Want to start running but am a horrible runner. Tips?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'd love to be able to start running (at the moment I stick to walking) but I have never been a good runner and find I get out of breath in about 1 second! I attempted that couch to 5k program a couple of years ago....but it was more like couch to ER! Does anyone have any tips on learning to run long distance or am I a lost cause???

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    C25K

ETA: Slow down if you did it before and failed.

Did you have a walking base before you started? 3 days a week for about 30 minutes? If not start there then bring in C25K. It does work if you stick with it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Run slower.

And remember that the more you run, the better you get at running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slow. A lot slower than you would think you should be able to hold a conversation. Don't worry even if your running at the same speed you walk at speed will come in time. I never got on with C25K either so I just set my own walk run routine and increased the running sections myself over time. C25K is not suitable for a lot of people do your not alone.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Start out by walking and after you are warmed up, jog a little. When you are starting to get out of bereath go back to walking until you can breathe again, then start jogging again. just keep up that routine and in a few weeks, you will notice you are jogging more and walking less, then you are on your way!!
    Good luck

Basil
  • namitchell04
    Options
    I'm having the same issues, I can and do walk around 6 miles a day but my asthma won't tolerate any running/jogging. I've figured it's not as easy for everyone so keep trying different things and see what works for you x
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues, I can and do walk around 6 miles a day but my asthma won't tolerate any running/jogging. I've figured it's not as easy for everyone so keep trying different things and see what works for you x
    45771453.jpg
  • svbeyer
    svbeyer Posts: 11
    Options
    I think it is absolutely wonderful that you can run for one second. So, when you are out for a walk, break into a one-second run. Enjoy the feeling, and stop when you are out of breath. Do that just a few times on each walk. After a while, you will find yourself running for two seconds. Then thirty. Take it easy. Each time, enjoy the feeling of your body in motion. Build slowly. Run for pleasure. You will amaze yourself.
  • emmajohns88
    Options
    Lol, cheers! I'll try my one second run tomorrow morning :)
  • Kiwigirlkim
    Options
    Run in the dark with a friend wearing a Jason mask!! That would make me run faster than an Olympic runner!

Just swap, change masks. Chainsaw??

Ok, maybe too much! (Pitch this idea to my friends! )
  • Kiwigirlkim
    Options
    45771453.jpg

Just started singing the song for GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound like me two years ago - i could walk, and walk fast, all day long with no problem, but running was totally different. Always hated running, but something clicked in my brain and challenged me to run. I did use c25k, went as slowly as needed to complete each week's time, and by the end I was running for the full 30 minutes without stopping.

If I can learn to run at the age of 43, anyone can!
  • emmajohns88
    Options
    Good idea but the Jason mask might hinder my breathing even more! Any tips on how to overcome this?
  • Kiwigirlkim
    Options
    Good idea but the Jason mask might hinder my breathing even more! Any tips on how to overcome this?

Haha, sorry. I'm terrible with ideas! I ran for 2 minutes and I thought I was going to die. Worst two minutes of my life!! lol

Good luck!
  • mnatal79
    mnatal79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This was funny... i agree... that'd definitely make me run faster too... :)
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You might have to change your running routine to make it more gradual. That's what my friend did with the C25k or else she would have health problems. Now she's 200 pounds lighter and runs 5 miles each day. Keep at it, and you'll become addicted to running!
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are able to try out aqua jogging. That's what I do since my running shoes are ruined and I'm waiting for my next paycheck. You go through the same running motion but without the wear and tear on your body while working out your body through water resistance. I highly recommend it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You won't get better until you try
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I was told if you are having a hard time, when the running portion comes up, run slow. If you can do that, walk in a jogging motion with your arms and legs. It trains your body and then the speed and distance comes. I could barely do a minute when I started. I got up to 30 minutes in 6 weeks.

Fake it til you make it basically.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I still don't think i'm qualified to answer as I'm just beginning to run myself. But I posted a topic similar to yours back and I got lots of wonderful advice. Here is the link to it if you're interested.

The main things that I took away from all the comments were:
    1. You need good shoes
    2. SLOW DOWN...I was trying to run too fast and too long to start out with
    3. Pay attention to your body, your breathing, your feet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105493-i-just-want-to-run

Good Luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Start out slow, run/walk, short distances if you have to. And just try to do a little better every time.