Can't stop eating crap!

Options

Replies

• Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    All of these posts have a lot of good information. Only one thing I would add: Find your WHY!!

Why did you lose the weight? Why are you wanting to keep the weight off? Why does it matter?

For me I have a special needs son and I have to be here for him, for the rest of HIS life. I don't have the right to leave him.....he needs me for than i need that cookie!! :happy:

I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your messages, just to clarify some points:

I had lost 2.5 stone by sensible eating and exercise it was onlythe last .5 stone that went when I was at my worst point and depressed, so I had changed my lifestyle and learnt new eating habits.

I have been on medication for my depression for 12 months and it was working well until the last few months since I returned from holiday.

I normally do have self control but this last few months I can't seem to find the effort, I eat to feel happier, then feel sad because I have eaten too much and then eat some more! A vicious cycle that I have to break, which for me is easier said than done at the moment. I thought if I gave myself a break for a few weeks that would help, but rather than just eat to maintain my weight I have put on.

My plan is to start tracking calories again so that I am more accountable for the amount I have eaten, it is difficult to not have sweet things around with kids at home but I will limit the amount of them I eat. Wish me luck!
  • nekoxvampyx
    Options
    stop buying "crap" and u wont be as tempted and if u have a sweet tooth then buy healthier sweets
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Same boat. I'm an emotional eater and addicted to junk. I try to justify that I should be able to have it once in a while but before I know it I've eaten a whole bag of chips or multiple chocolate bars. Stinks. I try to not have too much of that stuff in my house.
  • LucyDel1
    Options
    Your body will 100% reflect those decisions. Want a crap body? Please, continue! If you would like to have a body that you love, know that its pure **** and you will taste it for 2-3 minutes then your hips will feel the rest.
  • LilchookNZ
    Options
    I don't think people who say "oh, just incorporate a reasonable amount of junk food into your diet" understand how stress/emotional/binge eating works. A reasonable amount is not remotely satisfying when you're in that state.

It's not "I want 4 cookies but I'll stop at 2." It's "I have this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat the whole package of Oreos I might die" and then 10 cookies in it's "I feel a little sick and should probably stop but I've gone this far and I only feel a little better." and then it's "oh my god, somebody's going to notice that 3/4 of the Oreos are gone so now I have to buy a new package to cover my tracks".

It's so much easier not to keep Oreos in the house to begin with.

When you have "this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat a whole package of Oreos I might die," zero Oreos won't satisfy you either.

Not keeping triggers in the house is fine. But there's absolutely no reason to ban certain foods from your diet.

At some point, for this to work, you have to learn some level of self-control and moderation. If you can't do that you are doomed to failure. Learning moderation is a hell of a lot easier than learning abstinence.

I'm an emotional eater too and when I get in the mood there is no stopping me, and its compounded by the whole "I will start tomorrow so I will eat every crap thing in the house before beginning" - only tomorrow never comes.

For me the point is that NO oreo's will satisfy me. I want to feel stuffed so that I stop other feelings, and I can get to that point more easily with high sugar and fat foods which are easy to eat a lot of because they taste so good. Also, when I'm in a binge cycle I eat them so often that my body craves them. I have trigger foods which I don't think I will ever have a 'normal' relationship with, though every now and then I think I can (hasn't yet worked out). I am jealous of those who can eat anything they want in 'moderation' and can incorporate controlled amounts of anything into their daily diet. I have to realise that I am not, and probably never will be one of those people.

Kellster, I'm sorry that you are stuck in such a horrible cycle I know how desperate it can make you feel. I think there are some really good comments on here about finding why you are feeling unhappy. For me, the best times are when I don't make a drastic plan but just decide that I will try, just for one day, to do it differently. Just one day might be enough to make you feel more in control and ready to face the next.

My latest trick is delicious fruit teas with a sweetner. I really like the other ideas on here about treating yourself in other ways like baths.

All the best and I hope things turn a corner for you soon xo
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't think people who say "oh, just incorporate a reasonable amount of junk food into your diet" understand how stress/emotional/binge eating works. A reasonable amount is not remotely satisfying when you're in that state.

It's not "I want 4 cookies but I'll stop at 2." It's "I have this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat the whole package of Oreos I might die" and then 10 cookies in it's "I feel a little sick and should probably stop but I've gone this far and I only feel a little better." and then it's "oh my god, somebody's going to notice that 3/4 of the Oreos are gone so now I have to buy a new package to cover my tracks".

It's so much easier not to keep Oreos in the house to begin with.

Oh, Yes...I do this. I have also gotten in the car and made a specific trip just to get what I am craving. It is a "state" that you get in.
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments. I made decision to up my medication at the weekend and told my husband what had been going on. He is very supportive and we have made a plan for me to have a bit more time to exercise, I had a good weekend staying within my calorie limit while still having a treat of a glass of wine, so I am feeling more positive.
  • LilchookNZ
    Options
    So glad to hear your feeling more positive and have got your hubby there to support you!
    All the best :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    you probably can't reach your nutritional goals if 50% of your daily calories are coming from cookies

determined-challenge-considered.jpg

Just to update everyone, challenge has been accepted and conquered.

1611 calories from cookies. 3102 total calories consumed.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Awesome. Now meet your macros with a calorie limit of 1800. Or 1300. You have a big margin for discretionary calories, dude!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    wow I have the same problem... I love junk food and no matter how hard I try and no matter what I tell myself I cant seem to avoid the junk!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Awesome. Now meet your macros with a calorie limit of 1800. Or 1300. You have a big margin for discretionary calories, dude!

You can still meet both calorie and macro goals with sweets. Haagen Daz Gelatos help me meet my fat macros.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No problem. I spent 6 months this year with a calorie goal of 1800 or less. When I switch back to cutting I'll do it again, I promise. Keep your eyes open ;)
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Same boat. I'm an emotional eater and addicted to junk. I try to justify that I should be able to have it once in a while but before I know it I've eaten a whole bag of chips or multiple chocolate bars. Stinks. I try to not have too much of that stuff in my house.

My husband said I am an emotional eater too... I want the bad food so bad that I fianlly give in and eat it and then feel like crap afterwords :(
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
  • mariechaffins
    Options
    I find myself eating too much junk at night. It can be controlled because I have done it before and I can do it again. So can YOU! When I am being good figure out my meals ahead of time and I also figure in a snack at night. If I cut snacks out totally thats when I blow it. Something else that has helped me is flavored hot tea. It really has become a treat for me and is comforting. I am currently trying to get back to business. Everyday this week was ok but definitely room for improvment. Here s too better times ahead.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    you probably can't reach your nutritional goals if 50% of your daily calories are coming from cookies

determined-challenge-considered.jpg

Knew you could do it, Jonnythan.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i hear ya..i also got rid of my fat clothes hoping that would motivate me to stay on track, but it didnt..i have been doing this for almost 3 years, and i have literally gained back half my weight just in the past year and a half or so..i could use the advice too, and feel free to add me if you like..best of luck:drinker: