Does Sweating Help Burn More Calories?

Options
I've often heard that you should sweat as you're excercising so I was wondering if the actual act of sweating cause you to burn more calories or is it just a way to measure how hard you're working?

I'd just hate to be missing out on extra calories I could be burning, because I chose to wear cool clothing and didn't sweat enough :-)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the body's way of cooling itself. You're only losing water which you should be replacing to prevent dehydration so keep wearing your cool clothes and go hard.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Sweat isn't an indicator of how hard you're working. When it's hot and extremely humid outside I can break a sweat just sitting in the heat. I'm not overweight or out of shape.

Sweat is your bodies natural way of cooling yourself. I sweat when I jog, when I walk very fast, when I box, when I lift, etc. It was downright chilly during my walk yesterday and at times I wish I had worn a heavier jacket, and I still sweat.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sweating doesn't have anything to do with calorie burn. In Florida during the summer you walk outside at 6am and start sweating just because of the high humidity. This doesn't mean you are burning anymore calories, it just means it's hot outside. Sweat is simply the body's way of cooling itself, nothing more.