feeling sleepy when working out

This has started for me over the last year or so. I used to be so energetic and felt energised after a good workout, now during any workout I yawn through the whole thing. I feel bad as I go to classes and I don't want the trainers thinking I'm bored. I feel so sleepy throughout the workout I could just take a nap right in the middle of the class. When I'm finished and go home I'm still really tired, but when I go to bed I toss and turn and never sleep through the night.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    You're sleepy because of you're tossing and turning at night. Do you sleep with the TV on? Is it noisy where you sleep? Are you taking in any caffeine late before bed? There are a myriad of reasons that cause sleeplessness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Don't have a tv in the bedroom, and I live next to a graveyard so it's pretty quiet there. I suffer from night terrors, which wake me up completely panicked and terrified which leads me to not get back to sleep right away. I've started to limit my caffeine intake through the day and stop it completely by mid afternoon
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    You're tired while working out because you aren't sleeping well. Ever try melatonin supplements? About 20mg helps me when I can't sleep.
  • katield83
    katield83 Posts: 228 Member
    I would be very interested in finding a reasonable explanation for this too. I thought I was the only one who is yawning while working out.
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    I've never tried melatonin supplements, but I have tried herbal sleep aids (not sure if they are the same thing). They don't seem to work for me. You're all probably right, I need to get more sleep so I'm not sleepy through my workouts. I'm thinking I should probably get off my butt and go to the doctors because when I do sleep I can sleep for up to 11 hours and still feel exhausted throughout the day (I know I'm over sleeping then).

I'm really wanting this to work for me. Maybe getting my food habits in order will help me get my sleeping habits on track. But if anyone knows the cure for night terrors, fill me in as they are not fun to deal with.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    By any chance do you snore? My hubby has sleep apnea and he was always tired during the day because he never really slept well and he would have crazy dreams. He went for a sleep study and was put on a CPAP machine. He sleeps 8 quality hours now and feels great.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Have you tried concentrating your carbs at dinner?

That puts me to sleep. Otherwise I toss and turn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Don't have a tv in the bedroom, and I live next to a graveyard so it's pretty quiet there. I suffer from night terrors, which wake me up completely panicked and terrified which leads me to not get back to sleep right away. I've started to limit my caffeine intake through the day and stop it completely by mid afternoon

It sounds like you need to go see your doctor.

I tossed and turned all night long and had night terrors until I cut out diet coke, which is loaded with caffeine. Caffeine can do some strange things.