Desk Job

Options
I have a stressful and sedentary job. I share an office with someone and company policy requires us to keep our door open, sooooo I'd feel like a nerd doing obvious exercises at my desk. We have about 30+ employees and our office doesn't even have a break room so I'm stuck at my desk all day! Anyone have any ideas for mild physical stress relief during work?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Brisk walk on your breaks, take the stairs, stand while on the phone, toe lifts for shin development, lots of pee breaks. I have a desk job but I'm up and down all day doing things so I don't worry too much about my 8 hours. I make sure to get an hour of physical activity in after work.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Brisk walk on your breaks, take the stairs, stand while on the phone, toe lifts for shin development, lots of pee breaks. I have a desk job but I'm up and down all day doing things so I don't worry too much about my 8 hours. I make sure to get an hour of physical activity in after work.

I pee constantly and the bathrooms are all downstairs. I should ask to have my desk moved upstairs :D
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    haha I have this same issue. are you an accountant by any chance??? :)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Look into getting some foot pedals under your desk, maybe you can pedal while you work.

Also, you can try twitching. Curl your toes, move your feet in slow circles, clench and release your calf muscles, then your thighs, then glutes. Then start over with your toes. Move on to shoulders, and down your arms. It's not much and I don't count it towards "exercise" and "calories burned" but it doesn't hurt to do and it keeps your muscles warm/stretched.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i get two 10 minute breaks and a half hour for lunch. i walk my two 10 minute breaks everyday. no matter what. as far as lunch goes. sometimes if i eat and have time ill walk some mins there too. or if i bring like a quest bar for lunch. ill walk my entire 30 mins. walking really does help. even those lil bits. at least for me.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Desk job as well.
    I go to the gym before work and then get daughter off to school.
    I try to get out of the office for a walk at lunchtime if I can - even for half-hour.

Think I would go nuts sitting here all day long!!!
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    haha I have this same issue. are you an accountant by any chance??? :)

Insurance underwriter. Close enough!
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    Look into getting some foot pedals under your desk, maybe you can pedal while you work.

Also, you can try twitching. Curl your toes, move your feet in slow circles, clench and release your calf muscles, then your thighs, then glutes. Then start over with your toes. Move on to shoulders, and down your arms. It's not much and I don't count it towards "exercise" and "calories burned" but it doesn't hurt to do and it keeps your muscles warm/stretched.

I like the foot pedal idea. I bet they're quiet enough that they won't bother my office mate and discreet enough that I won't look like a total dork to people who walk by :)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Can you go on a walk during your lunch break? Also, getting up at least once an hour to walk around just for a bit.
  • cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have some and it's great. Just be sure to keep it oiled, it can get squeeky and that will bother your co-workers. The problem I had was I had headphones in and didn't realize it was squeeking until I was informed by my neighbor. lol
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water, so I get up to get water or go pee at least once an hour. Instead of calling coworkers when I have a question, I just walk to their office.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Do squats, wall pushups, or whatever else you can in sets when you take a trip the the ladies' room. Aim for 100/day. Or whatever amount to start and work your way up.
  • operaprincess1
    operaprincess1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary desk job as well with glass walls...so everyone can see everyone else (We call it the fish bowl), but I make sure I get up and stretch every hour, walk on my breaks, use the stairs, walk during lunch...I did find my mom's old Thigh Master and round workout bands and used that while working at my desk and wow, the rest of me might be a bowl of jelly, but I have lost inches off my thighs.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have a completely sedentary desk job, 12+ hours a day, at home (web design, development, marketing) so I could get up and move around a bit more freely.

For completely different reasons however I have had my eye on this elliptical that you could easily put under your desk: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VICRO8/

They also make standing desktop desks that you put on top of your desk, they lift your keyboard, mouse, and monitor up so you can stand instead of sit. These are adjustable so you can sit back down without putting it away. Sitting so long can really be bad for you so I am likely to invest in one of these ASAP.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I agree wtih all the suggestions previous...also, could you have your company order you one of those chairs with the big balance ball? That would work your core all day long!!!

http://www.gaiam.com/balance-ball-chair-and-cover-kit/95-1560.html?start=2&cgid=4010000
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    They also make standing desktop desks that you put on top of your desk, they lift your keyboard, mouse, and monitor up so you can stand instead of sit. These are adjustable so you can sit back down without putting it away. Sitting so long can really be bad for you so I am likely to invest in one of these ASAP.

I just read an article yesterday on the fabulous YouTube offices in San Bruno, CA....they have desktops on treadmills so their employees can walk while they work!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree wtih all the suggestions previous...also, could you have your company order you one of those chairs with the big balance ball? That would work your core all day long!!!

http://www.gaiam.com/balance-ball-chair-and-cover-kit/95-1560.html?start=2&cgid=4010000

Because these sit inside a frame (of sorts) .... there are not really "stability" balls. Much of the core work is not needed because you don't have to work to keep the ball stationary....it's permanently stationary.

Re: Balls without "chair frames" .....ask HR ....your workpalce may frown on this (worker's comp).
  • laurenvan143
    Options
    Oh man I have the same issue!!! I am an accountant and I share an office with 3 people and we at least keep the door closed but its a glass door and when people walk by and see me doing some lunges or even better my huge cooler of portioned out food for the day, its a interesting experience lol
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    I have a completely sedentary desk job, 12+ hours a day, at home (web design, development, marketing) so I could get up and move around a bit more freely.

For completely different reasons however I have had my eye on this elliptical that you could easily put under your desk: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VICRO8/

FYI I have one of those ellipticals and it's a great space saver but I don't think it would do much for you under the desk. It just isn't arranged and aligned to work unless you're standing up on it. You have to be really careful with your balance too.
  • nephalime
    nephalime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Im an accoutant and i have the same issues ! i sit all day long at my computer for 50 to 60 hours a week and it is open space so everyone can see what everyone's doing.

I tried to aim for about 100 calories a day, so what i do is i drink ton of water and whenever i go pee, i do 15 squats and 15 lunges. I also get up when i talk over the phone, always stand up whevener talking to co-workers, walk super fast in the hallways and i print document one bye one so i can get up to go to the printer often.

It's the little things that count the most. And really my co-workers already think im weird so i don't really care that much :)