High protein dinner ideas? (cooking for kids!)

Options
sarahnc_
sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
So, I'm currently working as a live in nanny for a family in france. Once a week I get to be in charge of dinner, and I'm trying to find some high protein low carb recipies that the kids will like too! I find the family just eats a lot of pasta, rice, and potatoes, and not a lot of veggies...

Any ideas for something not too complicated, that the kids will enjoy?

Thanks!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    just add more meat, less carbs to what they already like - or just do yours that way then everyone's happy?
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would disguise the veggies at first- mashed cauliflower instead of potato etc. Or cover the vegetable in cheese- works for most American kids.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    If they are used to eating a certain way and you offer something completely different and possibly less palatable, they may resist it or dislike it (depending on the age and personality of the kids and their relationship with you). Why are you trying to go low carb with them? My suggestion would be to modify something they already like with maybe one novel item rather than trying to do something completely different.
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    They lived in the US for several years previously, and the mom's recipe books are mostly american- they just don't have a lot of time for more complicated dished sometimes!

Also not necessarily looking to go low carb- just less carb... and because I'm tired of pasta and rice, and I'm allowed to mix it up once a week!
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Baked chicken tenders- YUM. Rachel Ray has a good recipe that kids can help with I think it's called chicken toes.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    what about steaks? they are high in protein and don't have carbs
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Maybe something like a low carb pizza would be good -- there are a lot of recipes if you google it, and there is always the "cauliflower crust" pizza. You also get a lot of hits if you google "low carb recipes for kids".

That's cool that the family lets you cook once a week! You always hear about the diet in France being so much better than in America (although I know the cultural norms around eating play a big part of that) but it sounds like they are eating American food anyway. Good luck!