beans are a staple in our home. I've been experimenting with them in desserts. Especially with the red adzuki beans.
  • suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm making tonight; use a little extra broth or water and it's a great soup. Originally a Southern Living recipe.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-lentils-10000001842426/
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    16 bean soup is the business!

I recently made this on my 6 qt crock pot and it was absolutely delicious, even my finicky fiancee loved it! After we had some for dinner there was plenty left over to store and freeze for a while.

I tossed in a couple of chopped root veggies (baby red potatoes and carrots), low sodium chicken stock, water, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, little cayenne pepper and pan seared salt pork (cut into small pieces) and let it cook for 10 hours on low.

Per my fiancee's request I baked some cornbread to go with it. ....k, i'm hungry now.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    One of the cheap and fast....and not to forget very healthy meals I make is a good Pico de Gallo ( chopped onion, tomato, cilantro and a spritz of lime/lemon juice and chile to taste ). To keep it really simple I add after the beans ( any kind will do , but I especially like black beans, chickpeas and lentils ) some sweet corn, top with natural yogurt and eat it with whole wheat crackers, tortillas, flat bread, pita bread etc.
    If I want more protein I add a pouch of tuna, a small can of sardines, octopus or anything of the kind and again eat it with the afore mentioned bread. If I want to save carbs, I put a spoon full of the mix on a lettuce leaf and eat it like a taco.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    "kitchen sink" burrito bowls.... mince whatever veggies you want... mix in salsa and beans then stirfry till cooked : )
    I "rice" broccoli because i cant eat rice but i guess you could add rice too

Yesterday I used black beans and canned pumpkin puree(real cheap+tons of fiber) along with a lot of other veggies and made a stellar dish!
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    So many great ideas here! I got a half pound of black beans soaking now. Can't wait to try some of these recipes