Stronglifts 5x5 Program

Options
Is anyone currently on this program, or tried it in the past? If so can I get your views on it please.

I was always under the impression that Isolation Exercises were the best way to build muscle, but this program solely focuses on Compounds with no isolation at all - seems rather alien to me, so before I jump ship i'd like to hear some others views please :)

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'm doing 'starting strength' which is very similair (and worth a read if you want to know the reasoning behind doing the big compound lifts).

as far as i know, isolation is more useful for bodybuilders not those who are trying to build overall strength.

the big compound lifts give you 'more bang for your buck' calorie burn wise as your using more muscles obviously. you also spend less time in the gym and they're using natural ROM allowing you to use stabliser muscles that machines/smith machine etc. wouldn't hit.

someone else should hopefully give you a better explaination :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts are significantly more efficient.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

And a time saver!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I loved it. I gained a decent amount of strength and my muscles started to show. Compound trumps isolation for me.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started six weeks ago and I love it. I am seeing results and I lift heavier every time! My abs are rock solid (you just cant see them yet).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This. Isolation is good for working on weak points, but for real muscle and strength gain, compound lifts all the way.

Stronglifts is an excellent beginner program.
  • 3laine75
    Options

told you someone else would explain it better :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The truth is somewhere in between. :)

Yes, I've done SL. I recommend it highly for someone who wants to minimize time in the gym. You'll achieve very good results for the time invested. But you may eventually desire more overall development.

Adding some isolations and more overall volume will give better results. I'm currently doing ICF Novice 5x5. It addresses the gaps in SL, and it is a better program for someone who wants to put in the time.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

But mostly, just get started.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

But mostly, just get started.

QFT. I do Stronglifts and LOVE it. But I'm older and just trying my wings at lifting. Just start!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Too bad the guy that started the program (well stole it from Starting Strength and called it his own) is a real azzhat.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    Mainly compounds here. As the workout goes on I move toward more isolation exercises. Get stronger to build muscle. Build muscle to get stronger.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

isolations are for sculpting- those programs are designed and built for bodybuilders.

think of it like this- you only have 2-3 days to work out- and limited time (which describes like 95% of the people who want to work out)... would you rather run around to Shop Rite/Kroger/Alberstons for your food- then the back to school store for your kids- then Macy's for your clothes...

or would you rather just go to a Super Wal-mart and do all your shopping all in one trip. get everything you need- save time and gas?

Compound lifts are like shopping at wal-mart- you are making ONE trip- to hit as much of your body as you can.

Isolation lifts are like shopping at specality stores- takes longer- and you have to do more 'running around'.

compound lifts FTMFW.

Strong lifts- starting strength- new rules of lifting... all great programs. I highly recommend them.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Too bad the guy that started the program (well stole it from Starting Strength and called it his own) is a real azzhat.

Not sure where you get this from but I have had mutliple conversations with Mehdi and he is a good person. I also disagree that he stole anything from starting strength, are the routines alike? Sure, of course, most heavy lifting routines have most things in common. Seeing as how SL 5x5 IS FREE, not sure what the big deal is. Mehdi has nevered said anything negative about starting strenght or Riptoe.
  • 3laine75
    Options

Not sure where you get this from but I have had mutliple conversations with Mehdi and he is a good person. I also disagree that he stole anything from starting strength, are the routines alike? Sure, of course, most heavy lifting routines have most things in common. Seeing as how SL 5x5 IS FREE, not sure what the big deal is. Mehdi has nevered said anything negative about starting strenght or Riptoe.

haha they are identical (except one lift). the book, IMO, gives better advice and doesn't spam you everyday.

i have no probs with him copying the routine (in fairness, i think its been around for years and years, they have both just repopularised it) and making money - good on him - he's also got more people doing the routine, which is a good thing.

but you have to admit, surely, that he is indeed an azzhat?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    He needs to update the app to be able to change the weights in iOS7, that's what he needs to do lol.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

haha they are identical (except one lift). the book, IMO, gives better advice and doesn't spam you everyday.

i have no probs with him copying the routine and making money - good on him - he's also got more people doing the routine, which is a good thing.

but you have to admit, surely, that he is indeed an azzhat?

The lifts are the same other than one yes, but, 5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps, whereas starting strength has you do only 3 working sets of 5 reps. So there is a difference in the one exercise, but also in the programing 5x5, vs 3x5.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    There is nothing new under the sun.

merely more media and marketing. I'm pretty sure Romans were deadlifting long before strong lifts OR starting strength came out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This. Isolation is good for working on weak points, but for real muscle and strength gain, compound lifts all the way.

Stronglifts is an excellent beginner program.

What they said. Strong Lifts is a great program - easy to follow, not too time consuming. Plus deadlifting is addictive ;)
  • star4781
    Options
    Well it sounds like compound exercises has quite a few fans/followers, I loved the Wal Mart analogy also - so thanks for your opinions, gonna research this & the ICF program a bit more on Tinternt :)
  • JoRocka
    Options

What they said. Strong Lifts is a great program - easy to follow, not too time consuming. Plus deadlifting is addictive ;)

Guuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllllll

if I could deadlift every day- I would.

it IS addicting. Seriously- no lie.

Although I'm addicted to Front squats right now- and slowly working into over heads- I suck at them- but yeah- I can't help myself.